Madison Contest Tonight Question

I can remember there was a woman with a Spirit corps jacket who had marched plates from '77-80. I wish I had thought to ask her about what she thought of what her corps was doing this year.

• Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a question regarding the fact that they do not do full retreats anymore...which I would have loved when I marched!

But...I noticed that a lot of the kids were over near the school/buses when they were announcing the scores. Do the kids not listen for the scores? Do they find out later from staff?

That was probably the only good part of retreats.

Hated the mosquitoes!

Blue Star

Great opening

Loud and strong

Great flag work

35 6ft tables with sewing machines covers a third of the field

Nice drums sound and footwork

Good formations around tables

Great sound during taps section

Who needs an ampped base? 10 contra tubas are fine with me

Love the star flags again

Pit is very happy bunch

Needs cleaner lines

A better ending

But all on all great program

I can't speak for all of those who started throwing around the "hater" moniker, but this is the post that irritated me a bit. I didn't mind at all when you posted your instant critique of Spirit's show and it wasn't particularly glowing. That's fine. You don't like the bass guitar. You're allowed your opinion, so your criticism didn't bother me. But you made your point perfectly clear after Spirit's show. To come back with an underhanded slam against Spirit again in your Blue Stars critique was a little heavy-handed and really unnecessary. You don't like Spirit. That's fine. We get it.

I don't like white wine; I prefer red wine. But every time I enjoy a glass of merlot or syrah, I don't tell everyone else at the table how much better it is than white wine.

All I'm saying is, different strokes for different folks. And seriously, thanks for taking the time to give us your opinions on all the shows last night. When you're 800 miles away, it makes it feel a little like being there.

Edited by oldsoprano

I can remember there was a woman with a Spirit corps jacket who had marched plates from '77-80. I wish I had thought to ask her about what she thought of what her corps was doing this year.

You ask that question like you are expecting that she would have been embarrassed or upset by "what her corps was doing this year."

I know the cymbal player you're talking about, and I'll try to find out from her what she thought and let you know.

I marched Spirit 77-79, and I'll be glad to tell you what I think of what my corps is doing this year. I like it. A lot. In fact, I can honestly say I LOVE what Spirit is doing this year, and I think you'd be surprised at how many of the "old school" alums feel the same way.

Most of us are VERY proud of how the staff has taken advantage of the rules changes (which were not introduced or pushed by Spirit, mind you), and how we are for once on the front edge of changes that, like it or not, appear to be coming, instead of two or three years behind everyone and playing catch up.

And we're all tickled pink by how much the members of this year's corps are ENJOYING performing the show. I haven't seen that kind of enjoyment and excitement from them in many, many years.

Yes, you are allowed not to like Spirit because of their use of the newly-allowed instrumentation. By the same token, we ARE allowed to like Spirit for the same reason. And a lot of us do.

Edited by oldsoprano

I had a question regarding the fact that they do not do full retreats anymore...which I would have loved when I marched!

But...I noticed that a lot of the kids were over near the school/buses when they were announcing the scores. Do the kids not listen for the scores? Do they find out later from staff?

That was probably the only good part of retreats.

Hated the mosquitoes!

This is purely perception on my part, but I have the sense that corps and marching members are focused on incrementally improving their shows and are thus in a sense competing against themselves. I see marching members less upset about scores and placements than in the old days, generally speaking. A lot of drama went by the way when retreats were eliiminated, I believe. On the plus side, it seems that there is more inter-corps comraderie these days. These are just my observations, not based on any hands-on experience. If others believe I am off the mark, please do point it out.

Kilties perform at MACBDA shows and get the total rock star treatment. Multiple mid-show ovations. Those people LOVE The Kilties. And that seems to be the place to recruit high school kids, as Kilties' average age continues to plummet. They also see something pretty cool they could be a part of that is WEEKEND ONLY and does not cost them their summer job and life savings.

Madison performed at the "Madisonic" MACBDA band show in Whitewater the other night. I'm sure the fans went insane for them. A whole different level of appreciation at those shows. Far more "fun" than DCI shows, IMHO.

"That's news to me. Yes, we did have two performances this evening with the marching band show as a exhibition but not the Madison show last we heard; as told we were to be on DCA sheets.

Either way, The Kilties love to perform, and if the fans liked it......that's all good stuff; they pay for the tickets.

