Synthesizers in drum corps

BTW guys, if you haven't bothered to notice or actually marched in a top 12 DCI corps; if you don't play the game according to DCI rules, use synths or whatever Hoppy and company are trying to promote, you won't be "perceived" by the judges and DCI as moving the activity forward. Thus, you can bet you won't have a prayer at winning DCI or moving up in the rankings. It's stupid and small minded, but that's just the way it is.

Which explains why every corps to win since 2004 has used vocals.

Err... wait a second...

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Err... wait a second...

:thumbup::smile: :smile: :smile: :smile: :smile:

I have actually conducted tests with a DB meter and there is no doubt that G-bugles project more and are louder and all ranges compared to Bb horns according to the meter. In FACT two valve horns scored the highest and valve rotor and 3 valve were the same...all MUCH louder than a Bb. I was simply curious to see how much volume was lost switching to regular brass instrumentation and it's rather staggering when you take the difference and multiply it by 70. What was surprising though was how fast the Bb fell off DB wise when you moved further away where the G had a MUCH better carrying power.

Have you compared current 3v Bb with current 3v G? My understanding is the difference is length of lead pipe which should not affect the volume that much. Also "real world" I've attended DCA which has a mix of Bb and G corps and I can't tell any difference.

Comparing the older horns I'm wondering how much of the current drop off is due to horn construction and how much is due to current playing styles. That is, BITD the emphasis was controlled volume and today it's controlled blend.

Synthesizers in Drum Corps!!! It is a great addition. Creativity will be unleashed here and it will be amazing to hear what each corps does with this. I love it!!! Be patient about balancing sound - it's new only 25 years old and the directors are still working with it. Give this a chance!!

There - fixed it for you.

I don't think Jim was here when the word "yuck" was declared an attack on kids everywhere. :smile:

LMAO... nope... But now I get the other Jims post. :smile:

But I was a member of "EVERYBODY" on RAMD.... :smile:

Err... wait a second...

You're right....it's not that simple. Musical equipment rule changes become prerequisites for competitive success. Vocals are not equipment, and are not called out on the judging sheets, so they are optional.

You're right....it's not that simple. Musical equipment rule changes become prerequisites for competitive success. Vocals are not equipment, and are not called out on the judging sheets, so they are optional.

Just like using water in the pit will now be a prerequisite for competitive success.

A synthesizer isn't any more a prerequisite for competitive success than any other individual pit instrument.

So what you are saying is, that all those corps that tell how broke they are, had enough money to waste on a new gadget, just because the could. Fans be ######? Tuba lines, see em while they last. Just ask Spirit.