What defines a Drum and Bugle Corps?

That's true, though it in no way does anything to lessen my opinion that majority disrespect on here goes decidedly one way.

I only wish DCP could've been around 30 years ago. It would have been very interesting to see how some of the current "I hate everything about the people you choose to work with for months on end, but I sure do appreciate your hard work young man" crowd who marched in the 70s and 80s would have handled the inevitably similar comments that would've come from people who were part of drum and bugle corps in the 40s and 50s.

To get back to the question of the topic, how would people who marched in the 50s define drum corps, and what in the 70s and 80s would they most likely say is not "real" drum corps? Ponder that, and then think about the idea that maybe the idea of what is not "real" drum corps just may have changed over time. If you don't believe it, take it back even further.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's true, though it in no way does anything to lessen my opinion that majority disrespect on here goes decidedly one way.

I only wish DCP could've been around 30 years ago. It would have been very interesting to see how some of the current "I hate everything about the people you choose to work with for months on end, but I sure do appreciate your hard work young man" crowd who marched in the 70s and 80s would have handled the inevitably similar comments that would've come from people who were part of drum and bugle corps in the 40s and 50s.

To get back to the question of the topic, how would people who marched in the 50s define drum corps, and what in the 70s and 80s would they most likely say is not "real" drum corps? Ponder that, and then think about the idea that maybe the idea of what is not "real" drum corps just may have changed over time. If you don't believe it, take it back even further.

I marched in a '50s Drum and Bugle Corps. and have seen many changes over the years.. My son marches with a DCI corps now and I am a great fan. When they added the pit, I felt that it added to the show because we are still dealing with percussion instruments. In many respects, the drum corps today are far superior to the ones in the past. I remember G bugles and one valve. It wasn't easy. The more modern instruments do not take away the talent and dedication of the kids on the field.

One thing I don't want to see is to change a Drum and Bugle Corps into a marching band or orchestra. With the electronic instruments now, I'm afraid that it's going to happen. What a shame. Let's keep it pure percussion and brass. That's a drom and bugle corps.

They started the disrespect when they don't give a hoot about the history and dog the horn lines every time they get a chance. It's all over the place Lance. At least mentioned in every thread where an alumni may disagree with changes. Then the gloves come off and they start spewing their disrespect.

There aren't threads about how awful DCI is today just how disgruntled people are with the direction it is going today.

Big difference.

Time and time again alumni give them their props on the difficulty executed in todays drum corps.

All we as alumni ever here is crap about how out of tune and awful the horn lines of the 70's and 80's are.

It's not a two way street. It's a one sided street with disrespect and out right lies about the drum corps of the 70's and 80's.

Can you link us to these threads? I rarely ever hear this disrespect you're talking about. Drum corps is evolving and as well it should. An example would be the change from G to Bb. The switch from G to Bb wasn't just some random change to #### people off... it improved intonation and sound quality. The respect is there... you and your peers definitely paved the way for us youngins' and most of us recognize that.

And again, the disrespect IS a two way street. To be completely honest, the traffic on your side is BACKED UP.

So my topic got deleted... which I was related to this but not exactly but whatever...

Anyway, what happened to the days when if someone called a drum corps a "marching band" we all got up in arms and unleashed a fury of knowledge upon them so that for the rest of forever they would always know the difference between a band and a corps? Do we not do that anymore? Do we actually condone letting them call corps band?

You know, I was going to say, "We grew up." But then I noticed that the years you marched were over a decade after I did, so maybe "we" (my generation) didn't do too much growing up after all, if the next generation still says/believes/acts the same way. No offense...not attacking you...that's more on my gen and folks older than us.

It just occurred to some of us one day that...

1.) Taking offense to WHAT you call it is pretty childish;

2.) Chowing down on some noob's arse cuz they call it a "band" instead of a "corps" tends to drive off more people than what it brings in;

3.) The activity has run off too many fans, volunteers, members, corps, etc due to various issues, and maybe--just maybe...and maybe I'm wrong, too--but just maybe...

...we realized that it was time to reach out to people who didn't use the same terminology that we "music educated" types do. Ya know?

In short, we...

...GOT OVER OURSELVES!!

And this is totally a criticism of my peers and our seniors, not the younger crowd...we are OBVIOUSLY still failing miserably at that little tiny detail.

Be able to laugh at yourselves, people...because most of the time we have more of a tendency to pay ourselves too much nevermind and think that we're more than we are. Be able to have a CONVERSATION with a person about drum corps, or as they're likely to put it, MARCHING BAND!! And if the first thing out of your mouth is something like, "It's not a..." then please, please, please re-read the "laugh at yourself" part...and GET OVER IT!!!

It IS a band. Look up the definition if you're that dense.

The correct adjective to place in front of the 'band' part would NOT be concert or jazz...it WOULD be 'marching.' So technically speaking, we're pretty small-minded when we take up the 1950's crowd's attitude and perpetuate it another generation.

Now, being one of the "initiated" types, I KNOW IT'S NOT "JUST" A MARCHING BAND!! But if the only way you can state it is, "It's not a marching band," you're pretty much in need of reading some good books, elevating your general level of intelligence and expanding your overall vocabulary. And I'm happy to suggest a few dozen to start with.

How about, "Try marching band on STEROIDS!!" And then tell them the awesome things that distinguish DCI from ANYTHING else! The rehearsals, the performances, the gym floors, etc, etc. Hype it...don't diss on the MB's, cuz most of us have been in or are in one of those at present anyways!

In short, make the activity look GOOD...don't detract from either one, thus making them BOTH look bad.

NOBODY WINS WHEN EVERYBODY LOSES!!

You know, I was going to say, "We grew up." But then I noticed that the years you marched were over a decade after I did, so maybe "we" (my generation) didn't do too much growing up after all, if the next generation still says/believes/acts the same way. No offense...not attacking you...that's more on my gen and folks older than us.

It just occurred to some of us one day that...

1.) Taking offense to WHAT you call it is pretty childish;

2.) Chowing down on some noob's arse cuz they call it a "band" instead of a "corps" tends to drive off more people than what it brings in;

3.) The activity has run off too many fans, volunteers, members, corps, etc due to various issues, and maybe--just maybe...and maybe I'm wrong, too--but just maybe...

...we realized that it was time to reach out to people who didn't use the same terminology that we "music educated" types do. Ya know?

In short, we...

...GOT OVER OURSELVES!!

And this is totally a criticism of my peers and our seniors, not the younger crowd...we are OBVIOUSLY still failing miserably at that little tiny detail.

Be able to laugh at yourselves, people...because most of the time we have more of a tendency to pay ourselves too much nevermind and think that we're more than we are. Be able to have a CONVERSATION with a person about drum corps, or as they're likely to put it, MARCHING BAND!! And if the first thing out of your mouth is something like, "It's not a..." then please, please, please re-read the "laugh at yourself" part...and GET OVER IT!!!

It IS a band. Look up the definition if you're that dense.

The correct adjective to place in front of the 'band' part would NOT be concert or jazz...it WOULD be 'marching.' So technically speaking, we're pretty small-minded when we take up the 1950's crowd's attitude and perpetuate it another generation.

Now, being one of the "initiated" types, I KNOW IT'S NOT "JUST" A MARCHING BAND!! But if the only way you can state it is, "It's not a marching band," you're pretty much in need of reading some good books, elevating your general level of intelligence and expanding your overall vocabulary. And I'm happy to suggest a few dozen to start with.

How about, "Try marching band on STEROIDS!!" And then tell them the awesome things that distinguish DCI from ANYTHING else! The rehearsals, the performances, the gym floors, etc, etc. Hype it...don't diss on the MB's, cuz most of us have been in or are in one of those at present anyways!

In short, make the activity look GOOD...don't detract from either one, thus making them BOTH look bad.

NOBODY WINS WHEN EVERYBODY LOSES!!

wow, way to not state it so poinently. I'm a young person and love both forms of the marching arts. (MB and DC). They are distinct and need to stay that way. I don't usually go off on someone when they call it a "band" but I give them a friendly reminder or roll my eyes at their novice. Usually the people that are turned off by the DC are the people that wouldn't really get it no matter how you spun it at them. People take it or leave it and if you can't take the heat then well...

I think you should be somwhat irked if you or a group you belong to are referred to as the wrong thing. Don't you get mad if someone calls you by the wrong name if they probably know it already? Don't people get offended when they are associated with a different ethnicity that what they really are?

IMO people have every right to be offended when they are mislabled. It is not childish. what is childish are those that perpetuate labels that are incorrect on a regular basis....a la Dennis Dodd.

"The activity called drum corps is not defined by the instruments played or by a board of directors. Drum corps is what each person participating wants it to be in their own minds. There is diversity of opinion within every corps; in some instances, the diversity is good and in other instances not so good. Drum corps is not an activity for fans or to perpetuate jobs for management. Drum corps is for participants who desire challenge, hard work, victory, defeat, and memories."

-Bill Cook, Founder of Star of Indiana

"The activity called drum corps is not defined by the instruments played or by a board of directors. Drum corps is what each person participating wants it to be in their own minds. There is diversity of opinion within every corps; in some instances, the diversity is good and in other instances not so good. Drum corps is not an activity for fans or to perpetuate jobs for management. Drum corps is for participants who desire challenge, hard work, victory, defeat, and memories."

Yes, and Star is...where again? I now COMPLETELY understand why they couldn't find themselves.

I don't hold Bill Cook on the same pedestal that some other people do. He was a wealthy flash in the pan that produced an offspring - nothing more. Apparrently he was also good at double-talk. I mean who "desires" defeat? People with names like Warren, Royer, Jones etc. live in memories. Compared to people like that Cook doesn't even rate honorable mention.

I don't hold Bill Cook on the same pedestal that some other people do. He was a wealthy flash in the pan that produced an offspring - nothing more. Apparrently he was also good at double-talk. I mean who "desires" defeat? People with names like Warren, Royer, Jones etc. live in memories. Compared to people like that Cook doesn't even rate honorable mention.

Bill Cook was able to produce the most financially successful and solvent drum corps in the history of the activity. Not because he just had a lot of money, but because he used good business sense to create ways to fund it that were beyond the standard "selling stuff and hoping people buy enough" or bingo models. Drum corps, especially DCI in these days and times, needs more people like that around. Business sense is something we're short of, and it's one of the big reasons we're down to as few corps as we are. His corps didn't fold in a moment of despair after a season of no food and constant vehicle breakdowns, they moved on to something different after they perceived that there was something more they might want to spend all that money on.