I dunno about you,

It's the middle of May. Corps are starting to move in, REAL drum corps is starting (not those lame winter camps), programming ideas are solidifying, members are being molded into performers...and the start of the 2009 DCI season is a month away.

Let's face it, there are a ton of compelling stories and questions this season for a lot of different corps!

Blue Devils: Will their show be retro? Are they going in a new direction or following up in the vein of 2008? The only thing that was can be certain about is that their show will be performed with a peerless sense of professionalism and polish.

Crown: What will they make of their show? The announcement was vague, is the show going to make sense? Are they going to move up to the top 3? I have no idea, but I will enjoy finding out.

SCV: What's their Appalachian Spring going to be like? Having performed the piece this past semester, I look forward to seeing how it is arranged and presented. How will that whole synthesized piano thing work out? Will they move up in the standings? Will they capture the crowd? What will the drill be like (I'm guessing awesome). Can't wait to find out.

Cadets: How are they going to make WSS stand out from previous versions? How is the corps membership going to respond to the pressure of the 75th anniversary? What is the show design going to be like in general? What is the performance level of the corps going to be like? How is the drumline writing and performance going to be different now with new staff? Are they going to recapture the crowd? Can't wait for this.

Bluecoats: New staff, show seems to be a new direction. What is it going to be like? Will they move up? Will their drumline and hornline be even better than the last couple of years? If so, things could get really interesting.

Cavies: New brass arranger, going to some contemporary classical repertoire instead of original music...How different will the show be from previous years? Will they be going in a whole new direction? Will they return to competitive dominance?

Phantom: How do you follow "Spartacus"? Will there be a surge of new talent at Rockford or a letdown? What is The Red Violin going to be like, and can it be another classic? How about those new Quantum horns?

Blue Stars: Will they continue their historic climb? Can they establish themselves as one of DCI's elite? What will "The Factory" be like?

Troopers: Can they continue to climb? How will they balance being contemporary and competitive and stay true to their roots? I await their show eagerly.

Madison: Can they climb up the ranks of the top 12? There's an awful lot of fierce, close competition from top to bottom. It will be interesting to see how it all pans out.

Of course, lots of other compelling stories and questions to be answered for a lot of other corps. Additionally, even though this may arouse the ire of some, I'm interested to see how electronics and mic'd brass are utilized by the different corps. Basically, I can't wait for the season to begin and to see it all unfold.

What are you looking forward to?

Is it June yet?

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I CANT ####### WAIT BRING IT!!!!!!!!!!1

For me one of the most compelling stories will be the fan turnout the first three weeks of the season. These are all long term DCI partners or corps sponsored shows that most fans have attended year after year. If economic conditions keep fans away that will not bode well for the balance of the season. Corps need funds from souvenir sales at every show to make their budgets. I for one can't find a compelling reason to attend more than one show before July 11th.

You just made me amazingly excited. Let's get the season started already!

I am excited... trying to figure out where I will see some drum corps this summer, partly because I don't know where I will be...

Might just have to take a little drive down the road to Johnstown this week and see how things are looking

you should wait until it gets warmer... it was 41 degrees there according to Hopkins (via twitter). Sitting in the stands watching a drum corps learn drill in 40 degree weather = no thanks. haha