MBI Going EAST

Oh yes!! :thumbup: Sure, it's FUN to win of course. And MBI does want to compete fairly with the other corps. If MBI wins, fine. If MBI takes 2nd, fine. If MBI takes 6th, well, that's fine too. Although it would hurt! :thumbup:

No, really, my previous post was merely to suggest that any placement is fleeting. What truly counts is how well we perform based upon our own standards. After 30 years, MBI is here to stay. Whether they win a DCA title or not. I think I can speak for a large contingent of the corps when I say that it is truly an honor that MBI is counted among the better DCA corps. DCA is the standard for All-Age drum corps. MBI is very proud to be part of that tradition.

Very well put,Ron.

Kate

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yogi Berra could not have put it better himself.

Kate

Actually, I'm pretty sure that if Yogi could read some of my postings he would probably roll over in his grave (he IS dead, right?). But if Yogi were marching (and alive), I'm sure he would want to kick some a** in Rochester!!

Actually, I'm pretty sure that if Yogi could read some of my postings he would probably roll over in his grave (he IS dead, right?). But if Yogi were marching (and alive), I'm sure he would want to kick some a** in Rochester!!

Yogi is very much alive and btw, while having a DCA championship is the ultimate goal, in a lot of ways it has very little to do with beating another corps. To me it has more to do with the performance bar being set very high and reaching that height by finals night.

Edited by Fastone

I can back up Mike Palmquist's post. MBI has never made it a goal to "beat anyone." Because that's a decision that is out of their hands. That was the philosophy of the Corps Directors before me and the Corps Directors since.

The only thing that MBI - or any corps for that matter - can control is their own excellence. And, in the immortal words of former MBI director Scotty Wild, "Excellence is a Journey, not a Destination."

No organization can continue to exist in health if it's based upon the defeat of another. Because the defeated will easily be replaced by An Other to take its place. All anyone can do is to become a part of and contribute to the best possible organization that they can collectively be, and enjoy the ride that goes along with it. One day, you might "win" and another day you might "lose." But the beauty of the game is that you will have fun in the play. And that's the only inherent value. Titles come. Titles go. And maybe titles will never come your way at all. It doesn't matter. Excellence in the way you do things is the only goal you can be personally proud about.

Okay, sorry. I was waxing poetic there for a minute!!! :)

No,you were waxing WISE!

The only thing that MBI - or any corps for that matter - can control is their own excellence. And, in the immortal words of former MBI director Scotty Wild, "Excellence is a Journey, not a Destination."

No organization can continue to exist in health if it's based upon the defeat of another. Because the defeated will easily be replaced by An Other to take its place. All anyone can do is to become a part of and contribute to the best possible organization that they can collectively be, and enjoy the ride that goes along with it. One day, you might "win" and another day you might "lose." But the beauty of the game is that you will have fun in the play. And that's the only inherent value. Titles come. Titles go. And maybe titles will never come your way at all. It doesn't matter. Excellence in the way you do things is the only goal you can be personally proud about.

Amen!!!!!! "excellence is a Journey...."

Edited by Loiswt

For MBI it has never been about trying to beat someone. They have always been about putting the best possible product on the field.

Mike

I have no doubt that this is true. But, this IS a competitive activity. And I'm guessing that most corps', and their members want to maximize their placement... and those with a shot at it, want to win. To do that, you have make competitive decisions about many things, including the schedule.

This move is another piece of evidence that MBI is serious about winning... and I LOVE it! However it comes out, it'll be a treat for Eastern fans!

i don't see what the big deal here is. MBI is voting member of DCA and happened to come in 2nd place at finals. they have a right with out any questions as to why they will come east and compete in any show that they have been invited to. what is all of this? and guess what it's a competition so if they say there coming to try and win at scanton or to improve their chances at DCA how can anyone blame them? man just leave it alone and be thankful they are coming AND trying to win.

Edited by donincardona

[quote name='Morphy00' post='2573490' date='Jul 8 2009, 10:01 AM']Contrary to what some others may say, a lot of my friends and I plan on winning in Scranton AND Rochester. :tongue:[/quote]

Well put man, well put!!! I guess we find out in 24 days!!! All I know is I'm stoaked for this show!!! :tongue: