OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

Are there actual alumni that can shed light on when the transformation took place. Guys I drank beer with in 2006 were unhappy that the Scouts weren't placing higher and they said they were embarrassed that Madison had missed Finals in 2002. Are they just nuts, was the beer clouding their memory, or has the philosophy changed and the old guys just lost touch?

Bingo!! Scott was still director in 2002. As an alum and parent of an alum, the competitive edge strongly existed when my son marched 2004-06! I think some of my fellow brothers have "just lost touch'! JMHO

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cymbalmom - thanks for the review. It's wonderful when a new generation of the Scouts family starts to understand the passion and excitement that the corps generates. That's what Madison is all about.

Machiavelli - You could fill a library with everything that's been written and said about the Stewart philosophy. As someone who marched under Stewart (1978-1983) all I can add is that I think he had the perfect approach to drum corps in terms of balancing entertainment and competitiveness. There was never any "transformation." The Scouts priorities have always been entertainment #1 and competition #2.

In the 70s, the Scouts were more focused on winning, but always produced a crowd pleasing show. In the late 90s, they let the "screw the judges" thing get a little too public. Trust me, EVERY corps in DCI hates the judging system. Most corps just keep it to themselves.

The current Scouts management has the correct priorities. "Screw the judges" is long gone. Long gone. Their hopes for this season were just as high as everyone else's. They were looking to climb back toward the top 6. They will be taking a good hard look at the final placements and making the appropriate changes. Count on it.

But that process starts on Aug. 9. Until then, the Scouts have 9 or 10 performances to max out. I don't doubt that they will.

I wonder if any of the recent posters watched the show last night and heard the audience response?

I saw the show Thur night and the audience gave the corps props. But many of us remember the Troopers of old when they were placing in 20th place, they would get the biggest roar from the crowd each and every night.

It is my understanding that Scouts always sought/seek? to please the fans first and it sounded like they did.

Well this may be alittle harsh if Scouts don't make finals, they won't be playing for the fans they so dearly love. Finals night is the SUPERBOWL of drum corps and it is the one show that the most fans attend. Quarters and Semi finals are not very well attended. PLaying for finals night this is what every corps strives to achieve.

FYI - in the olden days during the PBS broadcast Madison always wanted to make Top 7 so they could be on TV.

You can't go to the party if you're not invitied and DCI won't let you just crash it.

We will see where Madison is in the next 9 days. If they don't have it fixed and cleaned by quarter finals night, it's going to be over. Oh finals week is where the most souvies/t-shirts are sold all year. If you are not in the Top 12 your souvie sales and therefore your income will suffer. People want to buy t-shirts from winning corps. Check out the lines at Cavies and Blue Devils, then go check out the lines at Spirit and Crossmen.

Edited by RBarron10

Cymbalmom - thanks for the review. It's wonderful when a new generation of the Scouts family starts to understand the passion and excitement that the corps generates. That's what Madison is all about.

Machiavelli - You could fill a library with everything that's been written and said about the Stewart philosophy. As someone who marched under Stewart (1978-1983) all I can add is that I think he had the perfect approach to drum corps in terms of balancing entertainment and competitiveness. There was never any "transformation." The Scouts priorities have always been entertainment #1 and competition #2.

In the 70s, the Scouts were more focused on winning, but always produced a crowd pleasing show. In the late 90s, they let the "screw the judges" thing get a little too public. Trust me, EVERY corps in DCI hates the judging system. Most corps just keep it to themselves.

The current Scouts management has the correct priorities. "Screw the judges" is long gone. Long gone. Their hopes for this season were just as high as everyone else's. They were looking to climb back toward the top 6. They will be taking a good hard look at the final placements and making the appropriate changes. Count on it.

But that process starts on Aug. 9. Until then, the Scouts have 9 or 10 performances to max out. I don't doubt that they will.

Thanks for adding some clarity and insight. So, the run off with Regiment was actually a great combination of the two approaches. Try to win the championship while giving the attending crowd a highly entertaining night that will never be repeated!

I guess my hope is that the leadership cares where they place, not just the decibel reading of the crowd after a performance. That in it self would be a recipe for death.

I was curious about how Madison compared to the first show of the season and spreads then and now.

