will "Holy Name Cadets" continue after this season?

The obvious question is, why every few years do the Cadets feel the need to change their name?

In 75 years, they have changed their name less than Randy Johnson has changed baseball teams.

In in all those 75 years, it's been " Cadets " and with nary a major change in their uniforms in those 75 years.

If we look at a group Corps picture of the Cadets in the 1930's and compare with today's Cadets, there is not a heck of a lot of difference in the uniform with the Brass and Percussion in these 75 years. Contrast this with many other Corps that change their uniforms...... and sometimes in a major way...... all the time ( which is fine, and is their choice )

Edited by BRASSO

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They went from HNC to Garfield Cadets in 1958, so I'm not sure how many people on DCP were around and following drum corps back then.

Also, I believe that they are going to be The Cadets after this season. I hope so.

"1958":

Elphie was "Around" in 1958, just becomming aware of great junior drum corps such as "Holy Name", St Vincents Cadets (One of THE "Greatest" junior corps in our history), Blessed Scarament's Golden Knights (Imagine THREE National Chmpions all within a bus transfer of each other), St Kevins Emerald Knights, St Catherine's Queensmen, Chicago's Cavaliers and the Madison Scouts.

The exit of the drum corps from Holy Name Parish is well told in Steve Vickers "History of Drm Corps Vol 2" . There are some pictures of the "Interim Unforms" that the corps wore (Their "Holy Name" suits went to St Marys Cardinals of Beverly MA) before comming back with the "Cadets" unifom in 1960.

Elphaba

Edited by elphaba01

just a gimmick to sell t-shirts

sorry, tinnk it will only be a one year gig

It's clearly not "just a gimmick to sell t-shirts".

Have some friggin respect.

I seem to recall a post some time ago that said when they were the Cadets of Bergen County, they ran into financial trouble and had to file for bankruptcy, so in order to reorganize, by law, they had to change their "official" name. I don't know how true that is, but I DO know that it is why the Piper Aircraft Corp. is now officially the New Piper Aircraft Corp. Personally I prefer the Holy Name Cadets. It gives them a distinct identity.

Considering they were under the YEA umbrella well before they dropped "of Bergen County" I doubt this is true.

just a gimmick to sell t-shirts

sorry, tinnk it will only be a one year gig

Gimmick- no.

It is my guess that this is just one of the many good decisions that they will be making this year which will propel them to their 10th ring.

Considering they were under the YEA umbrella well before they dropped "of Bergen County" I doubt this is true.

I think that you're correct. However, I googled "Garfield Cadets" for bankruptcy public records in the state of New Jersey and got a hit. I didn't pursue it any further because it was one of those .com sites that wanted $40 for a yearly subscription. Hell, it's not THAT important. :rolleyes:

It has been reported that next year they will be scrapping all horns and drums in favor of electronic drum machines and electronic drum kits. Moreover, they will have synthesizers of various shapes, sizes, and vintage scattered across the field!

And the uniform? You are all going to love this! They will all be wearing matching white rabbit costumes! Guard included!

So, what will thier new name be? Here it is: Holy s***!

Ah, you are so very clever, I bow down to you. But seriously, if you could hear their hornline...

Well I'll tell ya ever since I've been around it's been "Garfield" and I don't think that I'll be able to change that although I was starting to referr to the corps as "The Cadets" in the past few years

but not all the time . Holy Name will be performing at "The Glassmen" show on 6/25 and I'll definately

be in line for a "Holy Name" sweatshirt or T-shirt I have a funny feeling that this corps will be hot this

year . :thumbup: