Madison Contest Tonight Question

Is stating that I don't like electronics with my drums/horns 'spreading venum'?

I don't hate the kids!

I doubt if anyone hates the kids.

It's some of the 'inovations' that hurt me!!!

It's not spreading venom. Marching members are all terrific and electronics stink. Simple as that (IMHO of course) and thanks for saying so.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Madison encore

Crowd isn't cheering

Not on their feet

Little clapping

Half the crowd went home

....the are playing show music

It was a mellow, respectful, sophisticated crowd and not the rabid sort. I told others after leaving the show that this was a show that Madison's fans and alumni would be happy with, and I believe they were. From where I sat near the top of the 50 yard line, all the way across the seating there appeared to be a lot of appreciation for and positive reaction to the power and excitment of Madison's show, in both their field performance and their encore. The comments above aren't necessarily inaccurate, but it should not be assumed that the crowd did not like Madison just because they weren't going nuts for the entire time. And as someone else pointed out, there was another major event across town that was postponed from Saturday night to Sunday night, and so a lot of people were probably on the move to get there. It was certainly too beautiful of an evening to scatter otherwise, and we know that drum corps crowds don't do that, least of all from such a pleasant setting.

Edited by dmfootworks

It's not spreading venom. Marching members are all terrific and electronics stink. Simple as that (IMHO of course) and thanks for saying so.

I'm just of the opinion that it is Drum and Bugle Corp.....not Drum, Bugle, Guitar and Bass Corp.

I've accepted the amplifying of the pit BECAUSE it just brings out the sound of the pit work.

Horns have become so loud that its hard for the volume of the pit to compete!

BUT if I want to listen to an electric guitar and bass I can go to a concert.

Horn parts have been replaced by either the bass or the guitar.

There are tons of rock concerts to choose from - pretty much every city has them.

But why 'steal' my drum corps? There are fewer and fewer drum corp shows.

Do some feel the electonics will bring more people to the shows - I guess they do, but it takes horns out at the same time.

ROCK ON SPIRIT! The music is GREAT and the show is GREAT.

I'm not the least bit angry (or filled with HATE and VENOM) with the kids, its the choice of instruments!

....the guitar/bass player seems to be very talented by the way.

I wouldnt mind seeing him in a ROCK BAND.......

I'm just of the opinion that it is Drum and Bugle Corp.....not Drum, Bugle, Guitar and Bass Corp.

I've accepted the amplifying of the pit BECAUSE it just brings out the sound of the pit work.

There are tons of rock concerts to choose from - pretty much every city has them.

Do some feel the electonics will bring more people to the shows - I guess they do, but it takes horns out at the same time.

I'm not the least bit angry (or filled with HATE and VENOM) with the kids, its the choice of instruments!

I agree. I love bass and drums (I play drumset), but I can see those anywhere. I've always loved drum corps because the combination and limitation of instruments was special and unique and were part of a long history and tradition. Those special things have been diluted and thus it is a less special experience for me now.

Edited by dmfootworks

Standing O's are great but does that translate in top 10 DCA status?

IMHO

Kate

And such is the mindset of the current DCI elite. Electronics and such are the result of that mindset.

You said a mouthful there Kate. The future of drum corps...sell out, sell out, sell out. :blink:

Edited by BigBadMadMan

A scapegoat is an innocent who is blamed for the wrongs of others. In this case Spirit is guilty of using an instrument many find unsuitable for a drum corps show. But apparently it's legal, so who cares what some people think.

I was there in the middle of the stands. Spirit's electronics were a terrible distraction from otherwise (probably - had to tell) nice horn stuff. Front ensemble WAY overballanced the horns/battery. The young Phantom alumni next to me noted "The horns are playing backup to the pit the whole show??" The crowd was pretty cool to Spirit.

And, normally I am hugely biased to Madison (stepson just did 4 years with them, and family members are 1970's alums), but I was only luke-warm on Scouts' show, and the electronic bass (finger on keyboard) was unnecessary and annoying. The men performed well, but I really didn't care for the music.

Most irritating sound of the night = amplified steel drum was clipping/distorted.

Phantom was phantastic. Mellophones were hot -- contras were roaring (no need for fake bass with this corps!)

Fun sight: Next to the stadium is a public pool. During Madison's show, lots of little kids were watching from poolside, jumping and dancing with their beach towels like flags. Would have made great video.

And such is the mindset of the current DCI elite. Electronics and such are the result of that mindset.

You said a mouthful there Kate. The future of drum corps...sell out, sell out, sell out. :blink:

Kilties perform at MACBDA shows and get the total rock star treatment. Multiple mid-show ovations. Those people LOVE The Kilties. And that seems to be the place to recruit high school kids, as Kilties' average age continues to plummet. They also see something pretty cool they could be a part of that is WEEKEND ONLY and does not cost them their summer job and life savings.

Madison performed at the "Madisonic" MACBDA band show in Whitewater the other night. I'm sure the fans went insane for them. A whole different level of appreciation at those shows. Far more "fun" than DCI shows, IMHO.

Kilties perform at MACBDA shows and get the total rock star treatment. Multiple mid-show ovations. Those people LOVE The Kilties. And that seems to be the place to recruit high school kids, as Kilties' average age continues to plummet. They also see something pretty cool they could be a part of that is WEEKEND ONLY and does not cost them their summer job and life savings.

Madison performed at the "Madisonic" MACBDA band show in Whitewater the other night. I'm sure the fans went insane for them. A whole different level of appreciation at those shows. Far more "fun" than DCI shows, IMHO.

No doubt. I guess I was just more shocked that she actually used the "crowd reaction is great and all, but does it help you win?" argument in relation to a DCA corps!!! lol The day that DCA falls victim to that mindset is the day that drum corps dies entirely.

I was there in the middle of the stands. Spirit's electronics were a terrible distraction from otherwise (probably - had to tell) nice horn stuff. Front ensemble WAY overballanced the horns/battery. The young Phantom alumni next to me noted "The horns are playing backup to the pit the whole show??" The crowd was pretty cool to Spirit.

Yeah. It's not just that there's too much of the electronics but that there are big pieces and intervals of horns not in action. Too often it really does seem as if the pit is the focal point of their show.

Edited by dmfootworks

I agree. I can't get past the Bass, set drummer and electric piano (keyboard).

That is just not Drum Corps to me.

I agree also with the statement about "stealing" my drum corps. There are other activities...

I liked Blue Stars, but I think they could use about 5 of the "factory" tables...it was too crowded.

Seeing that I was on that side of the field - a few parts of the show were way on the other end of the field and I sat there looking a empty tables.