June 21 Rockford/Spread to Madison/July 25 DCI Atlanta

The Cavaliers +11.9 +13.5 The Cavaliers

Phantom Regiment +10.9 + 8.5 Phantom Regiment

Carolina Crown + 8.7 +12.65 Carolina Crown

Colts + 3.0 +2.55 Colts

Blue Stars + 1.0 +7.55 Blue Stars

Madison Scouts Madison Scouts

Interestingly, early season spreads seem to provide a good indication of what the year will look like. Blue Stars!!!!! What an impressive improvement.

"Well this may be alittle harsh if Scouts don't make finals, they won't be playing for the fans they so dearly love. Finals night is the SUPERBOWL of drum corps and it is the one show that the most fans attend. Quarters and Semi finals are not very well attended. PLaying for finals night this is what every corps strives to achieve. "

Beautifully stated.

The frustration seems to be that the Scouts' show is better in concept and potential than it is in performance. Last year's show, "La Noche . . . " provided an excellent base upon whiich to build. (That show still has some of my favorite drive time music.) This year's show was not an extension of "La Noche" - - not that that's a requirement - - but when the Scouts' "glory days" are cited, often a series of years, such as the matador shows of '94, '95, and '96 are referenced; shows which build from previous year's themes. The Scouts have been in a buliding mode this century. Rebuilding involves a complex of problems that are not easily solved. (Ask any professional sports team that has been in or near the cellar for an extended period of time.) I think fan familiarity with what to expect from a Madison show is waning. I'm sure that thought is already going into next year's show. I would like to see the same thought going into a package of shows - - at least from a general concept - - that would recapture an identity for the Scouts for the near and, perhaps, long term future.

Edited by dieselfume

2009 Madison Scouts - You Inspire Me

I had the priviledge and honor of traveling with the Scouts from San Antonio to Murray KY.  In all my 54 years I have never been more tired, more stiff and sore from sleeping on the Suvee truck and gym floors.  But I also have never been more excited about what I saw in a bunch of young men on a mission.  Never once did I hear any corp member complain, every member I talked with was upbeat and determined to be their best - for us.  More than once I saw neccesity be the mother of invention (Team Tarp). 

Last night we fed this crew in the pouring rain at Murray State. The rain hit hard at the exact moment for dinner, taking down our setup and moving was impossible. - then I watched one volunteer after another pop up unbrellas and cover the food table so the corp and staff could have dry food - BRILLIANT!!  Oh - I no longer have use of arm movement above my head - but I think that will come back eventually!  Team Tarp was a group of about 16 corp members that went through the line with a tarp over their heads - and sat on the wet ground in same mannor to eat a tasty meal of chicken and pork tenderloin that was to die for! Tracie, I cannot wait to see your pics.

To the loyal fans of Madison Scouts - these guys are busting their butts to fine tune this show and give you their very best, they can use your very best support in return, and they know you will be behind them coming down the home stretch.

To the staff and volunteers, thank you for allowing me to be a part of this family, it meant a lot to me to be able to help out in some small way on my sons age out tour.

A special thanks to Bill L. and Tracie, and all your friends that gave of your southern hospitality so these guys could have a great meal. 

To Charlie, Mike, Chef Dave, Loretta, Anita, Martin, Jeff, Lee, Claire, Dan, Sandy, Stanley, Andrew and anyone else who has volunteered for these guys this season - THANK YOU and see you in Indy.

One last note - I sat 10 rows up on the fifty yard line for the Scouts San Antonio show and had my face ripped off like the guy sitting in the Memorex commercial.  AWSOME!!!

GO SCOUTS!!!                      

POW!!                                   

BYBO

It was great to see you and your family at Dantanna's in Atlanta. Hope your travels home were better than how you arrived. I thought the show at the Georgia Dome was wonderful . . . the guys were pumped and the crowd was very enthusiastic. All in all, I wish the guys all the love in the world for the next two weeks of shows . . . POW!

GO SCOUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I actually thought that the S.A. show was cleaner than Atlanta.

Lots of individuals sticking out in the horn line.

Sixteenth dotted eights dirty by drumline.

Multiple tounging - dirty.

Superman pose at the beginning had guys bringing their arms up at different times.

Superman shield form was dirty.

Lines splitting yard lines were crooked.

Don't know what to say. Some say the "vehicle" may not be there, but there is PLENTY of work to do to maximize this years vehicle.

With all this being said - if this is a 15th place show, then this may be one of the best semi-finals lineups in DCI history.

According to the Scout site only 8 shows until semi-finals to make up 3.35 points to get into 12th place - as of today. Lets clean, clean, clean.

GO SCOUTS!!!