The fans were GREAT at both events this evening, and the corps had a GREAT time performing for them.

Personally, I'll take 4 to 5 spontaneous thunderous "standing O's" over any score. If one works hard, is dedicated, and focuses on doing the very best possible as individuals and a performing ensemble........good things tend to happen on their own."

The quote above was from Bill Roetzer,Racine Kilties. I was just using his post for the Kilties DCA status.

You ask that question like you are expecting that she would have been embarrassed or upset by "what her corps was doing this year."

I know the cymbal player you're talking about, and I'll try to find out from her what she thought and let you know.

I marched Spirit 77-79, and I'll be glad to tell you what I think of what my corps is doing this year. I like it. A lot. In fact, I can honestly say I LOVE what Spirit is doing this year, and I think you'd be surprised at how many of the "old school" alums feel the same way.

Most of us are VERY proud of how the staff has taken advantage of the rules changes (which were not introduced or pushed by Spirit, mind you), and how we are for once on the front edge of changes that, like it or not, appear to be coming, instead of two or three years behind everyone and playing catch up.

And we're all tickled pink by how much the members of this year's corps are ENJOYING performing the show. I haven't seen that kind of enjoyment and excitement from them in many, many years.

Yes, you are allowed not to like Spirit because of their use of the newly-allowed instrumentation. By the same token, we ARE allowed to like Spirit for the same reason. And a lot of us do.

With respect, I wouldn't doubt that any of this is true, but the fact is that many people are very unhappy about what your staff has given these corps members. That is the reality.

"That's news to me. Yes, we did have two performances this evening with the marching band show as a exhibition but not the Madison show last we heard; as told we were to be on DCA sheets.

Either way, The Kilties love to perform, and if the fans liked it......that's all good stuff; they pay for the tickets.

The fans were GREAT at both events this evening, and the corps had a GREAT time performing for them.

Personally, I'll take 4 to 5 spontaneous thunderous "standing O's" over any score. If one works hard, is dedicated, and focuses on doing the very best possible as individuals and a performing ensemble........good things tend to happen on their own."

The quote above was from Bill Roetzer,Racine Kilties. I was just using his post for the Kilties DCA status.

I don't know what point you may be seeking to make, but as I mentioned, personally, if one works hard, is dedicated and focuses on doing the very best possible, etc...good things tend to happen on their own. That's just a formula for living life.

It was a mellow, respectful, sophisticated crowd and not the rabid sort. I told others after leaving the show that this was a show that Madison's fans and alumni would be happy with, and I believe they were. From where I sat near the top of the 50 yard line, all the way across the seating there appeared to be a lot of appreciation for and positive reaction to the power and excitment of Madison's show, in both their field performance and their encore. The comments above aren't necessarily inaccurate, but it should not be assumed that the crowd did not like Madison just because they weren't going nuts for the entire time. And as someone else pointed out, there was another major event across town that was postponed from Saturday night to Sunday night, and so a lot of people were probably on the move to get there. It was certainly too beautiful of an evening to scatter otherwise, and we know that drum corps crowds don't do that, least of all from such a pleasant setting.

I've been in the audience for numerous victory concerts given by the Madison Scouts. Quite often the audience seems subdued because they are listening to the music so intently. I know I was;) I'm sure this was the case at DOP.

I can't speak for all of those who started throwing around the "hater" moniker, but this is the post that irritated me a bit. I didn't mind at all when you posted your instant critique of Spirit's show and it wasn't particularly glowing. That's fine. You don't like the bass guitar. You're allowed your opinion, so your criticism didn't bother me. But you made your point perfectly clear after Spirit's show. To come back with an underhanded slam against Spirit again in your Blue Stars critique was a little heavy-handed and really unnecessary. You don't like Spirit. That's fine. We get it.

I don't like white wine; I prefer red wine. But every time I enjoy a glass of merlot or syrah, I don't tell everyone else at the table how much better it is than white wine.

All I'm saying is, different strokes for different folks. And seriously, thanks for taking the time to give us your opinions on all the shows last night. When you're 800 miles away, it makes it feel a little like being there.

Ya but if you had a glass of red wine that you didn't enjoy and then a glass of red wine that you enjoyed, you'd most likely comment to the others about why you didn't enjoy the first glass and then comment again after the second glass to say why the second glass was better than the first.

Perspective my man...perspective.