2009 Rankings

if MCL wants to bring 48 horns, great! But they have to knock off Alliance, Crusaders and Kilties to make finals.

MCL kinda surprised everyone at MiniCorps' last year. .........AND.....they still have "G" Horns. Just sayin............

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the dcp methodology takes into account statistical factors (head to head, date of performance, etc).

Most recent scores are weighted differently than earlier scores.

the data gets skewed a bit if there is a big time lag between shows (ie Minn Brass has a weighted score in the high 70's, but havent been scored since June 22...it is likely that their 8/1 show will change the lineup should they score competitively with Hurcs, Empire, Bucs and Cabs).

the stats on the DCI page are more statistically significant because there is so much more data to include

dca stats are less reliable.

fewer shows.

fewer scores

fewer head-to-heads.

but its all we got :)

thanks Joey

Well, if a non NE corps corps makes finals over a NE corps it changes the voting power in DCA - that's why people get excited. I don't really care but I'm guessing there are a few corps directors who DO NOT want to be 11th when MCL (or Alliance ) are in 10th.

Or DCA finals in Chicago could be right around the corner.

Do people really think that DCA is going to let this happen?Rochester already has finals locked in for the next 3 years.

I think one southern corps will slither their way in this year but that is going to be it.One vote will change nothing.

Update the scores are you scared to do it or what

Not at all, but if I try I WILL mess up.

DCA let this happen?????

GIVE ME A BREAK

Once in a while someone says something that just causes shock waves up and down my body... Who is DCA? Where are these conspirators who go make sure one things happens or who goes and makes sure something DOES happen... where are these deal makers? Where are these mountains of men who control peoples minds... Some people just assume that there must be political control... NOT!

The corps are DCA

The corps set the rules, sheets and criteria scale by which they are rewarded

The corps hire the chief judges to make sure the judges know what they are doing

The corps hire management to make sure the shows happen - NOT decide who wins and who doesn't

but the only thing effecting the scores on the sheets are the performances of the corps themselves - I have been a chief judge - I have given judges instructions before a show... not once did I ever say anything other than "have a good time and call it like you see it" I have been working in DCA since 1966 - and in drum corps for more than a decade before that... I assure you NO ONE - outside the product on the field - is influencing the judges

The only reason the NE has been dominant all these years is that senior corps died in the late 50's in all areas other than the Northeast. Skokie died... Harvey Seeds died... Edison Lamplighters died and many more... I don't even know why, but I suspect it was because of the large geographical travel problems once it became impractical to travel by train... Yet in the Northeast, as the expressways grew and even before, travel to shows with 5 to 10 very competitive corps was quite possible... via that notorious overnight Drive on Friday Nights... and we did that with NO bathrooms on the buses... We have corps that have been doing this for over 60 years... year in year out... they have people in their corps that have been doing this for decades - if nothing else, they have a darn good idea what mistakes NOT to make... When Rick Martin in Brigadiers needs to make a key decision - he has people like Rick Morey and Tom Meek who between them have the experience of Methusoluh (sp?)... Same with every other NE corps that has that kind of lengevity... Look at Cabs Alumni? How many of those gray hairs do something to help the competing corps? Almost ALL...

Up and coming corps like CorpsVets have learned to get advice from the "experienced" crew and began to flourish... (I'd like to think my input in their early years helped) the others too have sought out and gotten help, but what we have today only flourishes because these corps have learned to adapt and adjust their programs to fit their circumstances... DCA has done NOTHING but encourage them... and it's paying off for all involved (indeed - the entire activity is benefiting)...

But I just can't find an instance where a corps got screwed because DCA was "protecting" northeastern corps... were we protecting Northeastern corps when Inspires beat Cabs? How about Renegades? Have they ever been denied a place among the best? Did not I read MBI in 2nd place at finals? Was I asleep in my chair... do I need to go on? The list is long...

Come on folks... If there are changes in the top 10 - so be it! but it will be because of the performances by the men and women on the field... not by some pre-ordained master plan...

off my soap box... let's concentrate now on Scranton for the top 6 and all those class A corps in Waterloo... Let's have a great August and see everyone in Rochester in September...