Madison Contest Tonight Question

Not sure how much of an effect playing time actually has on the brass score. I haven't taken a look at the sheets in a few years but I'm pretty sure I don't remember seeing it on there.

The Musicianship or Musicality or whatever MUS on the recap sheet is short for will tell the tale. As one of the judges at the Toledo show told me, "It's all about what's on the field"

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Exhibition only.

They actually had two shows tonight.

They did Drums On and then went and did a Marching Band Contest.

That's news to me. Yes, we did have two performances this evening with the marching band show as a exhibition but not the Madison show last we heard; as told we were to be on DCA sheets.

Either way, The Kilties love to perform, and if the fans liked it......that's all good stuff; they pay for the tickets.

The fans were GREAT at both events this evening, and the corps had a GREAT time performing for them.

Personally, I'll take 4 to 5 spontaneous thunderous "standing O's" over any score. If one works hard, is dedicated, and focuses on doing the very best possible as individuals and a performing ensemble........good things tend to happen on their own.

Edited by bill

If all this "hometown" reaction to the Scouts is true; that's rather unfortunate. I was at the Scouts home show in '07, and was witness to the same thing. There are things about my corps that I'm not pleased with; but don't leave until done is done. Those members work too hard to be walked out on.

Just wanted to throw some caution in the wind as to why people may have been "rushing" out of the stadium ASAP after the show completed. Many of the local crowd may have been trying to make the 20-30 minute drive to the other side of town to see "Rhythm & Booms", the largest Independence Day Celebration fireworks display in the Midwest. The fireworks show was originally scheduled for Saturday night, but was postponed until Sunday night due to the threat of severe weather in the area on Saturday. Rhythm & Booms typically draws a crowd of 300,000 plus people, so it's quite conceivable that a few people who were planning to attend the fireworks show on Saturday and the drum corps show on Sunday were left trying to fit both into one evening to keep everyone in the family happy.

I won't question those numbers. Blue Stars over Phantom in GEV = Very telling.

I can also guarantee that when the brass judge shows up, Spirit is going to start floundering because their horns don't play as much as the other two corps around them do. Colts and Scouts play for the whole show. Spirit doesn't.

WOW! The WHOLE show? That is AMAZING and the first time ever in drum corps history!

That's news to me. Yes, we did have two performances this evening with the marching band show as a exhibition but not the Madison show last we heard; as told we were to be on DCA sheets.

Either way, The Kilties love to perform, and if the fans liked it......that's all good stuff; they pay for the tickets.

The fans were GREAT at both events this evening, and the corps had a GREAT time performing for them.

Personally, I'll take 4 to 5 spontaneous thunderous "standing O's" over any score. If one works hard, is dedicated, and focuses on doing the very best possible as individuals and a performing ensemble........good things tend to happen on their own.

Standing O's are great but does that translate in top 10 DCA status?

IMHO

Kate

I won! I bet my friend before the show that Lee Carlson would have Blue Stars above PR in GE Viz regardless! He is so predictable and did his best to keep Phantom from the trophy last season. Thank goodness he couldn't give higher than a 20 at finals... :blink:

Poor Lee, so predictable and biased, but at least that's good news for Blue Stars! Congrats!

Have you seen both shows live? This isn't the first time this season Blue Stars have beat PR in one of the GE vis sub captions, and they've been barely behind them at the shows they haven't beat them. Blue Stars vis program is rock solid, if they're beating regiment in this caption they likely deserve it regardless of who the judge is. That's my best guess anyway having only seen Blue Stars live at this point. I'll se both tomorrow in Dubuque, will write up a review of that show.

Have you seen both shows live? This isn't the first time this season Blue Stars have beat PR in one of the GE vis sub captions, and they've been barely behind them at the shows they haven't beat them. Blue Stars vis program is rock solid, if they're beating regiment in this caption they likely deserve it regardless of who the judge is. That's my best guess anyway having only seen Blue Stars live at this point. I'll se both tomorrow in Dubuque, will write up a review of that show.

Agreed. From my observation, Phantom's visual program is great but Blue Star's is outstanding.

I've seen both. The judge is correct, IMHO.

Sorry. We left before the scores and they didn't post a score on DCI.com

Yes - I would take standing O's over scores any day! Loved your show!