Phantom Regiment...

After finally getting a chance to watch Phantom last night I came away very disappointed. I found this show a set back from previous years...(IMO) I'd have to go back before 2003.

I guess I can say I'm never biased in my assessment of a drum corp show. With all the talent accross the board I still can't find one song that sticks in my mind to remember. The drill which in previous years fit into the theme of the show has now become a mass of slow moving parts with only an occassional form that fits into the show. Even with the slow progression many members seem to have difficulty executing.

Hornline was ok but for some reason the staff has chosen to go a different route. Instead of giving them something that plays to their strengths they have choosen to get away from that and offer what is normally given to lessor corps (No offense to the lower placing corps).

The drumline is tight as usual but total corp placement will only drag down the drum scores. You are only as strong as your weakest point.

The color guard seems to get lost in the drill but their execution is acceptable for this time of year.

My assessment is critical but I expect more from the talent! To me it's like the Yankees that didn't come to play!

(IMO) if they want to compete for the top, major rewrites in music and drill will need to be done.

Finals placement as it stands now...7th Place

Lets get back to the formula that works!

Edited by Phantombari1

Although I haven't seen Phantom's show live, I just watched a video of the show from last night in Normal.

I thought it was a great show with lots of potential. The piece (at this point) that is missing is the emotional GE factor that grabs the audience and pulls them right in. That is what won them the title last year. I'm not sure if the red violin can have that same effect in the same herioc and conflict/resolution way that Spartacus did.

I was most impressed with their visual design (not usually a strong point for phantom IMHO)

I thought it was a great show with lots of potential.

Heh, I liked it too. I don't see why some are #####ing and complaining about it. The whole thing says PHANTOM if you ask me. Some VERY pretty moments in the music and the drill is pretty good too. They still have a lot of room to grow. It's not perfect at this point, but shows are NEVER perfect in June for obvious reasons. I have to say I'm really looking forward to seeing the show live. :tongue:

Heh, I liked it too. I don't see why some are #####ing and complaining about it. The whole thing says PHANTOM if you ask me. Some VERY pretty moments in the music and the drill is pretty good too. They still have a lot of room to grow. It's not perfect at this point, but shows are NEVER perfect in June for obvious reasons. I have to say I'm really looking forward to seeing the show live. :tongue:

Do you like Star Trek Voyager?

Sorry, off topic. But I had to ask.

I guess I can say I'm never biased in my assessment of a drum corp show. With all the talent accross the board I still can't find one song that sticks in my mind to remember.

How could you NOT remember any of the music? It's just the Paginini theme- over, and over, and over, and over... :thumbup:

Hornline was ok but for some reason the staff has chosen to go a different route. Instead of giving them something that plays to their strengths they have choosen to get away from that and offer what is normally given to lessor corps (No offense to the lower placing corps).

I heard a ton of notes, so I would disagree with you here. I think the horn book sounds incredibly difficult.

(IMO) if they want to compete for the top, major rewrites in music and drill will need to be done.

Agreed with the drill statement. While better than the Leon May/Johnnie Sanchez offerings, this drill is way behind Jamey Thompson, in my opinion.

As of June 27, I'll say this... when I think of the least impressive show designs for a post-championship year, I always think 1991 Cadets and 2006 Cadets. I expect this show, as of today, to pop into mind.

After finally getting a chance to watch Phantom last night I came away very disappointed. I found this show a set back from previous years...(IMO) I'd have to go back before 2003.

I guess I can say I'm never biased in my assessment of a drum corp show. With all the talent accross the board I still can't find one song that sticks in my mind to remember. The drill which in previous years fit into the theme of the show has now become a mass of slow moving parts with only an occassional form that fits into the show. Even with the slow progression many members seem to have difficulty executing.

The drumline is tight as usual but total corp placement will only drag down the drum scores. You are only as strong as your weakest point.

The color guard seems to get lost in the drill but their execution is acceptable for this time of year.

My assessment is critical but I expect more from the talent! To me it's like the Yankees that didn't come to play!

Finals placement as it stands now...7th Place

Lets get back to the formula that works!

EXACTLY!! :tongue:

I think they thought that Red Violin would translate into the same kind of drama, but it's a dark story and hard to make big and visual like 08. They may still have some tricks up their sleeves and they are musically capable. Amazing DL. We'll see! :thumbup:

Along the same lines, I think Crown will do great this year, a contender, but I really thought they had something going in 07 when they broke away from the pack with amazing show design.

Oddly enough, it seems like that's being said about all the major contenders this year.