Spirit's Scores going down?

No, I think maybe what people are saying is that a Hard show is harder to pull off than an easier one. And Colts and Scouts shows have more difficulty in them.

Please explain the elements that Colts and Scouts do that are more difficult.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha.....what you highligted was already explained in "for the most part". That quote should take care of the one jab about those colorguard unis.

At that Milwaukee show Spirit placed where they did because of GE and the percussion, so why did those scores change with the addition of a brass and colorguard judge? You know that Madison's and Spirit's guards both have some work to do, and Madison's brass beat Spirit by a point--well, what happen to the other captions ie...percussion and ge?

It's a coincidence that Spirit's score went down below Madison's--its not that they were not better at that South Milwaukee show.

You seem the same to me... :thumbup:

Again, you're missing my point. I couldn't care less that Spirit bested the Scouts in Milwaukee. My point was why bump those 3 corps 3 and 4 points or so if they're just gonna drop it again when they are in competition with top 6 corps? Rarely will a corps hang onto a jump that large and I believe Spirit is off like 2 points or something since then? That was my point...Scouts and Colts included. Scoring anomalies like the one in Milwaukee lead to threads like these.

I got your point that time around good job.

Eh, i'm often misunderstood...but that's my fault more than anyone else's. :thumbup:

1. Color guard isn't performing well.

2. I feel there is limited potential from a design standpoint.

3.The simplicity in all areas has maxed out its possible potential.

This happened to Colts in 2008 and Bluecoats 2008.... When potential in show design is met.. scores don't move... Academy 07 as well.... shot up and stayed at the same numbers..

Bluecoats 2007..

July 21 89.075

July 22 90.050

July 25 90.600

July 26 91.800

July 28 89.750

July 30 90.650

July 31 92.100

August 4 92.075

August 5 93.475

August 9 93.700

August 10 93.750

Edited by Cop

As far as the voices in the beginning..."cue lighting"..."cue sound".....

Spirit is trying to convey what goes on in the earphones from the Lighting Engineer and Sound Director before a concert starts. The concert crowd doesn't hear that, but the DCI crowd needs to hear it because that actually does happen at a concert.

Someone made the point of the contra not looking cool when using his contra as a guitar........haven't seen it, but maybe if they could just look like John Petrucci from Dream Theater and stand there with one leg propped up on something...

Edited by jsualumnus

I think the main thing to ask is ......are the kids having fun? They are!!! So who cares about the scores?

Could Spirit have down things different with the show to sell it more? Yes.....but the design team decided to go in the show's current direction. Spirit seems like a young corps too, so maybe that has something to do with the design.

Would I like to see them play more? Hell yea!!! Cause when they do play it's pretty darn good.

We as fans have to remember this is a youth activity. Just enjoy the show!!!

While I have been an opponent of the electronic issue, this picture only shows a member doing something VERY WELL. I am surpirised that a Scout would put this picture with no folow up. How about you put a picture of the power ranger colorguard of your said corps. Look at my signature. I have not been thrilled by this show but it isn't the bass players fault. The microphone intro gets really long and reminds me of history, yowza yowza yowza....This show has plenty of great moments but it is a fairly watered don show relying heavily on the percussion. Its early and its anybodies game for those last two spots in finals. I think ten are pretty secure.

Wow. Dude. Chill. Dan only posted a photo -- with no comment at all. And you flip off. Reeelaaaax.

In fairness, and my sadness, the Scouts ALSO were pumping up the base, with a less-skilled finger-on-the-synth.

I don't want either, but at least the Spirit version was using real STRINGS and, according to my encyclopedia of music, would qualify as a percussion instrument.

The Scouts' version was pure electronic. Booooooo!

History has come to repeat itself with the "Kansas Kurse."

Kansas Kurse = Northern Aurora '93 (although I don't foresee Spirit dropping from Div I to Div II like NA did because of thier programming choices)

I don't understand. NA placed 24th in 1993, playing Kansas. They also placed 24th in 1992 playing music of Keith Emerson/ELP. So how is that a curse?