OFFICIAL 2009 Madison Scouts Thread

Just got home from tour. After reading the last 20 or so page's I feel it is a waste of my time to even come here anymore.

To the Madison Scout fans and most of my fellow Alumni . I am sorry that I must stop coming here and shareing what go's on with The Madison Scouts. I just can not do it any more. There are a few people that have just gone too far for me to just ignore any more.

Bill Leslie

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It was great to see you and your family at Dantanna's in Atlanta. Hope your travels home were better than how you arrived. I thought the show at the Georgia Dome was wonderful . . . the guys were pumped and the crowd was very enthusiastic. All in all, I wish the guys all the love in the world for the next two weeks of shows . . . POW!

GO SCOUTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOL!! We actually made it back to St Louis without any further incidents, thank you. We did however have a "boot" on two of our wheels when we got back to the car and had to pay $50 to get them off. Thanks for the hospitality Atlanta!

That being said, I'm glad we decided on Friday to make the drive to Atlanta and see the changes firsthand. Fan Network is not anywhere near as good as live. I really like what I saw, brass sound is there for sure (be proud brassy mom). they have some cleaning to do for sure - but Scout Fans - do not count this group of talented young men out - they intend to be there on finals night. If they don't make it - it will not be for lack of effort.

I spoke with a DCI official who said that there were 6,000 in the seats when the Scouts were on, and almost the entire lower level where I was gave a SO. Many around me who had seen the show before really like the changes.

GO SCOUTS - PUSH ON MEN

I got to see the show on the FN last night and it is a HUGE improvement over when I saw them in Dubuque.

Finals...nope.

But I could see them picking up some steam and mixing it up for 13th or 14th before this is all through.

I thought they really brought it last evening and given all the givens...that again, says something. But, it's not like anything unexpected from this group.

Nice work last night Madison.

Go Scouts!!!

I got to see the show on the FN last night and it is a HUGE improvement over when I saw them in Dubuque.

Finals...nope.

But I could see them picking up some steam and mixing it up for 13th or 14th before this is all through.

I thought they really brought it last evening and given all the givens...that again, says something. But, it's not like anything unexpected from this group.

Nice work last night Madison.

Go Scouts!!!

I second that completely. Your horns sounded great!

- but Scout Fans - do not count this group of talented young men out - they intend to be there on finals night. If they don't make it - it will not be for lack of effort.

GO SCOUTS - PUSH ON MEN

:blink:

I couldn't have said it better.

And Bill L. come on back to the thread brother, we miss you already.

When I was a kid back in 1985 in Allentown, seeing the Scouts buses pull into the parking lot with the fleur de lis on the side was a moment of absolute magic

The Men of Madison were like movie stars to me...they arrived with an aura...swagger...excellence...mystery...and my imagination ran wild trying to fill in the rest...

back in the day, scores were not the measuring stick...no one knew who scored what until the numbers were PRINTED....in DRUM CORPS WORLD....a WEEK LATER!

the staff was not high profile...no familiar or dissected names or personalities...they were just the staff...typically recognized by the simple fact that they were standing out front and looked a little older (and a little scruffier).

judges? no one knew names....no one had access...they wore green shirts and left after the show....

the corps director....a name, but not typically a personality....but larger than life, nonetheless....a person of esteem and respect...

And we didnt value the corps by last night's score....we didnt compare success and define failure so much...we simply enjoyed it when this circus came to town!

And if it was an awesome show but didnt score (87, 90, 07), we left happy with the Scouts but disappointed in the judges....those bad guys just didnt get it!

...and we waited for the next time they came to town....but weren't they awesome? The CROWD LOVED THEM!

And our imagination was allowed to do the rest...you got to dream of being in the Scouts and you bought a t-shirt and wore it proud...even if no one else around you knew who the heck the Madison Scouts were....you felt 10 feet tall and bulletproof in that snare shirt or horn shirt...and, when you put it on, you felt a little closer to greatness.

that, my friends, was a simpler time....very little monday morning quarterbacking; very little heaped criticism; a whole lot of wide eyed appreciation...

see, you can hear the corps better with your mouth shut and your ears open....you can hear tradition...you can hear passion...you can hear effort and enthusiasm and excellence...

2009 needs a remedy...and I have one...SHUT OFF YOUR COMPUTER...SHUT OFF the 'need' to know...the 'need' to criticize...the 'need' to quantify....and turn on your imagination....let the anticipation of seeing the Scouts and cheering them on when they hit the starting line be your 'need'.

