Synthesizers in drum corps

If you give it a fair shake then it might be more enjoyable than you think--it's just a bit different and it's new. I am just asking that people don't discount without giving a fair viewing.

i went in open minded. i judge bands, i judge indoor.

the lack of use despite the hype was shocking, and in most cases, it did nothing to enhance the show, and in many cases, it detracted from the show.

here we are mid July and we still read reviews about balance issues. i mean come on

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey DCI has already jumped the shark how about jump the corps?

fonzie-jumping-the-shark-300x168.jpg

So...I think this has hit the circular argument stage...

1. Corps are forced to use new things or they suffer competitively.

2. Anytime a corps' score falters and they don't use the newest toys, we prove our point.

Pioneer...and I believe the issues were the rag tag shape of those mix and match horns...but ok.

Now Regiment getting penalized because they are not using a synth? Please. Go back to the argument store and buy a new one.

So...Corps managers/directors/BoDs were all forced to make changes? No evidence of this exists. No document...no phone call....no judges sheet...nothing. You can still compete on G bugles and mylar heads if you want. Heck, you can march the pit if you want. You can leave the amps at home and place an honor guard in the end zone. You can. Corps choose not to. Corps management makes those decisions.

They also make decisions to spend money when they don't have it...which is why some have failed...but, no one forced them to write the check. No one.

When I don't like a show...I blame the corps...management/staff. Blaming DCI never enters my mind.

of course you can use G Brass. as Donny Allen pointed out, Pioneer was called out on it by judges.

So where are the folks that want to carry out their vision of what drum corps is to be.....Oh yeah, DCI came along and here we are in 2009 with some rule changes, but it's still drum corps. If you can afford to start your version of drum corps minus electronics, i'm certain I would enjoy it as well along with what I consider drum corps.

they're in the same place DCM is, Garden State is....you either play by DCI's rules or you dont survive.

DCI took over junior drum corps the way WalMart eats retail competition....it did what it could to make sure it was all that was left.

Me too, which is why I support the addition of amps and electronics. Those are great additions...long overdue. Removing them would be 'stupid change'.

well, let's see what attendance looks like if they bother to post it. of course they'll blame the economy

No, you chose to leave DCI...as did a few more like you. If you can't accept new things on the field it's not their fault. You are perfectly free to dislike whatever you want, but that dislike is on YOU, not THEM.

no Mike. DCI made changes that made me not enjoy it nearly as much. I still went a few times to try and enjoy it. I gave them the benefit of the doubt. yet they keep pushing the changes on thru. i wanted to stay...their choices pushed me out. i dont pay to see that which makes me displeased.

I'll posit that every thread on DCP jumps the shark eventually.

When did this one jump it? Or when will it?

If it was one of my posts, feel free to abstain from answering.

when it hits page 300 on my settings i'll declare that Arnolds burned down, Richie moved away and Joanie loves Chachi

I'll posit that every thread on DCP jumps the shark eventually.

When did this one jump it? Or when will it?

If it was one of my posts, feel free to abstain from answering.

Drum Corps is not Marching Band.

Bugles are not Trumpets.

Drum Corps is Marching Band.

Bugles are Trumpets.

All arguments on DCP devolve to this and never get any further. There's an insurmountable wall between these two POVs that can't be breached with logic or emotion or carbide-tipped drills.

Edited by corpsband