Madison Contest Tonight Question

With respect, I wouldn't doubt that any of this is true, but the fact is that many people are very unhappy about what your staff has given these corps members. That is the reality.

I believe he was speaking as an alum and probably in the know with regard to the Spirit family. You are probably not in that circle, so what you are saying is not accurate nor relevant.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so there's a lot of folks that aren't happy with what many corps are doing with the new rules, and are voicing their opinions with differing degrees of maturity (myself included, which I am not proud of).

But the use of electronics was voted in by leaders of DCI, comprised of active, current corps representatives.

My question is, WHAT DID YOU EXPECT?

Those who proposed and wrote the rules knew fully well what was to come, or they would have written the rule with restrictions designed to be more "true" to the activity.

Just for the record, I am against all electrical activity on the field, including the amplification of the pit. I just think it runs counter to the basic concept of drum corps, which (to me) is LOUD SOUND produced from the gut and limb.

But, again, the "experts" voted to include these changes.

And some corps are taking it farther than others, but THEY ARE STILL WITHIN THE RULES.

It makes me angry to hear words like "abortion" and "guilty" when referring to a corps' use of an instrument that is completely legal and approved by DCI for use.

Does it mean Drum Corps is making another radical change? I think yes, and not for the better.

Will the dissent compel DCI to change the rules BACK? I think no, based on precedent.

Some of the posts by some of the people have made me sad, especially to think of how my child will feel when he gets off tour and reads some of it.

And I think ALOT of the posts are from people jumping on the "flam" wagon, without actually listening to the shows they are complaining about. Some are from people who have heard the shows, but I think some people like to stir things up, just to get their names in an active post.

Because I have listened to all of the these shows (on FN), and none of them (including Spirit) seems like the end of the world to me. I personally think some of the sounds are inappropriate to their respective shows, and I personally think these shows will change as the season progresses and the judges react to the new sounds.

Get that, THE JUDGES will decide. THE JUDGES come from the activity; most of them are steeped in drum corps tradition. If anybody will get angry and prompt changes, it will be them. And I think probably NONE of them read DCP.

If you want to get angry at anybody, get angry at the DCI ruling class for making these changes.

Write to DCI and voice your concern.

Edited by OMH

I believe he was speaking as an alum and probably in the know with regard to the Spirit family. You are probably not in that circle, so what you are saying is not accurate nor relevant.

Ummmmm...hello? Looked around DCP lately? It is indeed accurate and relevant.

You guys wanna sample some REAL negativity? Go read up in the Madison Uniform thread where a poster called the Scouts guard a bunch of "8 year-old Special Olympics contestants dressed up like a poor man's superhero". Did I ever read anyone insulting the bass player? Nope.

Oldsoprano, I understand that you're not only an alum but also a parent...and so taking this personally is also understandable. But you're gonna have to get some thicker skin, boss. This is the best and the worst of the internet age we live in. It's awesome because we can discuss these things in a way fans never could have when you marched or even really when I marched....and it is, in turn, horrible when we have to read things that we disagree with or that are hurtful. You take the good with the bad.

I applaud you, however, for coming to the defense of both your corps and your child.

I said that what the staff has given the corps has made a lot of people unhappy. Have you been reading other threads? This is the truth.

I also said that I don't doubt that what he said (about his organization, alumni, etc.) is true.

What is not accurate and not relevant? Is anything that anyone says here relevant?

Is anyone "not in that circle" disqualified from making a satement about what he had to say?

Edited by dmfootworks

Wow... wondering if it's safe on this playground, or if it's best to stay out of this sandbox...

Guys, remember that DCP posts are just OPINIONS. You don't have to agree with what is posted, but I think we CAN all agree that personal attacks are not appropriate here. Especially ridiculous is calling out someone for being "stupid" just because they have a typo in their post. Get real...

Hey, I don't agree with all that is happening with every corps this year, but it is what it is, and my guess is that all of the shows are rather incomplete at this time, so let's let these shows evolve and see what happens later in the season. So most corps are experimenting with the new electronics rules... so what? If it works this year then it will likely be used again, and if not, we'll likely see this experiment going the way of the DoDo Bird. Could be worse... at least we're not seeing mics on horns... yet.

And, BTW, my son is proudly wearing one of those Madison Superhero outfits, and I have no doubt that the design team knew what they were doing when they put those on the field. The show is based on a Mexican comic book superhero, so it seems logical that they should be wearing something to fit the part.

Go Scouts!!!

Wow... wondering if it's safe on this playground, or if it's best to stay out of this sandbox...

Guys, remember that DCP posts are just OPINIONS. You don't have to agree with what is posted, but I think we CAN all agree that personal attacks are not appropriate here. Especially ridiculous is calling out someone for being "stupid" just because they have a typo in their post. Get real...

Hey, I don't agree with all that is happening with every corps this year, but it is what it is, and my guess is that all of the shows are rather incomplete at this time, so let's let these shows evolve and see what happens later in the season. So most corps are experimenting with the new electronics rules... so what? If it works this year then it will likely be used again, and if not, we'll likely see this experiment going the way of the DoDo Bird. Could be worse... at least we're not seeing mics on horns... yet.

And, BTW, my son is proudly wearing one of those Madison Superhero outfits, and I have no doubt that the design team knew what they were doing when they put those on the field. The show is based on a Mexican comic book superhero, so it seems logical that they should be wearing something to fit the part.

Go Scouts!!!

Agreed. I certainly enjoy a healthy debate and often jump into the fray...it's what you do when love the activity the way many of us do! Not to mention that it's fun. :ph34r:

I got a post pulled a week or two ago for suggesting that Mr. Hopkins is narcissistic...and then I got to read the comment I posted above earlier today...which, I believe, ia still up. As far as i'm concerned, making personal remarks about the members is way out of line. Criticize the staff, criticize the show, design, use of electronics, etc. but leave the individual members out of it if you can't find a way to be more civil in your assessments...

And to all the Spirit defenders...let's be genuine in this and any more discussions in the future...NOBODY IS BASHING THE KIDS, so can we please stop pretending that someone just called your son, daughter, friend, nephew, niece, or whatever a bad name? No need to be misrepresenting people's comments, ok?

And Linda, tell your son i'm a HUGE fan of the superhero costumes! :unhappy:

I said that what the staff has given the corps has made a lot of people unhappy. Have you been reading other threads? This is the truth.

I also said that I don't doubt that what he said (about his organization, alumni, etc.) is true.

What is not accurate and not relevant? Is anything that anyone says here relevant?

Is anyone "not in that circle" disqualified from making a satement about what he had to say?

A relative minority in relation to those who follow the activity with an open mind.

A relative minority in relation to those who follow the activity with an open mind.

It may be a minority, and it may be more than a minority. But it is a fact that a lot of people are unhappy about it, as I stated. And that includes open-minded people like me.

With respect, I wouldn't doubt that any of this is true, but the fact is that many people are very unhappy about what your staff has given these corps members. That is the reality.

why don't you read the whole post!!!

"Yes, you are allowed not to like Spirit because of their use of the newly-allowed instrumentation. By the same token, we ARE allowed to like Spirit for the same reason. And a lot of us do."