Current SCV era

I would not. We are talking championship caliber shows here. 2008 Crown was a championship caliber show, that would have no doubt finished in the top 3 in perhaps every other season. Bluecoats, no disrespect intended, have never put a championship caliber show on the field. Crown is now one of the upper elite - with BD, Cadets, Phantom and Cavies. Any one of these, IMO, could win finals this year. I cannot say the same about Bluecoats.

First off, the original comment was talking about performance quality not championship caliber show, in which case you indeed put Bluecoats in front of SCV.

Second, I laugh at this because Crown's been in the top 5 for how many years now? Oh yeah they just made it in, congrats BTW. Crown's show last year would have possibly beaten Cavies 07, definitely not BD 06, PR 05, SCV 04 IMO. I wouldn't consider their show championship caliber, I think it was a show that if performed to it's upmost potential could get 4th. Just like if SCV's show last year was performed to it's upmost potential could have been maybe 3rd place.

Look it doesn't take a DCI idiot to know that Crown is on the rise, but they're a good 3-4 years to be considered Elite. Their first top 5 finish doesn't equal Elite. Are they one of the best corps out there, yes. Everyone was going crazy over Bluecoats after '06 and claiming championships within the next 5 years. As they have proven, it's hard to be in the Top 5, Harder to be in the Top 4, and nearly impossible to break the Top 3. Not saying it can't be done, but there's a big difference from 4th and 3rd as history has shown.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope Crown wins someday soon. However, I hope SCV wins again before that happens.

Some may say Hell will freeze over before EITHER scenario finds fruition...we'll see.

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the stuff I've seen from SCV this year isn't too impressive. Even with it being June. Them being a contender for a title seems a ways off still.

Edited by DcFr3aK

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but the stuff I've seen from SCV this year isn't too impressive. Even with it being June. Them being a contender for a title seems a ways off still.

It's like that with SCV every year though. Even on their super hot years, they started off pretty shaky. They never get the talent that BD gets, so when they succeed its due to nothing but heart and hard work. That's the reason that I suspect many on this board love SCV.

Exactly what was said about us in 1996. Time, my son. Give the organization some time. :thumbs-up:

It's like that with SCV every year though. Even on their super hot years, they started off pretty shaky. They never get the talent that BD gets, so when they succeed its due to nothing but heart and hard work. That's the reason that I suspect many on this board love SCV.

Good point. We always started light years behind other corps and spent all summer doing push ups on broken glass until we made up the distance.

Tell me, what logic are you using, when placing a corps that hasn't even finished 2nd or 3rd (let alone WON) into the Upper Elite? IMO, we can't place a corps into the Upper Elite until they've won at least once, and challenged for the title a few other times. That takes at least three years.

Crown 2008 was not an Elite show...it was far too easy to be called Elite (any corps that plays in Bb as often as they did, does not deserve to be called Elite.) Was it performed well? Yes. Did I love listening to the hornline, as a fan? Hell yes I did. But when using the criteria of the Elite, the true Elite should be offended by adding Crown to that list (right now).

Crown hasn't done anything Bluecoats haven't done. Crown hasn't even won a single caption during Finals Week! Bluecoats have: Brass 2007 Quarters.

Had you left it as "Crown's recent shows have a championship flair lacking from the Bluecoats" I'd have to agree, especially since Crown is following a path already cleared, and Bloo seems hell-bent on doing everything their own quirky way, placement be danmed [sic, to get through the silly bad-word filters].

But adding Crown to the Elite, when they've done ABSOLUTELY NOTHING is beyond illogical. It's downright dishonest!

Dude, it's not your place to tell me whom I can call elite and whom I can't. Where you get these crazy definitions is beyond me. If I think Crown 2008 was championship caliber, that's for me to think - whether you agree or not. Love the lame brass caption argument - they may have won brass in quarters in '07, but they didn't win brass at finals in '07. Don't like what I have to say - ignore me.

First off, the original comment was talking about performance quality not championship caliber show, in which case you indeed put Bluecoats in front of SCV.

Second, I laugh at this because Crown's been in the top 5 for how many years now? Oh yeah they just made it in, congrats BTW. Crown's show last year would have possibly beaten Cavies 07, definitely not BD 06, PR 05, SCV 04 IMO. I wouldn't consider their show championship caliber, I think it was a show that if performed to it's upmost potential could get 4th. Just like if SCV's show last year was performed to it's upmost potential could have been maybe 3rd place.

Look it doesn't take a DCI idiot to know that Crown is on the rise, but they're a good 3-4 years to be considered Elite. Their first top 5 finish doesn't equal Elite. Are they one of the best corps out there, yes. Everyone was going crazy over Bluecoats after '06 and claiming championships within the next 5 years. As they have proven, it's hard to be in the Top 5, Harder to be in the Top 4, and nearly impossible to break the Top 3. Not saying it can't be done, but there's a big difference from 4th and 3rd as history has shown.

Again, we can agree to disagree. Whether or not '08 was their first appearance in the top 5 hardly matters, it's the statement that appearance made. A 4th place finish with the highest score ever received by a 4th place corps. That in ONLY due to weaker seasons in terms of competition levels. That's a fact.

Re: Crown - I said the same thing in 1991 after Star broke in the top 5 by placing 3rd in 1990. Will Crown win this year? I wouldn't put my money on it, but none of us know. They have the right pieces in place and things are absolutely moving in the right direction.

Personally, I'm here because I'd like to see SCV rise again to championship caliber status. I'm definitely a Crown fan, but I dare say I like SCV, Madison and Phantom even more.