2009 Rankings

The only reason the NE has been dominant all these years is that senior corps died in the late 50's in all areas other than the Northeast. Skokie died... Harvey Seeds died... Edison Lamplighters died and many more... I don't even know why, but I suspect it was because of the large geographical travel problems once it became impractical to travel by train... Yet in the Northeast, as the expressways grew and even before, travel to shows with 5 to 10 very competitive corps was quite possible... via that notorious overnight Drive on Friday Nights... and we did that with NO bathrooms on the buses...

So true (as usual) Tom!

When the "great" Sr. Corps of the Midwest started to die out (and, yes....Travel/$$$ was a big key) a lot of the members decided to "pass the torch" on to the Junior circuit. Just look at how many Midwest Jr. Corps took root and blossomed in the 60's. Marching members of Skokie....Harvey....Edison went on to mentor, teach and grow the ever increasing number of Junior corps......And they made their mark! (As a kid I was very spoiled.... I loved going to the Illinois VFW/AL State Championships.....Mini-Nats in my own back yard!)

Travel has and always will be a problem for "This Thing of Ours".

Just how many Midwest and Eastern corps "broke their bones" trying to be like the Troopers? There are a few corps who can lay the beginning of their demise on trying to "expand the activity" in such endeavors as DATR etc.

Yes....It is all an East Coast conspiracy....And it has been so since the first time the Boys of 76 had to travel East. Don't believe me? Just ask my Grandfather and father! (I've heard this argument since I was born!)

Sure....I would love to see "parity" in travel.....But it ain't gonna happen folks....

This activity has its roots in two key things...."Bragging rights" and money. Deal with it or go play somewhere else.

Do you know how weird it was having a drill instructor (Twice! Guardsmen and Royal Airs) that was your fathers Drum Major?

Can't top this post.

Kate

• Replies 672
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

..........considering it's the end of July, and what I've seen and heard so far, here are my predictions on races for Open Class placements:

1 Buccaneers

2 Hurricanes

Caballeros

Minnesota Brass

5 Renegades

Empire Statesmen

7 CorpsVets

Music City Legend

Alliance

10 Bushwackers

Brigadiers

Kilties

Crusaders

..........considering it's the end of July, and what I've seen and heard so far, here are my predictions on races for Open Class placements:

1 Buccaneers

2 Hurricanes

Caballeros

Minnesota Brass

5 Renegades

Empire Statesmen

7 CorpsVets

Music City Legend

Alliance

10 Bushwackers

Brigadiers

Kilties

Crusaders

Wow, that would certainly be something if Bush or Brigs were out of Finals. When was the last time that ever happened? It will certainly be a very tough year to get in.

i'm pretty sure Bush has never been out of finals...

Nope

Also, don't forget what month starts Saturday.

yep,..............21 corps this Saturday on DCA sheets, with DCA panels, at DCA shows,..........

Hallelujah!