Favorite 3 consecutive years of DCI

This is a really hard choice. I have to say '89 '90 '91 is the best 3 year period for DCI. There were such great shows from top to bottom. '90 stands out for me because the top 15 or 16 corps were so good and so competitive in their scoring groups ( 1st-5th 10th-15th).

The second best grouping would have to be '88 '89'90. '88 had such great shows. Maybe we should have one of these polls for a 5 year period?

'00 '01 '02 were great years too.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Marching: '73, '74 ,'75

Watching: '87, '88, '89

Great forum topic here!

I saw my first show in '84 and went to first finals in '86, so obviously those early years had the most effect on me.

I'll have to add my vote for '87-'89.

Great battles at the top all 3 years and nearly every corps in the top 12 was enjoyable both to hear and see.

No doubt for me and I agree with kstein...............

1978-80

Runners up

1988-90, 1990-92

1999-2001

Cheers, :ph34r:

Sean

:unhappy:

87-89: So many great shows, so many babies gone airborne

runner up:

84-86: Killer BD horn and drum lines, Garfield raises the benchmark of modern drum corps (at least in 84 and 85), SCV changes pants mid-show, plays the heck out of Copland and the Russians; rise of the Cavies and some great drill from Brubaker

I guess you can count me in as another of those 80s diehards ... 8)

When I started this topic, I listed 88-90 as my honorable mention. There seems to be a prevailing few years, anywhere from 87 through 93. Those are certainly the most musical years (and I am using the VERY SCIENTIFIC, indisputible, quantifiable measure of "number of times played" on my iPOD).

I quote Homer Simpson:

"This new music sucks. Everybody knows rock achieved perfection in 1974."

When I started this topic, I listed 88-90 as my honorable mention. There seems to be a prevailing few years, anywhere from 87 through 93. Those are certainly the most musical years (and I am using the VERY SCIENTIFIC, indisputible, quantifiable measure of "number of times played" on my iPOD).

I quote Homer Simpson:

"This new music sucks. Everybody knows rock achieved perfection in 1974."

If that is the case, 2003 wins for me playing Phantom Regiment 93 times in the last 9 months! I agree though, for me, 88-90 was the shiznit and throw a couple extra years on there, and it was REALLY the shiznit...

As a spectator, '83 - '85...so much going on those years, in addition to Garfield's three-peat.

As far as 3 top years I marched....I'd say '87 - '89. In many ways '89 was my favorite year.

Peace,

CuriousMe

1987 - 1989

or

1988 - 1990

I can't decide. There are shows in 87 that can't be forgotten and likewise for 90.

Get out of my brain!!!!!!!

For me these were transitional years that had flashes of greatness in EVERY corps. Everyone was still exploring the new wonders of the NON TICK SYSTEM. Being creative, not knowing exactly what marching technique was the right one to use for the new demands, all while still maintaining a HUGE individual corps identity and tradition.

So much variety, so many great writers and a ton of in your face down and dirty drumcorps. This will always be the Golden Age of drum corps for me. Not just because that's when I marched ...... I assure you. The music was still written as if the corps would be marking time for half the show or doing a concert piece. Full of melody, deep orchestration and superb voicing in the writing. The drill was all very unique from corps to corps and extremely demanding for it's time when combined with the musical offerings.

Guard is a totally different beast now but I think hands down, nothing can touch this era for the music-visual combination. There also seemed to be a ton more passion in the performances. Execution was always important but there was so much fire in every show. I can hardly think of a corps in those years who didn't get standing O's because the crowd couldn't help themselves ........ and trust me DCI fan's weren't as polite as they are now. It was a great time to march and a great time to go to the shows as a fan. I don't think we'll ever see anything like it again.