Saw Synthesizers for the First Time in DCI Tonight

We will see how minor one isolated incident is if it occurs during a key (Once in a lifetime) moment of the 2009 DCI champions championships performance.

Imagine hearing a MAJOR synth/electronic gaff during a brilliant ballad performance.......good stuff...right ?

Especially since major gaffs never happened with brass, guard or percussion. Oh wait...

Electronics have already proved to be capable of performing with the same consistency in BOA and WGI. Why should DCI be different?

Also, if the synth is used to replace a contra line lick, so what?

• Replies 251
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

See - I'm no expert

Exactly!

Exactly!

Cute - cheap and cheesy, but cute...

Wow..... :sad:

From the sheets. Do band judging sheets have brass and woodwinds judged separately? (asking because I have no idea) If not I think it is reasonable that in the future after woodwinds have been decriminalized from DCI, that the brass category on the sheets would be replaced by something more appropriate to the instrumentation.

most band circuits have a catch all music. some may have separate brass and woodwind sheets that are special captions for championships shows that do not get added to the final number

Any examples?

This is a preposterous notion, as the timbre would be too different and the brass judge would have to be all over the corps for that.

Remove brass? GENIUS! Why hasn't anyone ever thought of this before?

True, but it WILL give you one continuous frequency.

Examples? That seems to be obscure opinion. If it has lasted to the end of the season, it's probably SUPPOSED to be that way.

one continuous frequency can not equal the sound of a tympani roll.

so, you'd prefer a kid not learn how to play a wonderful instrument because it's easier to get a continuous frequency?

wow, thats educational.

If the synth is of a certain color, OR of a certain volume, the tuba color won't matter.

Trust me, I've already heard it first hand. I know exactly what I'm talking about. I'm not just some old school, anti-synth brass jock. I happen to be pro-synth, and all of the creativity/diversity it can bring. But I fear it being mis-used in such a way to render the effort of the tuba line to be wasted.

I'm telling you, there are drum corps synth artists out there who hear the low end of the "Pipe Organ" solo of Andrew Lloyd Webber's Phantom of the Opera, and think "Wow, I want that in my show." POTO was 100% synth. Hey, if the DC version sounds as good as the POTO electronics, I'm all about it...but you may as well have the tubas rest for those notes...they could use it. This isn't necessarily bad. God knows I love the Sub-Contra Octave more than I love my wife, but I won't tolerate being lied to. I won't tolerate being peed on and told it's raining, ya know? If we're going to use the synth to get a bass sound that can't be produced by contras, then whenever you want that sound, DON'T USE THE CONTRAS. Or turn it down.

I just hope the judges slam those corps when the synthetic-bass dominates then entire ensemble, or worse...sounds like the speakers can't handle it. If the Music Ensemble person sees 16 contras blowing their butts off, but can't hear them, that corps better get a lower score (This was true pre-synth, but my point is, this logic will kick-in a lot more often now.)

Replacing a sound created by a Tuba, (previously contra) or any other horn by a synthetic instrument is THE example of why this rule should have never been passed. Period. End of story.

See? He can't think of a reason.

I have plenty of reasons, but you won't like any of them. They distill down to this - contras belong in a drum corps, synths do not.

Especially since major gaffs never happened with brass, guard or percussion. Oh wait...

Electronics have already proved to be capable of performing with the same consistency in BOA and WGI. Why should DCI be different?

Seriously? Unless you're just being antagonistic, that may be the most disgusting sentence I've ever read on these boards. If that is truly your opinion you really have no business being involved in this activity. You're welcome to go start your own synth corps international.

As for major gaffs? The answer is no. You would be EXTREMELY hard pressed to find major gaffs with brass, guard or percussion by finals.