Dublin Review

Ok. Here it is kids: the obligatory disclaimer.

I started marching the first year of Bb and aged-out in ’05. I have opinions and biases (and if you think they reflect on who I marched with, you’re an idiot), and if you’re easily offended, you should go ahead and just click on that little ol’ back button right about now. This review is not for you.

And also, if you can’t separate design criticism from oh-my-god-he’s-directly-insulting-my-son/daughter, you might want to head to a different part of the forums. Thank you.

Ok. On to the show.

Before I get cracking, I’ve got to give it up for the people of Dublin who run the show every year. I’ve been to that stadium in various corps/band/performer/teacher roles over the years, and they’ve never failed to be a total class act, from the students to the volunteers.

And they have Chick-Fil-A at the concession stand. Yes.

Capital Regiment- This was much, MUCH better than I had expected of them coming off of last year’s absence. Will it be a legendary show for the books? Oh hell no. BUT, it’s a solid foothold for a corps trying to get back to where it was just a short time ago.

Six guard members hurts, yes, but the writing and staging seemed to make up for some of the numbers shortcomings. The percussion section picking up flags in the ballad was a nice Crossmen-y touch, but for the love of God, they looked like Disney animatronic puppets back there, and the transition out of the section back to the drums was ultra-distracting.

Brass was… in June. And that’s ok, especially considering the infinitesimally small number of actually vets (one trumpet girl, I heard?). My problem here was with the writing. I’ve seen Jay Wardeska take a “meh” band program in NE Ohio and help to make it easily the most ###### marching ensemble in the region. Now I need to see him head a brass book that’s… um… interesting. Maybe it was a conscious effort to play it safe for the first year back, in which case, it’s totally understandable. But please, all designers, make an effort to keep me from wanting to hit up the hot dogs.

Drumline was solid. Well done. Stuck out from the rest of the corps in a very positive way. I’d look for them to definitely boost music scores throughout the season.

Colts- I’m going on record right now: This is the best edition of the Colts ever. E-ver. The uniforms work beautifully from the box, and really stand out as something visually special that creates identity. Guard uniforms reminded me of 2000 Cavaliers, which is always a good thing. If this isn’t a finalist corps this year, I’ll be shocked.

The nautical theme worked well, but now it’s time to learn how to better balance synths. Occasionally the bass levels were just right and it combined with the hornline for a gorgeous, full sound that I’ve never heard from a field. Occasionally it sounded like hell, and just stuck out and made me feel like it was faintly 1986 again.

It’s really a tricky show to review becase the whole #### thing is just… pleasant. Not my favorite show ever, or even in my top 30, but all sections of the corps were exactly where they should be for June 23rd.

Glassmen- When I saw the new unis up close, I thought “wow.” When I saw them from up top, I thought, “wow… What a mess.” Not the worst ever, but visual clutter is definitely evident. I’m still trying to figure out just why the eff they changed their 99-00-era uniforms. Great individually; great from the box.

Immediately, I felt like breaking out my old 02 “Boring” shirt again (despite never having actually bought one). Good Lord. It felt like they were purposely challenging me to not get up and go use the trough in the men’s room (or was that the sink? uh oh.). After the ballad, it kicked up a little bit and got interesting, but the brass arranging was vintage Glassmen in the worst possible way.

Side note: Am I the only person who actually kinda loved their 2000 show?

Saving grace was definitely the percussion arranging. Rob Ferguson is a bad mutha, and it shows. Visually, the corps looks more consistent from person to person than they did last year, which is a good sign. The corps is definitely going to be solid this year, and the show thankfully gets better as it moves along. All-in-all, I’d say it’s an improvement over the 08 edition, and with considerably more vets than last year’s corps, Glassmen should be able to keep up the solid performance throughout the season.

Intermission- There was a moment of silence for the passing of Ed McMahon, followed by a full 8 minutes of silence to mourn the tragic death of Bob Barker at the hands of pygmy ninjas and wild dogs. Tears were shed. Bladders were emptied. Hot dogs were devoured. I give intermission a solid 7.5 out of 10.

Boston- I have never really liked Boston with the exception of 01. Holy ****. This is easily their best show ever. Genius concept. Great musical selection. Entertaining arrangements and good use of ethnic percussion sounds.

To paraphrase Kathy Griffin (and with all due respect), anybody who doesn’t like their theme execution can...well...you know. :) I really don’t care whether it’s a youth activity. I paid money to see engaging art, and ######, they put a thought-provoking product on the field (and you can insert the obvious guard uniform-##### joke here. We’ve all seen then, and I’m sure their male corps members are very happy this year. That’s all that needs to be said.).

And wow. I would have looooved to have had “Maenads” in place of “Incantations” back in ’05 Bluecoats. What a piece. Great arrangement all around.

