Countdown problems?

Great time in Chicago....

Best $12.75 I've spent in a long time! Thanks DCI!!!!!!!

Hey, Contrajedi8....If you are so honked about it not being a Classic Countdown, then what corps did you watch at home last night??? BTW you missed some good preview material.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

AMC Northpark here in Dallas....only one side of speakers were working. Sounds like poor recording quality since other locations were having the same problem.

JT...which theater were you in? I was in 11 and it seemed fine to me...maybe I'm just losing hearing??

I was pretty pleased with the levels, etc. 100+ people in the room...kind of a quiet bunch...no yelling on Vanguard...no 'SUTA' on Phantom (including me...I think that's copycat and dumb, personally...and I'm an alum!). A little applause at the end of...Crown, maybe? I think that was right. Very little applause/noise during/after Spartacus.

Overall pretty good...crowd seemed kind of light...due to no mention of Cadets?? Maybe should have done a special on them instead of PR to get some video time in on the 9-time champions...PR will probably win the event in judging, so get Cadets some press, eh? Couple of Will jokes, but nothing of substance came out of the PR segment. What with Cadets history, and the new electronics rules going into place, it seems natural to go chat with Hop instead of PR.

Who knows--maybe they asked and Hop said, "Na'ah..no thanks."

our sound here in Louisville was horrible it was WAAAYYY too soft, but thats my only complaint.

i went to the one in laredo tx. it was pretty lame. the countdown started off pretty good. it was a too soft but i didn't mind i guess. then half way through the bluecoats performace the picture went out but the audio went out. then about 10 mins later someone from the movies said that the light blub in the projector blew and they had to get another one and it would take 5 mins. well 5 mins turned in about 20 or 25 then it finally come on but they put it on again from the beginning. but after that nothing else happened. but it kinda sucked.

So about 85-95% problems discussed were with their volume around the country...

Is it just me... or does DCI need to fix this themselves? Pump up the volume on the recordings! This is their like 9th time doing this Cinecast thing. I believe started with the countdown in 2005 and did the countdown in 05, 06, 07, 08 and now 09 with the Quarterfinals of 05-08... correct? Anyways, this isn't a rare occurrence where the volume was low on this one.

My thought is... even at it's loudest volume, it's not loud enough for DCI fans.

It's very hard for me to understand why low sound is a continuing problem in so many drum corps presentations in cinemas. Most of these theaters have sound systems that can knock you senseless during a scifi or action movie. You would think they would understand that the sound SELLS TICKETS when it's done loud enough and makes people say, "I'm not coming back" when it's done too soft. And DCI and Fathom don't seem to care enough to get this fixed, either. Unbelievable.

Attended at Hollywood Theatres in Colorado Springs, nice new theatre with all digital projection 2 different problems.

First the DCI promotions said 7:30, the fandango website said 7:30, the theatre marquee said 7:30, and the printed ticket from the theatre said 7:30. So naturally the theatre starts the show at 7:00. Fortunately the thatre manager handled it properly and gave everyone that hung around to complain afterwards 2 free tickets, and they restarted the show again after the show was done. Why they just didn't restart the show at 7:30, I can't figure out...

The second complaint echos a lot of other experiences. The sound was crap, for the first 4 shows. Only barely acceptable for the last part of the show. I couldn't hear if the corps if I so much as gently cleared my throat.

I really hope DCI works with Fathom to address these issues before August. I had been tempted to see some of the Met broadcasts, but it makes me wonder if they would have similar issues.

Oh yeah, did anyone else experience this. When Delucia announced the rule change (electronic instruments) there were a lot of boos and hisses.

After reading all these complaints I'm glad I didn't go. If the theaters get massive complaints from the patrons (which they should get) then chances are they won't host anything like this again. They'll just want to avoid the headache. So I see the death of the Countdown coming very soon which will suck for DCI and the activity as a whole. THe ESPN thing has bombed and now this might too....grrrr.

KHAAAAANNN!!!!!

It's very hard for me to understand why low sound is a continuing problem in so many drum corps presentations in cinemas. Most of these theaters have sound systems that can knock you senseless during a scifi or action movie. You would think they would understand that the sound SELLS TICKETS when it's done loud enough and makes people say, "I'm not coming back" when it's done too soft. And DCI and Fathom don't seem to care enough to get this fixed, either. Unbelievable.

In Ypsilanti MI, the Fathom commercial at the beginning was louder and clearer than any of the shows so it wasn't the system in the theater. DCI really needs to look at the levels on the feed because what could have been an awesome show was far from it. I was very disappointed.