crowns body movement

And honestly, a lot of symphonies have meaning, including Beethovan's 5th.

Yes, they do... but they don't have to. Music can stand on its own. I think drum corps should as well. Also, see Hrothgar's post above.

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Saw Crown at Chambersburg, PA and didn't even know what the show was titled at that point. Had no idea what was going on and I hated the show. Now, it's the show that I watch over and over on the Fan Network.

yes i will agree thats why i started this thread. I just watch it over and over, reminds me a little bit like star 93,just slight. I hope so much for them but i think cadets will over take at some time. They are for real thats for sure!

i can say one word about the body movement...."ehh"

it doesn't bother me, and it doesn't ruin the show either. it's just kinda there. i can see the point of it with the storyline of a person leaving home but........ehh

First post, be gentle -

Personally: big fan of virtually everything Crown's done since 2003. Not absolutely everything, but almost...

What I don't understand is why people on these forums keep referring to their shows as "easy". And yes, this will quickly devolve into a Cadets Crown tirade right about...now: Certainly, they play fewer runs (SOME YEARS) than Cadets...they choose to dance or do other body movement rather than march at breakneck speeds (often questionably in terms of execution)...But what they're doing is NOT easy...I have to say that I can't do what they do...I couldn't on my best day, and I'd bet that's true of many of the people who bag on Crown for doing it, whether it's doing yoga/pilates/ballet/jazz dance whilst playing with incredible control, or just simply playing a beautifully written book at the highest quality!

Their visual program is generally above reproach, though ALL programs have weaknesses throughout their growth each season.

Their brass...simply, they do what only Phantom once did...they bring a balanced concert sound at...wait for it...multiple dynamic levels...including blisteringly loud!

Their percussion, while for a while was the weakest link is now beginning to perform in the manner many observers always wanted to see from Mr. Beddis and crew...they just never had a chance to develop with a corps long enough to make their vision come to fruition. This is only the beginning for this percussion section, if there is consistency of staff for the next few years.

I don't know if you guys frequent all of these forums (my guess is that you do). SCV 89 is considered amongst the greatest shows on many threads and by many people on DCP. Put simply, that show wasn't the hardest show ever...not even close...not even that year. Wonder if people were sitting around writing letters to each other about how "boring" that "easy" second-year PotO rehash was. Doubt it. Probably a grumble here and there from people that SCV was beating...

And someone here referred to the Crown show as gimmicky...worked for Sky Ryders, worked for Star, worked for VK (in their own way), worked for the Cadets in 2005...didn't in 2006. Crown knows the limits of the gimmicks. They never seem to push beyond good taste, and let's face it, they could have with the horsey show. They also know how to play a show that both the audiences AND the judges dig. That's a LOST ART that Crown has helped to relocate. More of the shows are listenable this year than in many recent years, and the revolution was led by Crown in 2004-2005. Interesting how many said that electronics would be the end of what we knew as the activity, and since the addition of microphones shows have become progressively more entertaining and muscially interesting. At least in my opinion, and many around me, and many on DCP forums.

I guess, though, that I've answered my own question: people always try to tear down those who do something new, especially if it's done very well. Just ask Einstein, Wagner, Edison, Bell, Dyson...wait, only Dyson is alive. So ask him and read about the others. Tell a person he or she can't do something, and you can bet they will.

Crown can't win. There, I've said it. Maybe they will now...then people will go on for years talking about how they shouldn't have because it was an anniversary year for HNC, or it was finally back to roots for BD, or whatever. Or maybe they'll get tossed about like a ship at sea like their cousins at Star '93. The "harder" show won that year, too. Cool thing is, I know a couple of those Star guys, and they've never mentioned how disappointed they were...they noticed, I'm sure of it, and I'm sure they were beat up inside...then they laughed all the way to the bank.

Great, now you've stopped reading and I've proved my teachers right: keep it short and you'll take 'em in.

Thanks for reading...

Edited by RnBeans

First post, be gentle -

Personally: big fan of virtually everything Crown's done since 2003. Not absolutely everything, but almost...

What I don't understand is why people on these forums keep referring to their shows as "easy". And yes, this will quickly devolve into a Cadets Crown tirade right about...now: Certainly, they play fewer runs (SOME YEARS) than Cadets...they choose to dance or do other body movement rather than march at breakneck speeds (often questionably in terms of execution)...But what they're doing is NOT easy...I have to say that I can't do what they do...I couldn't on my best day, and I'd bet that's true of many of the people who bag on Crown for doing it, whether it's doing yoga/pilates/ballet/jazz dance whilst playing with incredible control, or just simply playing a beautifully written book at the highest quality!

Their visual program is generally above reproach, though ALL programs have weaknesses throughout their growth each season.

Their brass...simply, they do what only Phantom once did...they bring a balanced concert sound at...wait for it...multiple dynamic levels...including blisteringly loud!

Their percussion, while for a while was the weakest link is now beginning to perform in the manner many observers always wanted to see from Mr. Beddis and crew...they just never had a chance to develop with a corps long enough to make their vision come to fruition. This is only the beginning for this percussion section, if there is consistency of staff for the next few years.

I don't know if you guys frequent all of these forums (my guess is that you do). SCV 89 is considered amongst the greatest shows on many threads and by many people on DCP. Put simply, that show wasn't the hardest show ever...not even close...not even that year. Wonder if people were sitting around writing letters to each other about how "boring" that "easy" second-year PotO rehash was. Doubt it. Probably a grumble here and there from people that SCV was beating...

And someone here referred to the Crown show as gimmicky...worked for Sky Ryders, worked for Star, worked for VK (in their own way), worked for the Cadets in 2005...didn't in 2006. Crown knows the limits of the gimmicks. They never seem to push beyond good taste, and let's face it, they could have with the horsey show. They also know how to play a show that both the audiences AND the judges dig. That's a LOST ART that Crown has helped to relocate. More of the shows are listenable this year than in many recent years, and the revolution was led by Crown in 2004-2005. Interesting how many said that electronics would be the end of what we knew as the activity, and since the addition of microphones shows have become progressively more entertaining and muscially interesting. At least in my opinion, and many around me, and many on DCP forums.

I guess, though, that I've answered my own question: people always try to tear down those who do something new, especially if it's done very well. Just ask Einstein, Wagner, Edison, Bell, Dyson...wait, only Dyson is alive. So ask him and read about the others. Tell a person he or she can't do something, and you can bet they will.

Crown can't win. There, I've said it. Maybe they will now...then people will go on for years talking about how they shouldn't have because it was an anniversary year for HNC, or it was finally back to roots for BD, or whatever. Or maybe they'll get tossed about like a ship at sea like their cousins at Star '93. The "harder" show won that year, too. Cool thing is, I know a couple of those Star guys, and they've never mentioned how disappointed they were...they noticed, I'm sure of it, and I'm sure they were beat up inside...then they laughed all the way to the bank.

Great, now you've stopped reading and I've proved my teachers right: keep it short and you'll take 'em in.

Thanks for reading...

Outstanding 1st post. I agree with pretty much everythin you said.

As for "gimmicks".... Isn't Drum and Bugle Corps really just one big gimmick? :thumbup: