Will G bugles eventually become extinct?

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always wondered if 3 valve bugles would eventually end up being harder to find than the 2 valve or piston/rotor bugles. The 3 valve era, 1990 to 1999, was shorter than the 2 valve and piston/rotor eras, and there were fewer drum corps purchasing horns.

Today, 9 years after the multikey rule, when looking on Ebay I tend to see more 2 valve horns than 3 valves.

I thought the three valve Gs were the epitomy of excellence in terms of what's been and what is now. A kickin' hornline with some three valve Gs was unique and powerful. Sooooo, a question for the masses. Could awesome shows still be written and performed, currently, utilizing three valve G bugles?

Edited by shortn'sour

I thought the three valve Gs were the epitomy of excellence in terms of what's been and what is now. A kickin' hornline with some three valve Gs was unique and powerful. Sooooo, a question for the masses. Could awesome shows still be written and performed, currently, utilizing three valve G bugles?

To even remotely suggest otherwise would be absurd.

I think they'll probably move to 3 valvers next upgrade (someone had mentioned that on here a while back) . . .but, yeah, as long as the service corps are out there, there will be some units in G.

Maybe the Empire Statesmen (from DCA) will stay in G for a good little while too. :tongue:

I don't remember where I heard the quote, but the logic in buying a new line of 2 valve bugles had to do with the fact that they are still playing almost exclusively Col. Crawford's charts, all of which were written for 2 valve G-F-F# horns. Why buy heavier, more expensive instruments with tubing and moving parts that aren't needed?

Freelancers are using G bugles (3 valve) :tongue::blink::blink:

how much would one cost now?

Kanstul G Bugle Price List; from Kanstul website

Dynasty G Bugle Price List; from The Brass Shop website

I can tell you that the Powerbore sop has gone up $110 since I bought mine in 2005. Most of the Kanstul bugles are less than the Bb counterparts. ($880 Sop vs $1190 Col103 Trumpet) However, I can find the Jupiter Quantum Series Trumpet for $885. Other than resale value, which is a big consideration for most corps, that kind of blows out the "G horns cost more" theory. Even the Dynasty G / Bb prices are about the same as each other.

I think sooner or later, there will be a complete demise of G horns, but as long as corps in the DCA arena (I think only about 1/3 of them now) keep playing them and the military wants them, they will still be made. However, as the demand gets smaller, I could see the price going up for a special run of G horns.

Kanstul G Bugle Price List; from Kanstul website

Dynasty G Bugle Price List; from The Brass Shop website

I can tell you that the Powerbore sop has gone up $110 since I bought mine in 2005.

$850 was the cost in 06 as well. I think it would be a mistake, however, to pin cost increases for completed instruments entirely on the relative scarcity of them. Materials costs have gone up across the board...my profits on steel items dropped a lot in the last year, just because my dealer's price went up, but I could not really pass much of the cost on to my clients without pricing myself out.

I think sooner or later, there will be a complete demise of G horns, but as long as corps in the DCA arena (I think only about 1/3 of them now) keep playing them and the military wants them, they will still be made. However, as the demand gets smaller, I could see the price going up for a special run of G horns.

Anyone have an idea of the the Marines paid? Those are even more of a special order item than a modern Powerbore.

Anyone have an idea of the the Marines paid? Those are even more of a special order item than a modern Powerbore.

No idea on the price, but I'd be very suprized if manufacturers don't still have the molds and dies to produce two-valve clusters, so tooling up wouldn't be that big a deal.

Isn't every Kanstul horn a special order? I seem to remember reading that in one of their adds a year or so ago.

Edited by j.morgus

Who still uses G horns? I know quite a few senior corps do, any juniors?