Holy Name!... HOLY C#@P!

That place that we do not speak of... :tongue::blink:

Can someone speak of the place we don't speak of? :blink: :blink:

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Has their drumline really been playing that much better? I think that is the big question for the Cadets considering Aungst isn't there anymore and they aged out a lot of drumline people last year. Could make or break the season for them in my view (people may think Phantom 08 is the best show ever but the reality is that BD would've won if their drumline was even a little bit better).

I was at Cadets' Johnstown PA camp all last week. Their show this year is going to be an awesome success. Great music; great drill; incredible demand throughout; and ..no vocals, and NO NARRATION! (Hooray) It is quintessential Cadets. Will they win? That depends on how good the other corps are. But... will you enjoy them? Unquestionably. This is a year when most people will love the Cadets.

BTW Colin MC Nutt has written a delightfully attractive and enjoyable percussion book for them. They play well and will clearly be competitive in percussion. And 15 players in the pit; using only modest amplification, are musically superior.

coulda, shoulda, wasn't.

Seriously dude. Seriously.

I'm as big a PR phan as they come (or so I thought until I read your daily updates on the PR thread that you started), but your devotion to this corps is bordering on ridiculous...

I've watched the show several times and there are some great moments, but there are some things that have me a bit addled as well. Perhaps its because 1984 was the first championship I saw and that show is imprinted on my brain.

The snippet/overlay approach to some of the charts just leaves me wishing for more completely developed pieces. I really want to love it, but it hasn't grown on me yet.

Having said that, I'm thrilled there is no narration and I don't have to endure yet another season of hop-bashing on here ad infinitum. It will be interesting to see what original thoughts folks can conjure without that. :tongue:

Seriously dude. Seriously.

I'm as big a PR phan as they come (or so I thought until I read your daily updates on the PR thread that you started), but your devotion to this corps is bordering on ridiculous...

BD would have won if they were better in other captions as well...

The competition had to end at some point.

It appears the Cadets have ended the identity crisis and gone back to who they are...They should compete again for the title...That's good for all of us!

BD would have won if they were better in other captions as well...

The competition had to end at some point.

It appears the Cadets have ended the identity crisis and gone back to who they are...They should compete again for the title...That's good for all of us!

What crisis? Part of the Cadets "identity" is doing things differently and, well, being controversial and sometimes going a bit too far against the grain. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's just a part of what they do and who they are. But make no mistake about it, even when it doesn't work, they're still the Cadets. No identity crisis there.

What crisis? Part of the Cadets "identity" is doing things differently and, well, being controversial and sometimes going a bit too far against the grain. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's just a part of what they do and who they are. But make no mistake about it, even when it doesn't work, they're still the Cadets. No identity crisis there.

Then why do they keep changing their name? LOL (just kidding)

That's a good point - Cadets have always been about "innovation."

- asymmetric drill in the early 80s

- high velocity in the early 90s

- major use of amplified voice, for better (05) or worse (06, 08), in the mid/late 00s

What are some others? What would you guys say are some innovations in the late 80s? Late 90s?

But I also agree with Phantombari - in the 80s they were all about Bernstein and Copland. I, for one, am stoked about them going back to Bernstein (who happens to be my favorite American composer). They demonstrated in the 80s that they could be innovative and still play stuff from a pretty traditional drum corps composer.