When will Crown pass the Cadets?

:smile: I just don't get all the hype on Crown this year. Last years show was cohesive and exciting, contained well-known audience thrilling pieces and straightforward in your face design.

This year: Rolling on the ground, dancy/floppy mime/whatever it is, and drill design that heakens back to in.trance.it. The guard is top notch, no doubt, and the hornline good, but they will not get the GE points to ultimately pass the cadets.

The Cadets show is far from perfect, has a lot of moments that leave you wanting more, but we all know that they will change the design umpteen times between now and finals. They always do, and it keeps their scores depressed during rewrites, but then they end the year strong.

Perhaps Crown will beat the Cadets at a few competitions but I really don't believe they'll finish higher than 6th with this show.

I like Crown's show a heck of a lot more this year than last year. I thought it was very well done last year, but this year blows my mind and that hornline is incredible. I won't be surprised at all if they are top 3 this year.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah the exception was Coats came out sounding like a sack again, and Crown obviously has a corps that is scoring better than its previous seasons. So, that prediction is baseless.

Exactly, and let's look facts in the face - Bluecoats have never, as an organization on a competitive level, achieved what Crown achieved last year. Period. They are not one in the same. Crown proved opening weekend 2009 that they are even better than last year out of the gate. Why does everyone think they are somehow going to let up. They absolutely have the show this year to challenge for the #1 spot. Period. My prediction for them (and HNC): 3rd at lowest.

Exactly, and let's look facts in the face - Bluecoats have never, as an organization on a competitive level, achieved what Crown achieved last year. Period. They are not one in the same. Crown proved opening weekend 2009 that they are even better than last year out of the gate. Why does everyone think they are somehow going to let up. They absolutely have the show this year to challenge for the #1 spot. Period. My prediction for them (and HNC): 3rd at lowest.

Gellio! I couldn't agree more with every single post you just made!!

They are two exceptional corps, and to be bickering about who will beat who and at what point is mute. They are both fighters, and may the best fighter win!

Gellio! I couldn't agree more with every single post you just made!!

They are two exceptional corps, and to be bickering about who will beat who and at what point is mute. They are both fighters, and may the best fighter win!

I agree. Honestly, I am having a hard time with Holy Name's arrangement of WSS. For me, it's a matter of 1984 being my first year of drum corps and that show was HOLY CRAP AWESOME. I need to get over the comparisons, but I freaking love the visual package. It's the Cadets I have known and loved all these years - straight forward - awesome marching, playing, drill and guard. I think Crown is for real and is a championship contender this year - this show is better than last years great show. There's no way any of us can speculate because IMO Crown at their best will be as good as the Cadets at their best this year. It should be a fun ride. After seeing the BD video - I think they will both beat BD at finals.

Having seen both, Crown is better but won't be passing.

Although, that's my biased opinion (I don't like Bernstein :P)

How can you not live Bernstein? All I know, is I believe the battle between HNC and Crown is going to be one of the ages. It'll be really exciting to see how everyone else measures up to these two.

I'll be fine with it if these two are battling for 1st place at the end of the year. I just don't want to see them battling for 4th or 5th

Me either. Would love to see Crown, HNC and SCV battling for the title. I cannot wait to see/hear anything from Regiment. I wish some ADP's were up from the midwest.

Exactly, and let's look facts in the face - Bluecoats have never, as an organization on a competitive level, achieved what Crown achieved last year. Period. They are not one in the same.

A long time ago, a very wise man (who is currently a prominent member of Crown's staff, ironically enough) once told me, "You are your placement." You can score a 99.9 and still finish in 2nd place, and that's all anyone will remember. Crown has never finished higher than 4th. Bluecoats have never finished higher than 4th. Bluecoats have, to the best of my knowledge, beaten every current DCI corps at least once in their history. Crown, to the best of my knowledge, has yet to accomplish that. Just throwing some more facts out there...

Crown proved opening weekend 2009 that they are even better than last year out of the gate.

Well then, by all means, lets end the season now and give them a medal! You and I both know starting better than ever out of the gate guarantees nothing.

Why does everyone think they are somehow going to let up. They absolutely have the show this year to challenge for the #1 spot. Period. My prediction for them (and HNC): 3rd at lowest.

It's simple history being against them, that's all. No big deal. They can still finish in the top 3, it's just that in order for that to happen, someone will have to be left out. And historically speaking, recently anyway, it's a more difficult task for a corps who has never finished in the top 3 before to knock one of those mainstays out. Considering the track record of the corps usually at the top, would it surprise anyone here if Crown was absolutely magnificent this year, perhaps better than they've ever been, and still finished in 4th or 5th behind BD, Cavaliers, Cadets and/or Phantom? It wouldn't surprise me at all.