will "Holy Name Cadets" continue after this season?

I seem to recall a post some time ago that said when they were the Cadets of Bergen County, they ran into financial trouble and had to file for bankruptcy, so in order to reorganize, by law, they had to change their "official" name. I don't know how true that is, but I DO know that it is why the Piper Aircraft Corp. is now officially the New Piper Aircraft Corp. Personally I prefer the Holy Name Cadets. It gives them a distinct identity.

This is one of those old wives tales ... the Cadets have never filed for bankruptcy, nor has YEA! In fact, YEA! uses the same tax number the Cadets have used since 1958. Sorry ... we got out of messes by busting ###, saying a prayer or two and creating earned income opportunities. We have a great fan base and a solid alumni team.

As for the names ... we moved for support and offices. Garfield ... Hackensack ( Bergen County) .... Bergenfield .... and then Allentown.

Why Allentown ???? we have 25.000 square feet of office space, a lease until 2034, and we pay 800.00 per month ..... It is allentown but it is fabulous space and there is huge potential!!!

Hope this helps!!!!

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is one of those old wives tales ... the Cadets have never filed for bankruptcy, nor has YEA! In fact, YEA! uses the same tax number the Cadets have used since 1958. Sorry ... we got out of messes by busting ###, saying a prayer or two and creating earned income opportunities. We have a great fan base and a solid alumni team.

As for the names ... we moved for support and offices. Garfield ... Hackensack ( Bergen County) .... Bergenfield .... and then Allentown.

Why Allentown ???? we have 25.000 square feet of office space, a lease until 2034, and we pay 800.00 per month ..... It is allentown but it is fabulous space and there is huge potential!!!

Hope this helps!!!!

Yeah, it explains things somewhat. But is there a Holy Name church in Allentown? And since the lease expires in 2034, is this the last name change we can expect for awhile? Bearing in mind of course that you can call 'em anything you want and they will still remain one fantastic drum corps!!

For the record, I think the corps is honored to be called Holy Name, or Garfield, or Cadets of Bergen County, or The Cadets, or CBC...

We were actually called the Cadets of Garfield in 1971 for some reason. I have always wondered if that was the genesis of the later Cadets of Bergen County.

Yup..we were called "Garfield" in my marching era. There were just too many "Cadets" then to call them that. Seems like most of the top corps in my area were referred to by that sort of designation....

Garfield

Blessed Sac

St Lucy's

Boston

27th...or 2-7

St Rita's

and not so much...

Cadets

Golden Knights

Cadets

Crusaders

Lancers

Brassmen

One exception...Blue Rock was always Blue Rock

...and NOT The Blue Rocks (as some of the newbies would call them...ONCE! :thumbup: )

Same in my era.

PS-

Why did Blue Rock have yellow uniforms?

I seem to recall a post some time ago that said when they were the Cadets of Bergen County, they ran into financial trouble and had to file for bankruptcy, so in order to reorganize, by law, they had to change their "official" name. I don't know how true that is, but I DO know that it is why the Piper Aircraft Corp. is now officially the New Piper Aircraft Corp. Personally I prefer the Holy Name Cadets. It gives them a distinct identity.

That is my understanding. And why Blue Stars are operating under Blue Star Cadets 501©(3). Can someone confirm?

Simple. Abandon your debts and glom onto another 501©(3) and reinvent yourself.

Holy Name Cadets -- was connected to Holy Name Parish. And at some point the parish did not want to be associated/sponsor anymore. There was (for one year) a uniform change to shorts, a la Scout House, having to do with that dissconnect with Holy Name Parish.

Something about them talking too much in church.

Sheesh. This system insists on taking my ( C ) and turning into copyright symbol. But you get the idea.

Edited by Dr Beat

Hey Dr. Beat, speaking of the annoying truth...did you happen to read the response to this thread from, oh I dunno, the CEO of YEA! and director of The Cadets that addressed that theory?

Hope this helps!!!!

Also I believe the Holy Name Cadets left the church and became Garfield Cadets in 1958 because the church couldn't afford to sponsor them anymore (and still do, you know, church stuff) and the one year uniform change was because the church still owned the uniforms.