Spirit's Scores going down?

I haven't seen the show, but I've heard a lot of opinionated reviews. I'd love to blame DCI and the whole agenda thing, but that would be childish (not saying the agenda thing has never happened). I tend to believe that the shows are just getting very competitive and they are getting cleaner earlier than others.

I didn't post this topic for someone to get on here and slam Spirit, and I really don't want to hear a rant about the electronics. I just would like to read an educated guess as to why their scores are dropping here recently.

Thanks...

I think it is fair to say that few ( if any ) Corps have had their scores go up and down from competition to competition in the early season the last 4 years than Spirit.

Unlike most Corps, it seems there is little uniformity of opinion among the judging community regarding this Corps in the early going each summer.

Their scores in June and early July have extreme volatility.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

While I have been an opponent of the electronic issue, this picture only shows a member doing something VERY WELL. I am surpirised that a Scout would put this picture with no folow up. How about you put a picture of the power ranger colorguard of your said corps. Look at my signature. I have not been thrilled by this show but it isn't the bass players fault. The microphone intro gets really long and reminds me of history, yowza yowza yowza....This show has plenty of great moments but it is a fairly watered don show relying heavily on the percussion. Its early and its anybodies game for those last two spots in finals. I think ten are pretty secure.

You read a lot into that. It is what it is. A picture is a picture.

I have seen Sprirt twice. There are moments of power from the brass, but like others have said.....fewer than others close to them (Scouts, Colts). The guard is not real noticeable, kind of reminded me of Blue Stars guard two years ago. Aside - it's amazing how BS turned their guard weakness into their strength in such a short time. And as to the great debate a couple weeks ago of whether the electric guitar is doubling up the contra line - yes it is, in places. It's legal. Not saying I like it or don't like it. Again, it is what it is. Their contra line of 7 is small. Their show does seem to have less growth potential than Colts or Scouts, and maybe that's hurting. For example, after Malaga, the Scouts show is full of potential for growth (i.e., after their opener, it's a lot of dirt.... IMO).

Since 2006, Spirit has seen their scores go down by over 4 points within 24 hours, and have had their scores go up by over 6 points ( then usually down again )

Corps at the top rarely if ever have a swing in scores of more than a few tenths, and never more than 3 points up or down in June to mid July.

If we were to put this on a graph, most Corps scores show a pretty solid upward movement for the most part in June and early July most years.

Spirit's early season scores most years now look like an amusement park roller coaster ride map.

Edited by BRASSO

Since 2006, Spirit has seen their scores go down by over 4 points within 24 hours, and have had their scores go up by over 6 points ( then usually down again )

Corps at the top rarely if ever have a swing in scores of more than a few tenths, and never more than 3 points up or down in June to mid July.

If we were to put this on a graph, most Corps scores show a pretty solid upward movement for the most part in June and early July most years.

Spirit's early season scores most years now look like an amusement park roller coaster ride map.

its a chicken and egg thing. some blame the judges. Success comes from consistency. Ive not seen spirit more than once, but is it possible theyre just not a very consistent corps? Inconsistency, especially in the early season there the difference between an on and an off show can be even greater, could create the kind of swings you all seem to be talking about.

As far as my opinion on the show, they do some interesting things with the new instrumentation. However, honestly, it seems like they add this stuff at the expense of the brassline. Their brass needs more notes, and more tubas.

I am surprised that a Scout would put this picture with no follow up.

Oh, I'm not. There was a time when I would have been surprised, because I have always held that organization in highest esteem.

While I know that the actions of an individual certainly shouldn't reflect an organization overall, I've seen enough things this season by several individuals who are former members of that organization to taint that high esteem just a little.

Don't get me wrong; I still have a LOT of respect for the Scouts organization, just not quite as much as before.

And to answer Hockey Dad, no, I think 84skyrydr is reading into that picture EXACTLY what was meant by the person who posted it.

Their brass needs more notes, and more tubas.

Of course they need more tubas.

The staff is well aware of that, and believe me, they tried VERY hard to recruit more tubas during the winter and spring, and all the way up until very recently.

It's an unfortunate fact of life that recruiting is more difficult when you fall out of the top 12, particularly in these tough economic times when the pool of young people who have the talent, have the desire and can afford to march - and afford not to work during the summer - is significantly smaller.

its a chicken and egg thing. some blame the judges. Success comes from consistency. Ive not seen spirit more than once, but is it possible theyre just not a very consistent corps? Inconsistency, especially in the early season there the difference between an on and an off show can be even greater, could create the kind of swings you all seem to be talking about.

As far as my opinion on the show, they do some interesting things with the new instrumentation. However, honestly, it seems like they add this stuff at the expense of the brassline. Their brass needs more notes, and more tubas.

Good question. Maybe they have multiple members fall down some shows and other shows, nobody falls down. If it's the former and not the latter,, it seems the scores tend to actually go up with some Corps for whatever reason which is rather perplexing. I 'm not sure the reason for such extreme volatility in Spirit's scores in the early going most years now. Others on here might be able to point out some plausable reasons for such volatility that Corps above this Corps rarely if ever encounter to this degree.

Edited by BRASSO

I think the judges score them in relation to the top corps at that particular show, and the top corps usually go up from show to show, a few tenths to a point or two. If you are a judge, and expect Cavies to go up 1 point from the previous show (say from an 80 to 81) you need to have the proper spread across the rest of the corps. Depending when Spirit goes on, you need to leave a certain amount of room to score the other corps, and have the spreads make sense. If you have Glassmen, Blue Stars and Phantom still to go on, you need to leave more room than if there is no one to slot between Spirit and Cavies. Compare June 30 (4th place with a score of 69.3) and July 1st (1st place with a score of 73.2) did they get 4 points better overnight? No, but they were the best corps there in South Milwaukee (by a hair) and since then their scores have dropped at shows with a number of better corps going on after them. Judging is not easy...