What defines a Drum and Bugle Corps?

A marching ensemble consisting of 150 members and made up of brass, percussion, and guard.

That really ruins a lot of div II/III impressions of themselves, I'm sure. What are they? :sad:

Also, could you be more specific about what percussion is for drum corps, exactly?

And a little more specific about guard, please? Are they allowed to dance, for example? Can they just dance? Must they use weapons and flags?

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That really ruins a lot of div II/III impressions of themselves, I'm sure. What are they? :sad:

Also, could you be more specific about what percussion is for drum corps, exactly?

And a little more specific about guard, please? Are they allowed to dance, for example? Can they just dance? Must they use weapons and flags?

Drum and Bugle Corps --- BUGLES --- as in "G" bugles... oh that is another argument (ducks and runs)

Drums, Bugles, and Guard (with stuff in their hands...)

At least that was drum corps when I did it almost 10 years ago. --- and todays DCA corps

A marching band that competes in the summer time.

Really people...it's band c'mon! Get over ourselves :)

Drum and Bugle Corps --- BUGLES --- as in "G" bugles... oh that is another argument (ducks and runs)

Drums, Bugles, and Guard (with stuff in their hands...)

At least that was drum corps when I did it almost 10 years ago. --- and todays DCA corps

From what I see at least half of today's DCA corps are on concert pitch instrumentation and approach guard like WGI.....so much for that one.

In my mind the simple definition of Drum and Bugle Corps is a group of brass, percussion, and 'guard' whose primary purpose is to compete against other Drum Corps. A Marching Band is and ensemble of brass, woodwinds, percussion, and guard whose primary purpose is to represent an institution, school, or area. Is there a good deal of overlap in the definition? Sure. Today's top 'corps style' bands are very similar to today's top drum and bugle corps and vice versa. But even the top bands still do football games, pep rallys, ect. and compete on the weekends. Today's drum corps still do the occasional standstill, parade, but primarily exist to tour and compete.

On each side there are more purist forms. For example the Big-10 and Showband style marching bands, and The Commandant's Own and Alumni units on the drum corps side. But the vast majority in the middle have a good deal of common ground. In the old days the world may have been black or white, where you did one or the other. But those days are long over with the overwhelming majority of participants doing both, and enjoying both. It is a grey world and most of us still feel fine.

So I guess the question really hinges on when and if woodwinds are legalized. That will be a HUGE step if it happens. Then we really will have to search hard for a definition. On one hand that will open up a new group of membership and audience, but on the other hand, it will be too much for many drum corps fans. Until then we can enjoy each and worry about definitions later.

Edited by mchromik

Until then we can enjoy each and worry about definitions later.

I disagree. If you don't known who you are and what you are doing, you have nothing.

in my OPINION, it should be: Unamplified brass, percussion and color guard. No more, no less.

I disagree. If you don't known who you are and what you are doing, you have nothing.

Really? Does it have to be so complicated? Let's see; Powerful Brass, check, smoking percussion, check, stunning guard, check. Hmmm. The basics are there I can enjoy it. I guess it comes down to what about the activity really hooked you in the first place. When I go down around the buses with todays kids, it is as familiar as could be (save for the iPhones ect). Same smells, same grab-@##, same activity. Just because there some new amps to load on the truck do we really need to rename the activity?

A good deal of the recent changes in the activity are more like sprinkles on my ice cream. I was fine without it, but as long as it is still ice cream, I'm good. It is not like someone dropped brussel's sprouts in place of our ice cream here.

A marching ensemble consisting of 150 members and made up of brass, percussion, and guard.

[/thread]

Beat me to it.

End of discussion...the 70's sucked and they're dead. Welcome to the 21st Century. :blink: