What defines a Drum and Bugle Corps?

ideally drum corp is brass percussion and guard, reguardless of what changes, it will always be auditioned, with the best young performers in the nation, busting their butts for absoulute pefection, led by the most talented design teams available, unlike marching band, the members will continue give up their summers, eat breath and sleep the show, and entertain in venues all over the country.

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am not being hypocritical just pointing out the facts.
You're not pointing out anything except your opinion. Disrespect is almost entirely one way on here. Yes, every once in awhile you get somebody marching today or a fan today who gets sick of it, and retorts badly to a particularly disrespectful thread or post.

Again, point out entire threads devoted to saying how horrible DCI shows were in the 70s/80s. Bromides like "but I appreciate your hard work" or "it's not you, it's the people you specifically chose to audition for and work with for 80 hours per week for 3 months" ring very empty no matter how much they might make you feel better about the vitriol you throw out. If anybody ever went into the Historical forum and did that, there would be a collective fit of apoplexy. Again, it's not because some people couldn't find plenty to devote thread after thread to completely disrespecting everything about your era's designs in general, I assure you.

Respect is a two way street, and while most people on here generally are very respectful, the overwhelming majority of disrespect comes down one side of the street only.

It's fine that you have a different opinion about this. That's what the forum is for. And what I'm saying takes nothing away from my empathy for you for not liking the direction where something obviously so important to you is going. To a large degree, I'm right there with you.

I think a better way to look at this question might be what would a drum and bugle corps member from the late 19th century say wasn't "real" drum corps if he saw DCI ensembles in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s. The list would be huge after looking at the 70s alone.

I think a better way to look at this question might be what would a drum and bugle corps member from the late 19th century say wasn't "real" drum corps if he saw DCI ensembles in the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 00s. The list would be huge after looking at the 70s alone.

LMAO.... you might as well have them look at the 1930s when the first valve was added. Big fight from the AL about USING the valve during a show but that's another story.

And after all the broo-ha-ha about "the 70s sucked" I see the person who posted it added --> :tongue: at the end. Ooops.......... on my part. :worthy:

To PennState - thank you...

To LancerLady(?) (whoever said about single valves) - Have some recordings and some 1 valvers at home. Totally agree and there is one horn in my collection that I'm still trying to sound halfway decent on. Just unbeleivible difficut to keep the air flow consistant. :tongue:

You're not pointing out anything except your opinion. Disrespect is almost entirely one way on here. Yes, every once in awhile you get somebody marching today or a fan today who gets sick of it, and retorts badly to a particularly disrespectful thread or post.

Again, point out entire threads devoted to saying how horrible DCI shows were in the 70s/80s. Bromides like "but I appreciate your hard work" or "it's not you, it's the people you specifically chose to audition for and work with for 80 hours per week for 3 months" ring very empty no matter how much they might make you feel better about the vitriol you throw out. If anybody ever went into the Historical forum and did that, there would be a collective fit of apoplexy. Again, it's not because some people couldn't find plenty to devote thread after thread to completely disrespecting everything about your era's designs in general, I assure you.

Respect is a two way street, and while most people on here generally are very respectful, the overwhelming majority of disrespect comes down one side of the street only.

It's fine that you have a different opinion about this. That's what the forum is for. And what I'm saying takes nothing away from my empathy for you for not liking the direction where something obviously so important to you is going. To a large degree, I'm right there with you.

Again Lance, it's almost in every thread. It's not my opinion, it's other people's opinions. I guess I'll just have to do a search and show you. I said POSTS in the threads that are having these debates/discussions, whatever you want to call them.

I do have tremendous respect for todays kids and what they do in today's drum corps. I just don't get how y'all can't get that we can do that? And still disagree with the direction! It's not vitriol, it's the truth. People can disagree with the direction of the activity yet have much respect for what they are doing. Why is that so hard to believe?

I even sent some money via sponsor last year and I didn't even go to any shows. So...it might not have been a whole lot but for somebody who is unemployed right now. I can't afford to do that right now.

I do agree with the many things that drum corps teaches kids and will ALWAYS respect that aspect of it.

I just don't like the direction most of the directors are taking it. AND it's not fair for either side to rain on the parade of all the hard work that each generation has poured into this activity. That's another POINT I'm trying to make.

Edited by Lancerlady

To LancerLady(?) (whoever said about single valves) - Have some recordings and some 1 valvers at home. Totally agree and there is one horn in my collection that I'm still trying to sound halfway decent on. Just unbeleivible difficut to keep the air flow consistant. :tongue:

I got my hubby a one valve piston rotary Contra a few years ago, and he doesn't have a problem with it. I do have some time with my asthma on my g Bugle mello. I don't know how I smoked and marched all those years ago...lol

The more things change the more things stay the same.

For every person who will not attend a show or support a corps because thats not how we did it back then...

There are five who will. (Dont even ask how I came with that number, just proving a point)

First it was having a valve then it was having two valves then all h.e.l.l. broke loose when that evil third valve came into play.

Then h.e.l.l. froze over when corps went to B'flat. Then amps and electronics came in.....guess what....

People are still going to shows, people are still buying their merch, people are still supporting the activity for THEM...

the members...not you.

Nobody said you had to like it, luckily people have options like DCA, the mini corps curcuit and alumni corps to enjoy.

Also we have DCP to spew the anger for others to view and agree or disagree.

Here is my view that defines a drum corps....

Marching bands perform during the half-time show during a football game...

Drum corps are the show where ever they go.

Also no matter how great a marching band is their vibe will never match that of a drum corps like SCV, Cavaliers, Cadets, Phantom, as they wait by the gate to enter the field for competition. They just have it. You can't teach it. It's the drum corps experience.

I don't get the argument "drum corps is changing, if you don't like it go somewhere else."

Seriously?!?! If my favorite corps is a DCI sanctioned corps and they go off the deep end I'm must supposed to leave without putting my 2c in? I'm just supposed to go half way across country to get my fill on DCA corps? If that is the case then I hope some of the DCI corps split off and join DCA.

I don't think so. DCI is the most accessible form of marching arts we have. Its like the NFL. Yeah I can go see some minor league team play football but I really want to see the big boys play. *No offense to DCA corps you guys are good*

I got my hubby a one valve piston rotary Contra a few years ago, and he doesn't have a problem with it. I do have some time with my asthma on my g Bugle mello. I don't know how I smoked and marched all those years ago...lol

Ooops, need to amend my post. I'm having problems with a single valve that doesn't have a rotor, slide or anything else. Of course EVERYBODY (RAMD inside joke) knows that piston/rotors were the perfect corps horn. :tongue:

Feel for ya on the asthma, at age 48 I started getting allergy shots. Nothing like a nice humid day with a ton of pollen to make one make funny noises in a parade (without the horn).

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

Find me examples of entire threads trashing DCI in the 70s and 80s with a dozen of so of the same people doing it over and over and over and over again, and maybe I'll buy some of that.

Um, it was 30 years ago. Obviously, there will not be the same quantity of discourse on that vs. more recent drum corps.