Spirit's Scores going down?

I hope the judging community will always do the right thing and judge a show accurately without bias. Spirit is my corps, so it may be easier for me to *see* that their lower score may be a judging thing--but, Spirit just needs to not leave room for doubt. ROCK OUT SPIRIT!!!! Spirit's show definitely is not a cookie cutter design and at their level, that very well could be the problem. Other corps' shows have different names, but really their designs are very similar--the pacing is especially. I have not watched a show live this year, but on the fan network I see that Spirit's show is a big red apple among oranges.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope the judging community will always do the right thing and judge a show accurately without bias. Spirit is my corps, so it may be easier for me to *see* that their lower score may be a judging thing--but, Spirit just needs to not leave room for doubt. ROCK OUT SPIRIT!!!! Spirit's show definitely is not a cookie cutter design and at their level, that very well could be the problem. Other corps' shows have different names, but really their designs are very similar--the pacing is especially. I have not watched a show live this year, but on the fan network I see that Spirit's show is a big red apple among oranges.

I don' t know... I think some other Corps is doing the" big red apple "thing. ( haha,... just kiddin' ya )

Well it could be that, or it could be the fact that from a design standpoint Spirit's show leaves a LOT to be desired. Also, from the recaps they just don't seem to be progressing in execution while everyone else is. This is my interpretation of what the judging community is saying through scores, not necessarily my opinion of their show, maybe. Kind of.

Oh, I'm not. There was a time when I would have been surprised, because I have always held that organization in highest esteem.

While I know that the actions of an individual certainly shouldn't reflect an organization overall, I've seen enough things this season by several individuals who are former members of that organization to taint that high esteem just a little.

Don't get me wrong; I still have a LOT of respect for the Scouts organization, just not quite as much as before.

And to answer Hockey Dad, no, I think 84skyrydr is reading into that picture EXACTLY what was meant by the person who posted it.

Hyper-sensitivity makes for dull discussions. If somebody doesn't like that Spirit uses electric guitars, so be it. Why don't you explain why their use is awesome for you, instead of wanting to be an offended victim?

Of course they need more tubas.

The staff is well aware of that, and believe me, they tried VERY hard to recruit more tubas during the winter and spring, and all the way up until very recently.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that recruiting is more difficult when you fall out of the top 12, particularly in these tough economic times when the pool of young people who have the talent, have the desire and can afford to march - and afford not to work during the summer - is significantly smaller.

yeah, i know what you mean... recruiting's a #####.

When theyre using the electronics to make up for the missing tuba sound, it got to me a little bit. It did seem like a cop out, recruiting issues or not. Other times, it seemed like they were focusing so much on the electronics, the brassline just didnt play enough. When they did, it was great.

Hyper-sensitivity makes for dull discussions. If somebody doesn't like that Spirit uses electric guitars, so be it. Why don't you explain why their use is awesome for you, instead of wanting to be an offended victim?

What does Spirit using electric guitars have to do with the actual thread topic?

It's just a stupid derail.

What does Spirit using electric guitars have to do with the actual thread topic?

It's just a stupid derail.

their effective use of said electric guitars and how it affects the big picture may have a role?

their effective use of said electric guitars and how it affects the big picture may have a role?

If that is what Scerpella was trying to say he probably should have said it instead of just trolling with a pic and no explanation.

He wasn't trying to make a cogent point, he was making a statement about his opinion of electronics in drum corps to derail the thread from actual discussion.

I don't think that Spirit's extreme volatility in scores since 2006 has anything at all to do with this year's use of equipment in the show.

I personally think that Spirit's unusual and unique volatility in scores since 2006 is more of a function of judges having a much wider difference of opinion on this Corps performances in the early season. I know some people think that the position one draws in competition is more important than the level of performance. I'm not in that camp. There are other Corps that compete in other regions of the country ( ie the West ) in the similar order of performance position Spirit is in, and their scores do not fluctuate up and down by such wide extremes like this in June and early July.

Edited by BRASSO

id say that the lower a corps places, the more likely you are to see volatility in scores