Key Poulan is a Blue Devils alumnus!

[/conspiracy theory]

:blink:

Garry in Vegas

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, Key needs to change things up a bit. He's very talented; it's obvious in most of his work. But there's usually several points in a SCV's shows since 06 that just make you go "alright, that didn't really make sense, and now I feel less engaged."

Could you point out some specific times during which this occurs (e.g., X:XX to Y:YY)? I'm not trying to be a jerk - I'm just really curious as to how we hear different stretches of music and get different impressions...

The fact is, Vanguard was at their best when they were performing their best, even as they were taking on challenging shows in the process. How disastrous was that 2005 season, when the corps decided to play a simple show that they thought everyone would like?

The '05 show was WAY harder than '04. There were hardly any "breaks" for the hornline at all. Any time they weren't playing, they were moving. The drill might not have been that impressive from the stands, but 190 is still 190, and by the end of the 1st movement the kids were SMOKED, so performance suffered. The '05 hornline was also WAY more talanted than the '04 line as far as the individual players were concerend. Problem is, in '04 they had Gino, and in '05 they had... no one.

2005's failure was a result of terrible management choices. The BoD has been screwing SCV since '99-'00, I really hope Fiedler can finally get them in check.

The '05 show was WAY harder than '04. There were hardly any "breaks" for the hornline at all. Any time they weren't playing, they were moving. The drill might not have been that impressive from the stands, but 190 is still 190, and by the end of the 1st movement the kids were SMOKED, so performance suffered. The '05 hornline was also WAY more talanted than the '04 line as far as the individual players were concerend. Problem is, in '04 they had Gino, and in '05 they had... no one.

2005's failure was a result of terrible management choices. The BoD has been screwing SCV since '99-'00, I really hope Fiedler can finally get them in check.

Well said.

Have faith. Jeff Fiedler knows what he's doing. I promise.

I'm sure I'm going to catch a lot of grief too, but I really do not like their current drill writers work (pete weber), it's all very 'cool' and lots of 'tricks' , but their really is no emotional value to it, which I think myron rosander was GREAT at capturing. It's almost as if their drill is just a bunch of ideas written down, without too much tie to the music. If myron rosander were to write their drill again, i would be a very very happy guy.

I agree BUT I will say that 2006-2008 have been visually driven shows. Constant motion, the "eureka" moment (that show had a bunch "cool" things going on), and 3 sided figures. The music has been very stale and lacking an emotional impact, that may be part of what we see.

Weber does some things really freaking well and I scratch my head at the though of putting it together (long phrases that have many subsets that build into a gigantic finish (08 opener)). I just don't find his drills very musical at all and there is some "questionable" voice staging at times that gets in the way of the music. Still... Pete is a sick human and one of my favorite writters currently. Myron just happens to be one of my all time favorites, 97-2004 (sans 2002) is it in my books.

So I'll agree for now but wish for a musical book that allows for an emotional connection visually.

Edited by CloudHype

I'm on board. I am so excited!

Of that I have NO doubt :)

A personal memory of the SCV resurgence in 97-99:

1996 finals: SCV came on the field right after Madison revival of Malaguena. People are literally throwing babies onto the field and tearing seats out of the Citrus Bowl. The crowd is still chanting 5 minutes later when SCV begins "La Mer". The show is slow, subtle, well played. Did I mention subtle. Potty break time. We figure "La Mer" is french for "boring".

1997 Charlotte Night Beat show:

-Lady behind me: "You know, SCV is really amazing this year. They might even win."

-Me: "I don't really need to pee right now, so I guess I'll stay and watch it. But I've seen "La Mer", and "Fog City Sketches" just sounds like a snoozer."

-And then I was blown away. The brass had the warmest sound of the night. The drill was great. They were simply outdone by two of the best shows ever for the Cadets and Blue Devils. For me, it started with the sound. One of my favorite shows ever. Set up my favorite final three at finals in Orlando.

Some of the stuff lately has been original (2008 opener). But the recent shows have really lacked the intensity and punch of those great years in the late 90s.

1996 finals: The show is slow, subtle, well played. Did I mention subtle. Potty break time. We figure "La Mer" is french for "boring".

1997 Charlotte Night Beat show:

The brass had the warmest sound of the night. The drill was great. They were simply outdone by two of the best shows ever for the Cadets and Blue Devils. For me, it started with the sound. One of my favorite shows ever. Set up my favorite final three at finals in Orlando.

Some of the stuff lately has been original (2008 opener). But the recent shows have really lacked the intensity and punch of those great years in the late 90s.

Ah yes, 1996. It was said once that we won high mezzo forte that year. The show was beautiful and lyrical. But yes, so subtle that it lacked the kind of intensity to follow up Madison's throw down that year.

As for 1997, a much different story. You sir, saw the best of 1997 at Charlotte. That was said to have been the best SCV performance of the 1990's by Myron himself. To have been on that field that night was to have been within a whirlwind of intensity. That was a night I will never forget. I just wish there was a video of it somewhere. My theory is that we may have melted the camera's with our intensity. Such is my fantasy. :rolleyes: