Have you ever brought someone to a show............

I can't figure out why any such qualification would be necessary to answer this question. But now that you've said it, we're going to be expecting you to keep your word!

HH

Because I am sure that there are many people whose first introduction to drum corps was through another person who introduced them to it. Additionally, do you normally refer to yourself in the first person plural?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, in 2007...

The rest of our group tried our best not to give away our own opinions and bias. Overall, she loved it, although I think the first two comments I listed were the most unexpected. #1 may have been because we were fairly high up. Then again, maybe not. Bluecoats were her favorite overall, although she really liked SCV's music, too.

Because I am sure that there are many people whose first introduction to drum corps was through another person who introduced them to it. Additionally, do you normally refer to yourself in the first person plural?

Hmmm...had a kid in the band I teach who wore a t-shirt that said something like "People always tell me I'm schizophrenic, but we're OK now!" :doh:

Thanks for the heads up man! I've been interested in hearing those vented Yammies. Yamaha comes right after Pearl in sound IMO.

I got their 09 Preseason recording from the Fan Network and can't stop listening to it.

I'm taking the drumline I teach to the Toledo show tomorrow night. This group of kids is at a brand new high school (this past year was their first in existence) and none of them have the slightest idea as to what drum corps is other than a couple videos I've shown them. We all know that there isn't such a recording that can give justice to seeing a corps live, and feeling their impacts rattle your bones. I'll post again tomorrow night once I have their reactions. I'm guilty of being a little biased in which corps I talk about most, but I'm going to remind them before the show starts tomorrow that my opinions shouldn't have any kind of impact on their views of the corps.

I took my parents to a show a Rice university in 1993. We were kinda high up, near the 40. The main corps there were Cadets, Phantom, Madison Scouts, and Santa Clara Vanguard. The show order I believe (of those corps) was: Madison Scouts, Vanguard, Phantom Regiment, Cadets. After the show, I was telling my parents that before Cadets went on, I was thinking Phantom could win it. I was shocked to hear my father say, "Well, I thought for sure that the Scouts guys were gonna win until that last group (Cadets) went on...". My parents were really entertained by the Scouts, but they appreciated the beauty of the Cadets' hornline and could tell they put on a better performance. I was impressed that they could tell Cadets had a better performance but shocked that they couldn't tell the difference between the Scouts show and Phantom's show. They just wanted to be entertained, mostly.

Years later, (in 1999), I took my younger brother (who at the time played drums in an alternative rock band) to see a show with Blue Knights, Phantom, and Blue Devils. He said that Blue knights played well and were technically good, but were not very exciting. He thought Phantom looked really awesome in their all black uniforms, just their presence on the field and all, and he loved Blue Devils show (especially the great percussion parts throughout the opener) in general. One of his comments about the Blue Devils was, "Man, that's awesome how they move together!" He said this during the pit running part in the closer (watch the dvd and you'll see the movement he's talking about). I thought it was really cool that he could appreciate the unified movement like that because I wasn't expecting much from him after taking my parents in 93. I'm really glad I got him to a show before G bugles went the way of the dodo. This year, I am taking my father to a show in Edmond, Oklahoma on July 15th. It will be interesting to see his views on things since so much has changed (and I AM going to go into rule changes because hey, I want him to know what's going on here). Incidentally, I actually have an extra ticket to this show. It is a premium seat, Section 103, Row 29, seat 3, if anyone's interested pm me.

I took some friends to show them what I was always talking about/involved with. I took a different approach. We started early and met up with a corps at their practice/housing site. I found some staff I had taught with, introduced them, they invited my guests to watch, close up with them. We were invited for lunch and we saw the cook trailer, trucks buses etc.....it was one of the assistant directors at the time who explained about being on the road, housing, travelling etc... My one friend was at that time more interested in the trucks and trailers, the set up etc....to the point where he started telling them about changing their set up on the cooker, once he was told why it was that set up, he understood, when he saw it in action, he really got it, (note to self....never take a trucker/auto enthusiast to a drum corps show/housing site without blindfolding them through the parking lot), lol so we watched some ensemble rehersal, then the staff offered for us to view with them the run through (up on the scaffolding) only one or two did, the rest of us just stood back. We thanked everyone, went for supper to a decent restaurant, made our way to the stadium, bought souvies, put money in the "fuel fund" jars got our seats, I did not need to explain a whole lot as the staff had done that while they were watching rehersal. At the end of the night we went to see the corps off, one of my friends slipped a few dollars to the director to add to the fuel fund, although he did not ever tell us how much, I saw at least $100 leave his hand. They were not only impressed by the shows themselves but also with the members, their attitudes, politeness and respect for the staff. All in all a great time. Although this would be draining on almost all rookies, my friends seem to get it and can't wait till we can get together again to see some drum corps, unfortunately, due to schedules we have never been able to get all of us together for a show, but I know one guy follows the action from DCI.org and I think, although he won't say it, makes donations to some corps every year. Good friends, great corps, amazing day, what else could be said.

Edited by CanadianDirector

In 2005, I took the family to the Indy show . I had not seen a show in person myself for many years, and the rest of the group never.

They were all amazed with the sound and the athletics. My wife has now become a die hard fan. and we now attend as many shows as we can each season.

The best was my daughter , a HS freshman , and a trumpet player, (good but just average musician.)

She was totally taken with it all, and afterward said " I have got to do that!!!" She immediatly started to practice more and more. We got her a private teacher, and she became a fine musician.

In 2007 she auditioned for Glassmen, was accepted, and is now in her third year. She has also decided to go into Music Education, and has gotten a music scholarship and will be attending university this fall after finals.

So sometimes , bringing someone to a show can really make a difference.

In 2005, I took the family to the Indy show . I had not seen a show in person myself for many years, and the rest of the group never.

They were all amazed with the sound and the athletics. My wife has now become a die hard fan. and we now attend as many shows as we can each season.

The best was my daughter , a HS freshman , and a trumpet player, (good but just average musician.)

She was totally taken with it all, and afterward said " I have got to do that!!!" She immediatly started to practice more and more. We got her a private teacher, and she became a fine musician.

In 2007 she auditioned for Glassmen, was accepted, and is now in her third year. She has also decided to go into Music Education, and has gotten a music scholarship and will be attending university this fall after finals.

So sometimes , bringing someone to a show can really make a difference.

Yeah, you never know. I didn't think much of marching band when I was young (mid 90's) and then I saw some vids of DCI in the mid 90's and thought that I just had to do that. And I did and it was a life changer.