Current SCV era

Ah yes, 1996. It was said once that we won high mezzo forte that year. The show was beautiful and lyrical. But yes, so subtle that it lacked the kind of intensity to follow up Madison's throw down that year.

As for 1997, a much different story. You sir, saw the best of 1997 at Charlotte. That was said to have been the best SCV performance of the 1990's by Myron himself. To have been on that field that night was to have been within a whirlwind of intensity. That was a night I will never forget. I just wish there was a video of it somewhere. My theory is that we may have melted the camera's with our intensity. Such is my fantasy. :rolleyes:

I've been to finals and top 12 regionals almost every year since 1992, and I still list that Charlotte show as the best show I've ever been to. I had watched the Cadets practice all afternoon (that was some opening statement) and I knew what the Blue Devil's could do. The top three at that show all finished 95.0, 95.1 and 95.2. Not a bad spread.

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been to finals and top 12 regionals almost every year since 1992, and I still list that Charlotte show as the best show I've ever been to. I had watched the Cadets practice all afternoon (that was some opening statement) and I knew what the Blue Devil's could do. The top three at that show all finished 95.0, 95.1 and 95.2. Not a bad spread.

We started that year 9.5 points behind BD. Through sheer will power and hard knocks we ended up posing a serious threat to them at the end of the year. That 97 corps had some heart. On the night of Charlotte many of us came to the first time realization that a championship was possible for us. It never came to be, but it was still a magical feeling. I write about every second of it in my book because it was really quite a phenomenal time for that corps. As it happens, my wife marched 97 BD and loves wearing her ring around me. Eh, what's a guy to do?

When I think of the Santa Clara Vanguard , I think fondly of 6-8 cymbalisms interwoven into the show.

That, and a Red Ferrari with a bumper sticker on the back that says '"I support the Arts ".

The good news is that the administrative part of the organization is finally healthy and getting stronger everyday. There are some great people involved in the operations piece (Kathy Serksnis, George Brown, JW Koester) and the BOD is the best it's ever been (including professional "outsiders"). And no, there are no longer any meddlers on the BOD. Jeff Fiedler is the CEO of SCV and is being allowed to be just that. It is turning. And as we all know, it all starts from the top. I am hopeful for the years to come because it has been very painful at times.

Edited by Moe712002

If I had to pick a favorite corps, it would undoubtedly be SCV. They may not always have my favorite show in any given season, but their shows are always interesting from a technical perspective. and often enjoyable/entertaining. The interesting thing following SCV from 1990-on is that this corps seems to have gone through more ups and downs than almost any other Championship corps.

As has been said by others in this thread, I think SCV has suffered through a ton of staff turn-over, although I disagree with others who place the blame SOLELY on the BoD. For whatever reason, staff members haven't worked out and sometimes it's because a staff member is not the right person for the job.

Regardless, if SCV can keep high quality staff in place (especially brass staff) I have no doubts they will be back to competing for a Championship again. Stable high quality staff will help them recruit and keep higher quality members which will help the corps compete at a higher level. I think their design is fine, but design is almost a moot point when the brass caption head changes almost every year.

As always, I'm really looking forward to their show this season, and I (always) hope that they're up there closer to the top than the bottom!

Lets face it, the corps that have been in front of them the last few years (BD, Cadets, Cavies, Crown, & Phantom)

I wouild include Bluecoats over Crown in this statement, sure Crown beat SCV last year and 05 but seriously 05 was just a mess. Bluecoats have beaten SCV 05,06,08.

Key is around for a long time, Pete Weber too. I think SCVs musical book last year was as interesting and exciting as anyone's with the exception of Phantom and possibly Crown. Visual design was excellent too. Moto was one of the best shows this decade IMO, but again execution was just very good, not great. Design has not been the problem for SCV this decade in my opinion.

Moto best shows of this decade, are we talking about for SCV or all DCI? Either way I would strong disagree. Just SCV alone I would place all others above besides maybe 02. 02/06 didn't seem like typical SCV shows IMO. I think 06 was a safe show to make sure the corps didn't fall any further moreso than attempt to move up.

[conspiracy theory]

Key Poulan is a Blue Devils alumnus!

[/conspiracy theory]

:thumbup:

Garry in Vegas

And Wayne Downey is an Vanguard alumnus! Seems like BD is getting the better end of the deal there.

Vanguard needs a new era. New era. New, new, new new era.

:thumbup:

Fanfare for a New Era by Jack Stamp?! I FRICKIN' LOVE THAT PIECE.

regardless of placement, SCV is always one of the most entertaining corps for me. Their drill design is immense.

Edited by comeonfhqwhgads

The good news is that the administrative part of the organization is finally healthy and getting stronger everyday. There are some great people involved in the operations piece (Kathy Serksnis, George Brown, JW Koester) and the BOD is the best it's ever been (including professional "outsiders"). And no, there are no longer any meddlers on the BOD. Jeff Fiedler is the CEO of SCV and is being allowed to be just that. It is turning. And as we all know, it all starts from the top. I am hopeful for the years to come because it has been very painful at times.

I think this is the most concise way to put it. The right people are doing the right jobs with the right authority for the first time in a while. We all know it can take some time but my money's on SCV in a few years.