A quick note on their encore (which sounded GREAT, btw): the “Time to Say Goodbye” arrangement SUCKED. As in suuuuuuuucked. How ‘bout just play the 00 version? Maybe sliiiightly watered if need be (though I don’t know why it would need be). Are there really no rope drums, or even concert snares, sitting around for the ostinato before the impact? Yikes. Playing the old arrangement + singing + massive FFF impact = having to get a row boat to exit the field due to the flood of thrown babies. I know it. The crowd knows it. Why the eff doesn’t your staff? And also, what the heck was that frst quick little ditty? You think that’s what the audience wants to be entertained by? Come on.

*Ahem* Digression over. The show rocked. Moving on.

The Holy Name Cadets of Bergen County Sponsored by Youth Education in the Arts¬- I’m sorry, guys. You’ve become the Prince of DCI. When you change your corps name to a symbol and start wearing assless chaps, I’m officially done.

My first thought was “Jesus. Not again.” My second thought was “Hello, brass trophy winners.”

Despite the corps clubbing a dead horse with the fervor of… well… someone who like to club things. A lot. This hornline is SMOKING. Well-balanced, especially for June. Ensemble issues hurt them more than anything (and were very apparent at times, especially laterally, horns to drums). I absolutely love their sound. Gorgeous.

The opener (actually, everything before the ballad) was just… ugh. No. Try again, please. Performance is there for this time of year, but it’s got some deep design issues that I’m sure will get fixed in July.

The ballad, on the other hand, caused me to research hermaphroditic genetic manipulation solely so I could impregnate myself, have a 30-second gestation period, and chuck that little newborn like a Hail Mary onto the field. Well freaking done, Cadets.

The last minute and a half was straight out of the mid-‘90s Cadets playbook. Fast. Loud. Symmetrical. ######.

Carolina Crown- If the ’08 Blue Devils constantly risked absurdity, ’09 Crown constantly tries to be as blatantly absurd as all hell at all times. They should have entitled this show “Avant Garde, Overt and #### Proud of It.” It’s Star ’93 for the ADD generation.

This show’s a tough one to review. You like it or you don’t. They play well. They move well. They spin well.

And someone must have been thirsty for a baby food and Tinkerbell smoothie when they designed this year’s color palette.

I’m definitely seeing them top 5 again. Not the fan-fav that they were the last couple years, but it gets the job done and gives the envelope a nice little shove.

All right, kids. I’ve been slacking off at work for the last hour to write this. Time to go get paid entirely too little to do some actual work. This show was a GREAT start to the ’09 season!

Boston- I have never really liked Boston with the exception of 01. Holy ****. This is easily their best show ever. Genius concept. Great musical selection. Entertaining arrangements and good use of ethnic percussion sounds.

And wow. I would have looooved to have had “Maenads” in place of “Incantations” back in ’05 Bluecoats. What a piece. Great arrangement all around.

Excellent review, I chuckled throughout! I snipped the above part because it stood out to me the most. 2001 is also one of my favorite Boston productions, and doesn't get enough love around here. I also loved your '05 show and if Maenads is better than Incantation then it's got to be a pretty sweet selection. If they're putting out a show like that, then I can't wait to see it on Sunday.

Holy #### What a great review!

Wow, you should review every show.

And oh, how often I've wanted to somehow be impregnated by The Cadets :) LOL

The ballad, on the other hand, caused me to research hermaphroditic genetic manipulation solely so I could impregnate myself, have a 30-second gestation period, and chuck that little newborn like a Hail Mary onto the field. Well freaking done, Cadets.

Wow...just...wow. Good review.

What a Bold, Fresh Piece of Humanity You Are ! ( haha!)

Great Review !

Colts- I’m going on record right now: This is the best edition of the Colts ever. E-ver. The uniforms work beautifully from the box, and really stand out as something visually special that creates identity. Guard uniforms reminded me of 2000 Cavaliers, which is always a good thing. If this isn’t a finalist corps this year, I’ll be shocked.

The nautical theme worked well, but now it’s time to learn how to better balance synths. Occasionally the bass levels were just right and it combined with the hornline for a gorgeous, full sound that I’ve never heard from a field. Occasionally it sounded like hell, and just stuck out and made me feel like it was faintly 1986 again.

It’s really a tricky show to review becase the whole #### thing is just… pleasant. Not my favorite show ever, or even in my top 30, but all sections of the corps were exactly where they should be for June 23rd.

Yup, yup, yup...I jumped on the Colts bandwagon a week ago. I think this years show is put together VERY well and...well...it makes sense. Its clean (the idea, not the drill yet) and not over the top. Some of the other corps just blast you upside the head (Boston, BD) which is a good thing...but sometimes you just want a well rounded, balanced show.

The Colts are still my pick for most improved by the end of this season.

Cali.