Let the 11 minutes they are on the field engulf your passion...in a singular moment....not compared to anything else....

and let them wow you...they want to deliver....let them!

I'll see the Scouts in Buffalo on Aug 2. I'll be the one with the hair standing up on the back of my neck, heart racing, hands cupped to my ears...waiting for the gift they bring that night... And when its over, on the drive home, I'll close my eyes and see the green jacket and the sash and the white hat and I'll hear the sound of Madison horns and Madison drums in my head. And i'll know that I saw and heard something great that night.....and they left it all out there...just for me.

Can't wait.

Can't wait.

Edited by wishbonecav

Report from Salem show via Twitter:

"That's the best I've seen Madison Scouts in a long time. Really impressive." (via spacefreak)

" I <3 the Madison Scouts." (via kaytness)

GO SCOUTS!!!!!

Edited by Linda Slocum

When I was a kid back in 1985 in Allentown, seeing the Scouts buses pull into the parking lot with the fleur de lis on the side was a moment of absolute magic

The Men of Madison were like movie stars to me...they arrived with an aura...swagger...excellence...mystery...and my imagination ran wild trying to fill in the rest...

back in the day, scores were not the measuring stick...no one knew who scored what until the numbers were PRINTED....in DRUM CORPS WORLD....a WEEK LATER!

the staff was not high profile...no familiar or dissected names or personalities...they were just the staff...typically recognized by the simple fact that they were standing out front and looked a little older (and a little scruffier).

judges? no one knew names....no one had access...they wore green shirts and left after the show....

the corps director....a name, but not typically a personality....but larger than life, nonetheless....a person of esteem and respect...

And we didnt value the corps by last night's score....we didnt compare success and define failure so much...we simply enjoyed it when this circus came to town!

And if it was an awesome show but didnt score (87, 90, 07), we left happy with the Scouts but disappointed in the judges....those bad guys just didnt get it!

...and we waited for the next time they came to town....but weren't they awesome? The CROWD LOVED THEM!

And our imagination was allowed to do the rest...you got to dream of being in the Scouts and you bought a t-shirt and wore it proud...even if no one else around you knew who the heck the Madison Scouts were....you felt 10 feet tall and bulletproof in that snare shirt or horn shirt...and, when you put it on, you felt a little closer to greatness.

that, my friends, was a simpler time....very little monday morning quarterbacking; very little heaped criticism; a whole lot of wide eyed appreciation...

see, you can hear the corps better with your mouth shut and your ears open....you can hear tradition...you can hear passion...you can hear effort and enthusiasm and excellence...

2009 needs a remedy...and I have one...SHUT OFF YOUR COMPUTER...SHUT OFF the 'need' to know...the 'need' to criticize...the 'need' to quantify....and turn on your imagination....let the anticipation of seeing the Scouts and cheering them on when they hit the starting line be your 'need'.

Let the 11 minutes they are on the field engulf your passion...in a singular moment....not compared to anything else....

and let them wow you...they want to deliver....let them!

I'll see the Scouts in Buffalo on Aug 2. I'll be the one with the hair standing up on the back of my neck, heart racing, hands cupped to my ears...waiting for the gift they bring that night... And when its over, on the drive home, I'll close my eyes and see the green jacket and the sash and the white hat and I'll hear the sound of Madison horns and Madison drums in my head. And i'll know that I saw and heard something great that night.....and they left it all out there...just for me.

Can't wait.

Can't wait.

Dear Sir:

Let me first congratulate you on the best post I have read on DCP in the past year that I have been following the fans here.

Next let me say that the Scouts will not let you down when you get to see them in Buffalo.

On Saturday in Atlanta the Scouts totally electrified the Georgia dome. They engaged and thrilled the audience, made them laugh, cheer, stand and clap more than any other corps until well into the top 10 performances. Everyone was on their feet when the Scouts were marching off the field. This did not happen again until after the 2nd intermission. The Scouts brought it big time. So the judges didn't see it the same way, but the fans loved the Scouts.

You can expect the 2009 Scouts to continue to bring you the same energy, showmanship, and awesome performances right through the end of the season. These guys will play and perform their hearts out for their fans and all those fortunate enough to be at one of their shows.

I have been blessed with the privilege of seeing the Madison Scouts perform 12 shows this year along with numerous full run thrus and many, many hours of rehearsals. These guys have character, class, dedication and pride. I am hoping to see them thrill us three more times in Indy next week. I know the Men of Madison will do their part.

Go Scouts!! BYBO!!

:thumbdown: