Countdown problems?

I attended the Mesa Grand 24 in Mesa, Arizona. We had one very odd problem. The colors weren't working properly and there was a complete absence of blue for the first 3 shows. So the field on screen appeared gray while the Blue Devils and Bluecoats were green for the night. Then right before SCV's show began, the sound cut out to being barely audible above a whisper. They finally fixed the sound for the final three performances. So at least half of it was decent. Also, small crowd, no more than 20-25.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

About 100-200 attendance at Revere, Massachusetts. Volume was fine and I enjoyed the overall presentation. I saw quarterfinals at this same theater and there were no significant problems then either. I did notice a couple "fuzzy focus" moments on the long shots, but for the most part not a problem. It was nice to hear some rehearsal performances from Phantom, Madison, and Jersey Surf. The talent level is impressive and the focus of the kids is incredible. It made me want to pick up my horn and join in! :laughing:

The "I am Spartacus" schtick with Rondinaro was cute. I can't wait for the season!

:laughing::tongue: Two thumbs way down on sound for me, too. I was at Regal Mall of Georgia in Buford. I've already complained in person and in writing to the theater, and I've written DCI.

Beyond a major volume problem, the sound was otherwise dead. I don't think it was stereo, let alone 5.1 surround sound. The side / rear speakers didn't seem to be doing anything. On a system I bought in October used for $50 (probably $200 new), I can hear the roar of the crowd in the rear speakers just after Phantom finishes. From my own system, I finally understand what 5.1 should sound like. There was none of that lively effect at the theater.

I asked them to turn the volume up, but they didn't. I talked to the manager afterwards. She said that they got the request, but the projectionist said it couldn't be turned up more--whether due to (alleged) audience comfort or (alleged) speaker damage, the manager didn't know. As others have mentioned, either one of those is bunk.

Could the producers of the Countdown increase the corps' volume by lowering the volume of the commentary relative to performances? By which I mean: the commentary was plenty loud enough, but the corps were way too soft. I suspect that the projectionist was setting the volume based on the commentary, not the performances. Hopefully the producers can adjust that in the future, but, even if not, if the projectionist has to sit there the whole time adjusting volume, that's what they need to do.

For the record, there were roughly 50 people there, but there were a lot of screens in metro Atlanta--at least 10 screens within roughly 30 miles of downtown.

Edited by SCVAdagio

Seems like a ton of low volume complaints, which causes me to think, was the volume actually THAT low or are we all just hearing impaired from watching and listening to too much drum corps...especially the indoor shows....OUCH!!

Here's a copy and paste of my post about this in the "Who's going where" countdown thread. I was in the Metropolitan in Austin:

I thought the sound was pretty awful. It sounded like two computer speakers at the front of the theater. Crown 2007 was the loudest and most balanced of all the shows. Both of the shows from Denver 2004 were very weak in terms of sound. I really thought this was going to be a lot better. The audience looked a bit awkward. I liked the stuff with Evan and Will, and I wanted more of that kind of stuff. Also, I really wish they would do something that represents more corps and more eras. I don't want to go back to the first Countdown, necessarily (all decades of DCI represented), but there are ways to do this that don't include full shows from every year.

Oh, and SIX participating theaters in Austin meant a tiny audience at our theater. We don't need that many theaters in Austin playing this thing, two of which were literally 2 exits away from each other on the same freeway. The small audience was just such a downer.

I really wanted this to be better. I didn't want to shell out $12.50 for mediocrity, but that's kinda what I got. (not the shows mind you, the shows were some of the best ever but the sound and format didn't do them justice by a long shot!)

But mostly, I am not happy about the sound. I really want my money back. I could have had more fun (and better sound) playing these shows on my computer or TV sound system.

I attended the Mesa Grand 24 in Mesa, Arizona. We had one very odd problem. The colors weren't working properly and there was a complete absence of blue for the first 3 shows. So the field on screen appeared gray while the Blue Devils and Bluecoats were green for the night. Then right before SCV's show began, the sound cut out to being barely audible above a whisper. They finally fixed the sound for the final three performances. So at least half of it was decent. Also, small crowd, no more than 20-25.

The Blue Devils in green for the night??? Ewww... :)

The volume wasn't loud enough at the Avon, IN theater either. :laughing:

Was at the Warrington, PA theater and had no complaints. The manager actually walked through the theater at the beginning and asked if the volume was loud enough! I told him NO but the newbie 2 seats over made a fuss and he kept it where it was. It was fine. No color issues, feed issues, nothing out of the ordinary. Only about 30-40 people in attendance. No audience participation except when Surf came on as about half the crowd was Surf related.

One would hope that DCI would do some kind of organized market survey to determine the overall satisfaction of the folks attending any of these theater events to ensure they are providing something of value - I would not count on using online conversation to count for that, though.

In the meantime, for those who were in attendance, I suggest you might want to provide feedback to the theater

NCM/Fathom Feedback

JMO, but if they receive enough 'general' inquiries as to why the sound level cant be cranked, why so much technical glitches, etc, they may take notice. I'm sure they are willing to please their patrons, especially if they can do so to for a nationwide audience, even though we may be a small market.

the DCI broadcast is listed in the event drop down menu.