OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

I will say this for the Scouts:

They have become very good at coming from behind.

In 2007, they were a marching abomination until major changes were made in July and they finished in a strong 14th if I recall.

2008 started much the same way and the ended up rounding out a very competitive Saturday night.

I have been pretty critical of the Scouts the last few years (different story for a different thread) but they have somehow found a way to end the season strong.

I believe in my friend Dann Petersen's ability to put out a product the kids will enjoy performing and the audience will enjoy seeing come August.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hmmm, Scouts get 5th by one judge, Colts and Spirit get 5th from two judges each but we end up 5th. Another reason not to worry.

I believe in my friend Dann Petersen's ability to put out a product the kids will enjoy performing and the audience will enjoy seeing come August.

They are the Madison Scouts. Their product is, more than any other corps, supposed to be one that the kids and audience will enjoy EVERY time they perform it...not just in August.

They are the Madison Scouts. Their product is, more than any other corps, supposed to be one that the kids and audience will enjoy EVERY time they perform it...not just in August.

True, but I was referring to them largely being a mess early season for the last few years and turning it up late.

I'm not worried about placement, I have every hope that they pull through like they did last year.

What I'm worried about is my ability to get the show theme. (Again, I haven't even seen the whole show yet, I'm just having doubts based on some reviews. I think that's normal and I still think I'll enjoy the show either way out of complete bias :blink: )

GO SCOUTS

You're trying too hard. Pow!, Lucha Libre, Black Lightning; take your pick, whatever's going to work for you. :worthy:

They didn't really have much POW! tonight.

True...but this is the Madison Scouts...and there is some brand loyalty that goes with that...and people/fans simply expect more than a 69. whatever from them right now. With that said, it's not how you start, it's how you finish. I think they will finish strong...but 10th or below....which is reasonable imo.

Where's The POW????

OK, with much anticipation, this was my first live viewing of the Scouts (and anyone else) for 2009. I learned years ago that early season drum corps hype is........well, just that, hype! So, I sit back and take it all in with that Missouri attitude of "show me"! Lets not mince words here, no sense in playing vocabulary games, but the two corps directly in front of the Scouts tonight by .o1 and .02 (Spirit & Colts) are performing vary safe, low demand, park & blow, OK, what ever kind of shows that currently have the three battling it out for 12th. Stay tuned.........things are sure to change. BUT, I really came out to see my boys!

Got to start out by saying, I'm really liking the addition of the red sash, it seems to add the visual pop that was lacking last year with the entire look. It's nice to see the presence in size and how wonderful it is to see a "full" guard.........this has been a long time in waiting!

Because of the guard uniforms, write from the get go, the show screams THEME!........I tried hard to find it.........sorry, but I was left guessing and waiting, and that train never left the station.

Visuals..........I was to low to tell. The Scouts are certainly moving as opposed to Spirit, Colts and Blue Stars. But compared to all of the wonderful Scouts guard comments I've heard, Madison's guard didn't match up to all the hype.......their overall work seemed somewhat lacking in the "shock and awe" department.

As to the sound..........Hmmm? The opener kind of got me grooving. But right now, it's just a good opener, and has a long way to go before that classic Scout signature, in your face, set the tone type of heart thumper opener arrives. You know........a little POW! Write now it's kind of, well, anti POW.

I heard a lot of "voices" sticking out throughout the show, and obviously this will continue to be addressed, and the guys need to build their stamina and improve their wind........this will come. But I must say, that I certainly didn't here that "wow" factor coming from the Scouts like I heard from Phantom or at times, the Blue Stars.

Overall though, the boys really lost me after the first 5-6 minuets. I kept thinking, "no, just wait, somethings coming"...........but it never did. I kept waiting for the theme, the super hero, for the heavens to open and for that classic Madison show to arrive. At the end, I looked at my friend and said........is that it?........where's the ending, where's Madison?

After 6 minuets in, it was anti-climatic, sit on the hands dissonance time.

Everyone improves every year, and right now, it looks like a dog fight for the Scouts and a handful of others for 12-10.

Write now, all of that pre-season hype of POW! is desperately lacking and I certainly don't hope the theme has to be re-sold as barely a PEEP! or PEW!

PLEASE............Where's the POW???????

That's a part of the inherent problem with largely all-original score. I would guess, however, that as they continue to get the stamina and control down in relation to the brass book, more can be whittled down in regards to dynamics and mood that will create many more moments. We're only a week and a half into shows...there's time. And I'd personally rather see them grow through finals than to max the show out too early. I am getting the impression that this show has a high level of demand. We'll see what happens.

I'm just hoping for a return to straight-ahead drum corps next season. No theme, no concept...just give me something vaguely recognizable with a cool arrangement and pin me back in the stands! :blink:

Go get it Scouts! POW!!

I'm just hoping for a return to straight-ahead drum corps next season.

Wasn't that what their show announcement THIS season was all about. No frills. I'm your face?

And come on. You can't be looking to next season already, can you? :blink: