What were the best kept secrets in drum corps history?

• Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Vanguard practicing in secret and then performing the 'Bottle Dance' in 1982 for the first time that season at Finals.

There were a few more 'Finals Only' surprises in the DCI vault - but that was certainly memorable.

Mav

And on that note the "Crosses" closer from Star of Indiana - nobody saw that coming!

Puppet

Members marching beyond their ageout

And on that note the "Crosses" closer from Star of Indiana - nobody saw that coming!

Puppet

That wasn't finals only, tho....it made it's debut at a show in Bloomington (you can find it on YouTube if you lool...the crowd response was insane)

We had one age-out in 75' and knew of two other corps that did too, so nobody could point a finger without incriminating themselves. Then the Muchachos got whacked at DCI's that year and everybody got really nervous. That pretty much put an end to it. The Bridgemen got nailed in 77' but the way we heard it, it was more of a rules interpretation thing. Their biggest secret was their unvailing of the long yellow coats in 76'. Nobody saw it coming. How they pulled it off I'll never know.

SCV "Disappearing" under the parachute in '88. We followed them around most of the Summer on tour and did NOT see this coming until they did it at Semi-finals. Took my breath away I'll tell ya. For a split second I thought they had actually sunk into the ground by way of a trap door... Hey, give me a break, I AM a child of the 70s after all :biggrin:

Dennis Delucia dyes his hair.

Not true. There is, however, a portrait of DeLucia in an attic somewhere that looks very, very old.

Not true. There is, however, a portrait of DeLucia in an attic somewhere that looks very, very old.

Now Thats funny

These may not be the best kept secrets in DRUM CORPS... but two very well kept secrets in corps I was in (two different ones) were:

- Who painted the side of a cow (yes, a real live cow...) with field striping paint once on a free night. And how ironic that the corps saw the cow just standing there the next morning all painted up as if nothing had happened as we pulled out of town...

- Who painted the face of a black lawn ornament jockey white, again on a free night (just a different corps than the one from above) ? :biggrin:

- Another one is who was the person who shot the big rocket off in Birmingham, AL at DCI in 1979 from Northstar, that left a huge black mark on the field (along with their age out shoes) where they were standing? (not condoning in any way the damage done, I just don't think the kid was thinking that far ahead when he did it...) (kids will be kids after all)...

These are the burning questions the masses want answers to...

:sad:

Here's a secret I'd like to know...why in the 90's could Madison play high faster louder every year, but have their scores decrease? that's the best kept secret in drum corps...