Synthesizers in drum corps

OK so here's one of those people that don't know the history. Let me help you. In 1975 the greater Toronto area of Canada had TWO full size corps IN FINALS. Another corps just east of there, the Cardinals, were full or near full size and didn't make it. You can't pretend all the corps were tiny back in the day. We know better.

AND...

Ever watch OC today? Corps with 30 members in them????? Corps that are not full size are nothing new.

hew this is for you and everyone else who has no sense of humor. I WAS JOKING. I only meant more corps is not the solution. And yes i wish every corps that has ever been around would still be around. Their is nothing worst then a corps folding or going inactive.

• Replies 2.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK so here's one of those people that don't know the history. Let me help you. In 1975 the greater Toronto area of Canada had TWO full size corps IN FINALS. Another corps just east of there, the Cardinals, were full or near full size and didn't make it. You can't pretend all the corps were tiny back in the day. We know better.

AND...

Ever watch OC today? Corps with 30 members in them????? Corps that are not full size are nothing new.

oh and dude i don't assume that you know anything so don't assume I don't know anything about drum corps. I don't insult you so please don't insult me.

Balance problems and other performance issues are things that get worked out over time...

How many years will it take?

Unlike your implication, the balance problems so commonly incurred from using amplification and electronics are not mere "performance issues". With A&E, we have separated the device from the performers to the extent that the resulting balance is no longer under their control. And thus, we have severe balance issues all through the season, even at DCI finals.

That's exactly it-bands often do this stuff because they need to-small numbers, or just for the hell of it. A drum corps-even a small one- is entirely capable of putting on an entertaining performance with acoustic instruments. That formula-brass, percussion & guard has worked since the 1920s and is still working well in DCA.

There are bands with hundreds of members that use electronics. Why? For artistic reasons...just like corps do now.

And yes...of course a corps can put on a great show all-acoustic. They can also put on a great show with amps and electronics.

So argue for the sake of argument's sake.

So, wise moderator, can we agree that this thread in particular as MORE than run it's course and it's time to close/move on?

I've seen that happen before in this place.

Or do we enjoy

"Amps are great"

"Amps are the death of the activity"

Does somebody have a gun to your head? Are you being forced to read this thread? Then, please stop being our mommy and move onto the next thread. If it bothers you so much the solution is for You to move on to the next thread, not to shut everybody else down. But, I guess maybe it's all about you.

What I want to know, is what the reasons were that DCI was keeping electronic instruments illegal for so long were (for decades, electronic instruments were feasible, and used by marching bands, yet not allowed in DCI). Whatever those reasons are, whatever the beliefs that those who voted on the rules had that kept them out, they somehow now believe something differently. I wonder what those original reasons were, and why the directors had such a change of heart.

Edited by Hrothgar15

How many years will it take?

Unlike your implication, the balance problems so commonly incurred from using amplification and electronics are not mere "performance issues". With A&E, we have separated the device from the performers to the extent that the resulting balance is no longer under their control. And thus, we have severe balance issues all through the season, even at DCI finals.

Yes, they are indeed performance issues...to be worked out just like any issue. Staff sits up top and adjusts the corps...happens all season long...including pre-DCI.

Both of those finalist corps from the Toronto area folded LONG before the DCI rule changes allowing any-key brass, mic'ed pits, and electronics.

Thanks but I did know that....

I know you're replying to someone else's sarcastic response to field a million corps only half full.

You got that right....

But I don't think there should be any kind of argument that even implies that the abundance of corps in the 70's were plentiful while there is an underwhelming amount of corps today is because of rule's proposals passed in the last decade.

Corps fold because of poor managing. Period.

You know what - that's not true. Some - certainly. My own corps to be sure. But the fact is that touring prices participation out of reach for many kids, and many corps. The touring model caters to a small cadre of elite corps.

The result? Less corps, less kids participating, less shows. You call that success?????

Edited by kusankusho

Thanks for not answering my question. I know I was generalizing and using hyperbole: I didn't realize that only certain people are allowed to, though ("anti- BAD change: ha).

So, do you have an answer, or more circular arguments?

Your first piece of incorrect rhetoric kinda stopped me from bothering with the rest of your post.

The rest of your post is another piece of tired accusation. Why are you still here if you don't care?

To which I have replied many, many times......

We do care - that's why we're here.

So argue for the sake of argument's sake.

So, wise moderator, can we agree that this thread in particular as MORE than run it's course and it's time to close/move on?

I've seen that happen before in this place.

Or do we enjoy

"Amps are great"

"Amps are the death of the activity"

argument over and ......

No, I don't think there's a lot more to say that hasn't already been said.

I'm not the only person who posts on here. Others who do post on here, including you, obviously have more to discuss about this.

Nothing else for me to say here except that compared to the nastiness we saw with a similar thread regarding amps, this thread has been pretty cool overall, IMO.