What defines a Drum and Bugle Corps?

A group that makes sounds using only horns and precussion instruments.

As for the 70s sucked comments...... Don't knock it until you have tried making music on the limited equipment. Took more effort to play with control on those beasts (uphill both ways in the snow, etc, etc). And just because it was different doesn't mean it was wrong or sucked....

Yeah I'd like to see some of these kids try playing on a one valved rotary piston horns. I am in awe when I listen to some of the sounds that came out of some of the corps of the 70's. Not all mastered it, but Blue Devils, 27th Lancers, Bridgemen and some other greats sure did!

They paved the way for those kids who totally disrespect!

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Where is there disrespect by anybody on here about 70s and 80s drum corps? We have thread after thread after thread of complaints about how awful DCI is today. I have yet to see any the posting of venomous threads about DCI of the 70s/80s that is even close to the same magnitude of what I see about the 00s.

1) Where did this myth come from?

2) Respect is a two-way road.

They started the disrespect when they don't give a hoot about the history and dog the horn lines every time they get a chance. It's all over the place Lance. At least mentioned in every thread where an alumni may disagree with changes. Then the gloves come off and they start spewing their disrespect.

There aren't threads about how awful DCI is today just how disgruntled people are with the direction it is going today.

Big difference.

Time and time again alumni give them their props on the difficulty executed in todays drum corps.

All we as alumni ever here is crap about how out of tune and awful the horn lines of the 70's and 80's are.

It's not a two way street. It's a one sided street with disrespect and out right lies about the drum corps of the 70's and 80's.

Find me examples of entire threads trashing DCI in the 70s and 80s with a dozen of so of the same people doing it over and over and over and over again, and maybe I'll buy some of that.

Kids marching today and fans of DCI today could talk about instrumentation and programming of the past in the same terms, believe me, but most choose not to, and when they do, it's in response to really hideous posts that show 100% disrespect for what they're doing.

Respect is indeed a two-way street.

If somebody ever made a thread in the alumni forum saying how awful the shows were, but added a meaningless little bromide like "but I respect how hard you worked," people in that forum would collectively light their hair on fire and cry bloody murder.

I find what you're saying in this case to be very hypocritical. That's all.

A group that makes sounds using only horns and precussion instruments.

As for the 70s sucked comments...... Don't knock it until you have tried making music on the limited equipment. Took more effort to play with control on those beasts (uphill both ways in the snow, etc, etc). And just because it was different doesn't mean it was wrong or sucked....

Personally, I'm always impressed the quality of the pre 90's drum corps. I've played on two valve and piston rotor bugels and to be brutaly honest felt they where the worst instruments I have ever played. Yet so many dc musicians made these inferior instruments sound so good! Really shows you the work ethic and commitment that was put into the activity. and for that I applaud you!

This is Drum Corps Planet? Drum Corps is an abbreviation for Drum and Bugle Corps? DCI is an abbreviation for Drum and Bugle Corps International. Why is it even in question? I hate to have to put it this way, but why don't the bandos just leave Drum Corps alone and go do their thing with marching bands where they won't be subjected to the criticism?

This is Drum Corps Planet? Drum Corps is an abbreviation for Drum and Bugle Corps? DCI is an abbreviation for Drum and Bugle Corps International. Why is it even in question? I hate to have to put it this way, but why don't the bandos just leave Drum Corps alone and go do their thing with marching bands where they won't be subjected to the criticism?

:laughing:

again I like band but its NOT the same as drum corps (which has already been proven in this thread)

Edited by hrnguy500

I, personally, have no problem with criticism. We should all be able to say what we want to say as long as it doesn't violate guidelines.

I do have a problem with hypocrisy, and when I see it, I usually say something about it. When people respectfully point out that I'm doing the same thing, I might not like it, but I usually have little choice but to accept it. It's happened more times than I care to admit. lol.

Believe me. I believe that most of the people out marching and those of us who actually like what we see AND appreciate the work that goes into it can take whatever you all have to say. Woodwinds is my own point of return, though if the craziness with synths keeps up, it might be sooner.

Find me examples of entire threads trashing DCI in the 70s and 80s with a dozen of so of the same people doing it over and over and over and over again, and maybe I'll buy some of that.

Kids marching today and fans of DCI today could talk about instrumentation and programming of the past in the same terms, believe me, but most choose not to, and when they do, it's in response to really hideous posts that show 100% disrespect for what they're doing.

Respect is indeed a two-way street.

If somebody ever made a thread in the alumni forum saying how awful the shows were, but added a meaningless little bromide like "but I respect how hard you worked," people in that forum would collectively light their hair on fire and cry bloody murder.

I find what you're saying in this case to be very hypocritical. That's all.

I am not being hypocritical just pointing out the facts. Your argument is not valid to me. There are times when it's not in any response to anything alumni are saying but just outright disrespect. I have seen many alumni who may be against some of the changes, still give the kids their respect even though they don't AGREE with the DIRECTORS. That is where the anger is directed at the DIRECTORS who pass the rules, not the KIDS. That's what you and many are FAILING to read on these posts.

So yeah it's supposed to be a two way street, but it's NOT.

I see it in every thread where there is a topic about synthesizers or any change within the last few years, we get called "RAWR dinosauers" and "people unable to adapt to change." Then the arguments ALWAYS,ALWAYS come up about Bb Vs. G Bugles and people come on spitting up about how out of tune G bugles were in the 70's or 80's. There are comments about it in this thread. While you are spewing how hypocritical what I am pointing out is, just go back and read the posts, that's all.

Please don't make me go back in these threads and quote them, there are too many to count. Just go back a few pages in the synthesizer thread, you will see some there when the topic got OFF topic.

What is with this "US" Vs. "THEM" mentality on this PLANET? Why can't you and others see that our anger is not at the KIDS but at the people who are changing the activity. BIG DIFFERENCE!

Edited by Lancerlady

I believe that Spirit has taken a step for additional non-traditional instrumentation with it's use of a bass guitar and electrified string bass. Stings have no place or no business in corps man, that mede me very uncomfortable. Not to mention the un-natural bending of sounds and music by a synth just did not sound right. Call me a "dinosaur" but it did not feel right. I was ok with amp'd pits, but this is going to far. When does DCI allow other instruments?