Blue Devils Performance from the Pavilion now online

I can't wait to hear it!!

Does anyone know if the SCV performance is going to be offered also?

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On first listen, I'm not sure what I think of it. The opener and I Got Rhythm are awesome - especially the brass balance in Rhythm - it truly sounds like a big band in a studio, with a lot more depth than a typical hornline. (I'm wondering - is the piano doubling the harmonies? That might have something to do with it.) The middle sections are very... open - lots of dead air. I'm guessing there's something visual filling those spaces, otherwise, that's not going to keep the audience moving forward with them.

I like it. I think it's a lot more approachable than last year's charts, and obviously they'll perform it to their usual top-3 standard. So far, I like almost all of the shows I've heard from the top corps.

Mike

Purchase? Why no free stream for FN Members?

On first listen, I'm not sure what I think of it. The opener and I Got Rhythm are awesome - especially the brass balance in Rhythm - it truly sounds like a big band in a studio, with a lot more depth than a typical hornline. (I'm wondering - is the piano doubling the harmonies? That might have something to do with it.) The middle sections are very... open - lots of dead air. I'm guessing there's something visual filling those spaces, otherwise, that's not going to keep the audience moving forward with them.

I like it. I think it's a lot more approachable than last year's charts, and obviously they'll perform it to their usual top-3 standard. So far, I like almost all of the shows I've heard from the top corps.

Mike

I'm with you Mike. A lot of very nice parts, and I really like the idea for all of the exposed sections talking to each other in the Gershwin variations part. But it doesn't seem to all fit together very well...it was recorded on June 6, so it's probably already a lot more cohesive. Looking forward to hearing it when they get it all tied together.

They sure are using a lot of electronics to add depth to the sound. It almost is the featured item. I didn't think that the Blue Devils would use them to this extent. It seems at times they are actually used to "augment" their horn line. Did you ever think anyone would say this about the Blue Devils horn line? That they needed to be "augmented"! It doesn't even really sound like drum corp. I am not saying I don't like it, but the sound is totally different. More like an indoor jazz/swing band than a drum corp.I am really interested in how all of the sound will carry on a field.

As to the music: I do not think this rises to the level of championship Blue Devils of the past. Good, but not edgy and powerful the way they are when they blow people away. I know this is a rough recording, but they have a long way to go if their going to add another championship IMO.

is it anything like the last couple of years?

is it anything like the last couple of years?

Totally different!!!! Stylewise and soundwise. They are also featuring the front ensemble (synth corp) a lot more than in the past. I'm not saying that I don't like it, but this is not your father's Blue Devils!!

I've only listened to it a few times, but so far I really like it...I think it has the potential to become one of my favorite Blue Devils shows this decade.

well, once you get past the new stuff * electronics in general * this show really rocks. I haven't liked these strange BD shows the last few years. I can listen to this and enjoy it right now over and over, so I can not wait to hear them in August. Will it win?? Who knows. Will the performers enjoy the heck out of it, I do believe so, I know I would. I miss being able to scream like that. I still can, but it's not the same by yourself. LOL sorry for grammatical issues even though I am a teacher, I'm just too tired to care.