When will Crown pass the Cadets?

ok, i'm not going to try and ruffle any feathers here... but i know its cadets 75th anniversary and they are doing some pretty demanding stuff. but for those of you that are saying crown isn't doing anything worthy of top5 and that shinanigans... are you guys even watching or hearing what crown is doing this year? i don't think they would come off of their best finish to date at dci finals to come out the following year with an easy show.

just my .02

I've seen Crown too, and I do admit they have a pretty good show. The question is if the show will be good enough to pass Cadets (and if it does, stay ahead of Cadets). I think it could possibly pass Cadets, but I don't think it could stay ahead. Cadets' show is much different than last year and they have come out on a mission. In my opinion, Crown's show may not be able to stay ahead of Cadets' if they do pass them up, but anything can happen, of course.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

ok, i'm not going to try and ruffle any feathers here... but i know its cadets 75th anniversary and they are doing some pretty demanding stuff. but for those of you that are saying crown isn't doing anything worthy of top5 and that shinanigans... are you guys even watching or hearing what crown is doing this year? i don't think they would come off of their best finish to date at dci finals to come out the following year with an easy show.

Kinda funny isn't it. LAST year everyone "yeah crown is really good and all but their show design is just too simplistic". THIS year it's "yeah crown is really good and all but they're no match for the HNC". Same ol' same ol' !! I say just smile and let's see what happens.

Kinda funny isn't it. LAST year everyone "yeah crown is really good and all but their show design is just too simplistic". THIS year it's "yeah crown is really good and all but they're no match for the HNC". Same ol' same ol' !! I say just smile and let's see what happens.

This is a different year, and a different Crown and Cadets. Cadets don't have as many distractions that would prevent them from cleaning what they need to clean most. That gives them a chance to do what they do best.

But like you said, let's see what happens. Same ol same ol....

This is a different year, and a different Crown and Cadets. Cadets don't have as many distractions that would prevent them from cleaning what they need to clean most. That gives them a chance to do what they do best.

But like you said, let's see what happens. Same ol same ol....

One thing for sure, the chants of EAST should ring out in J Birney Crum this year! And HNC and Crown are on different nights this year. Wouldn't THAT be fun !!

One thing for sure, the chants of EAST should ring out in J Birney Crum this year! And HNC and Crown are on different nights this year. Wouldn't THAT be fun !!

I just thought about that. I can't WAIT to be one of the people screaming those two nights.

And last year everyone was yelling "Why can't Cadets go back to old school, in your face drum corps?" and now they're complaining "It's too old school, I don't like it." and "Why did George bail on his past few years of innovation and go back to Old School drum corps?"

Obviously most people will say anything without putting much thought into it. I wouldn't give them too much thought.

To bad a hornline cant win on its own. because crown has it right now lets see what happens but wow the dynamics are out of this world.

And last year everyone was yelling "Why can't Cadets go back to old school, in your face drum corps?" and now they're complaining "It's too old school, I don't like it." and "Why did George bail on his past few years of innovation and go back to Old School drum corps?"

Obviously most people will say anything without putting much thought into it. I wouldn't give them too much thought.

I don't think it's old school at all. In fact, I think this arrangement of WSS is just not that good. It lacks A LOT of melodic flow IMO. It's like it was created to be as different as possible from the '84 show (and that was one of the greatest ever) for the sake of being different. Musically, it's a shadow of the '84 show IMO. That being said, it is very well played and well marched, and I think the visual package is absolutely fantastic. Whether I like it or not, isn't the point - this is a great corps and I believe they will be right up there at season's end. Musically, it just leaves me really flat.

I don't think over the past few years people were shouting for the Cadets to go old school - but rather dump the cheesy, and quite frankly stupid, narration that completely and utterly detracted from the abilities of the drums, horns and guard. It's nice to see the Cadets returning to doing what they do best.

Who knows - maybe by year end this will be one of my favorite shows ever. I hated '91 Star for a long time and it is now my single favorite show ever. And, I hated Cadets '91 for a long time - now I think it was brilliant. I'll give this '09 Cadet show time, as I think it may get better musically with some changes.

I don't think it's old school at all. In fact, I think this arrangement of WSS is just not that good. It lacks A LOT of melodic flow IMO. It's like it was created to be as different as possible from the '84 show (and that was one of the greatest ever) for the sake of being different. Musically, it's a shadow of the '84 show IMO. That being said, it is very well played and well marched, and I think the visual package is absolutely fantastic. Whether I like it or not, isn't the point - this is a great corps and I believe they will be right up there at season's end. Musically, it just leaves me really flat.

I don't think over the past few years people were shouting for the Cadets to go old school - but rather dump the cheesy, and quite frankly stupid, narration that completely and utterly detracted from the abilities of the drums, horns and guard. It's nice to see the Cadets returning to doing what they do best.

Who knows - maybe by year end this will be one of my favorite shows ever. I hated '91 Star for a long time and it is now my single favorite show ever. And, I hated Cadets '91 for a long time - now I think it was brilliant. I'll give this '09 Cadet show time, as I think it may get better musically with some changes.

Well I know there were a lot of people on this site who were screaming old school. And now they got what they asked for. Of course, not everyone will like what they are playing but who knows, Cadets just may please the majority this year.

Anyone have a narrative on what Crown's show is about?

And before anyone says "you shouldn't have to a book to understand a drum corps show," I think the music stands on its own - a wonderful musical program. Just curious what Crown's going for...