Official 2009 Blue Knights Thread

I'm sure Rob is still head of the vis. staff/colorguard as well as creative design... although I'm not sure who does what on the staff this year... All I know is it's gonna kick a#@... GO BK!!

WP

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I love The Blue Knights! I love their style. I really like the people that run their corps. If any BK fans have time to volunteer. Please do! They were short handed last year.

Rob Billings still has his hand on the color guard (you can tell in the Fan Network video because of the fantastic dance work going on in the guard) - Tim Newburn (formerly of the Glassmen) is on staff with the color guard now as well. Rifles (while sloppy) looked great in the video as well! : )

Edited by Will

Rob Billings still has his hand on the color guard (you can tell in the Fan Network video because of the fantastic dance work going on in the guard) - Tim Newburn (formerly of the Glassmen) is on staff with the color guard now as well. Rifles (while sloppy) looked great in the video as well! : )

Guard is very young this year, but I'm hearing are fantastic talents....

WP

New FN vid posted. Nothing with show clips I dont think. Some rehearsal shots and the drumline doing maybe something from the show.

I love The Blue Knights! I love their style. I really like the people that run their corps. If any BK fans have time to volunteer. Please do! They were short handed last year.

I volunteered for the corps the last three years working bingo, helping out at camps and at shows on the road. In fact I have this entire summer off where I would be able to tour and drive full time, do cooking, whatever. But I was treated pretty bad by a couple of their staff members, and have met a couple of their what I consider jerky fans/alumni on here who feel they can do no wrong when in fact every corps has serious financial,equipment and travel issues and when I have tried to offer them some advice and much needed housing assistance, I get the kids who leave my house in a lot worse shape than when they came here. So because of those reasons, I have chosen not to help the corps out anymore. Now you may say,"Well it could have never been that bad", or "every corps has a few bad apples", or "stop thinking of yourself, it's about the kids". So unless you were in my shoes, nobody can make that assumption from 500-1000 miles away. And it is not just me. I have run into other ex volunteers who have expressed the same issues. I guess it's better to try and make everybody get along and be hush hush and keep the "bad apples" around instead of taking a stand and saying this type of behavior won't be tolerated in the corps especially to the volunteers who have opened up their homes and wallets and time to an activity I know I have considered a big part of my life. I have shared my views w/ one of their staff members who is close friend of mine and she agreed w/ me that this does go on and she was very sad when I told her that she shouldn't plan on seeing me at any rehearsels or camps or at their housing sites on the road. I will attend my 10-14 shows I have planned, but I will find other activities to entertain me during the day while I'm out and about waiting for a show.

Funny how we have all seemd to have known that one person in our job or class or seems to get away w/ everything under the sun and you wonder why they are still around and it brings moral down? That is the best example I can use in my situation. It makes me chuckle though when I see the donor letters continue to come in asking for my hard earned money. Life goes on though, I'm sure they have plenty of others who can fill my shoes easily...

wow I'm sorry you had a bad experience with BK. I haven't ever volunteered for them so I honestly wouldn't know the ins and outs. I have thought about doing it though.

I will be volunteering to help out BK for at least a little bit of next summer. Basically, my approach will be to do what I can to help, and just shut up. lol.

I really hope they get some more videos up soon!

I volunteered for the corps the last three years working bingo, helping out at camps and at shows on the road. In fact I have this entire summer off where I would be able to tour and drive full time, do cooking, whatever. But I was treated pretty bad by a couple of their staff members, and have met a couple of their what I consider jerky fans/alumni on here who feel they can do no wrong when in fact every corps has serious financial,equipment and travel issues and when I have tried to offer them some advice and much needed housing assistance, I get the kids who leave my house in a lot worse shape than when they came here. So because of those reasons, I have chosen not to help the corps out anymore. Now you may say,"Well it could have never been that bad", or "every corps has a few bad apples", or "stop thinking of yourself, it's about the kids". So unless you were in my shoes, nobody can make that assumption from 500-1000 miles away. And it is not just me. I have run into other ex volunteers who have expressed the same issues. I guess it's better to try and make everybody get along and be hush hush and keep the "bad apples" around instead of taking a stand and saying this type of behavior won't be tolerated in the corps especially to the volunteers who have opened up their homes and wallets and time to an activity I know I have considered a big part of my life. I have shared my views w/ one of their staff members who is close friend of mine and she agreed w/ me that this does go on and she was very sad when I told her that she shouldn't plan on seeing me at any rehearsels or camps or at their housing sites on the road. I will attend my 10-14 shows I have planned, but I will find other activities to entertain me during the day while I'm out and about waiting for a show.

Funny how we have all seemd to have known that one person in our job or class or seems to get away w/ everything under the sun and you wonder why they are still around and it brings moral down? That is the best example I can use in my situation. It makes me chuckle though when I see the donor letters continue to come in asking for my hard earned money. Life goes on though, I'm sure they have plenty of others who can fill my shoes easily...

I have to admit that after reading your post I wanted to reply with some kind of response to attack the experience that you had illustrated here. However, I will not do that. I can only say that I am sorry if your efforts were met with the reactions that you describe and that you had to walk away from the organization. As an alumni and a passionate supporter of BK, I would hope that those who support the Blue Knights - members, fans, and alumni alike - see this post for what it is and realize what kind of damage any one person can do to an organization and its volunteers. With that said, I would politely request anyone to use other threads or forums to vent their frustrations. These official threads are meant to be for the members and fans alike for the show this season. I dont question your content, but question why here. Again bstar82 I am sorry for your situation and experiences, but I can assure you that the majority of BK fans and alumni that represent the best that drum corps has to offer.