DCA Showdown Set For Scranton 8/1 – Top 6 Head To Head

Because as UN-Believable as it may seem. The entire Earth does NOT revolve around "DCI".

I think the point was two fantastic shows on the same night. I prefer DCA shows too, but I also appreciate what those kids do in DCI. I make one annual pilgrimage to DCI East so I can see them all once. I'd love to be in Scranton, but I'm not giving up my weekend in Allentown or my time at Lupo's!

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Legal - Sixty;

First off. Give me a beak on the "KIDS" stuff. Almost all the top 15 WC groups are made up of Music Majors in College or Sr. HS Band members. Doing what they feal is BEST for Themselves. Most all in their 20s (Some even 22 years old). Old enough to Sign Legal Binding Contracts. Drink Alcoholic Bevs. Be tried in Adult Court, and Vote. Not your avererage teenager playing Basketball down the street.

Secound of all. With all the Trumpets, Tubas, Dance troupes, Costumes, Props, Amps, Electronics and YES now even GITARS it is hardly "Drum Corps" let alone "Drum and Bugle Corps" Now if you want to call it "Band Corps" or "Band Field Theater" or something. Fine. It is of the Highest Quality. With Very Talented people. No doubt about that.

DCA still has Much more Drum Corps left in it. I must say fading fast. But, still there. But, it is becoming DCI Lite / weekend only. But still also Great.

So it all come down to which "STYLE" of Outdoor - Field - Music and such YOU like best. You can not be WRONG either way.

So UN-like most of the "I - Me - MY - Now" people of today think. There are still a "few" things in life that make you Choose between things at some time.

(My Older cousin John got married on the Same day as my HS Graduation. I went to my Graduation.)

I don't think anyone who is/has been involved thinks that the world revolves around DCI. BUT when the best regular season show of the year occurring on such a major north east drum corps weekend, it does make it difficult. It is absolutely frustrating I have to miss it. My only regular season chance other than finals to see MBI?? :whistle:

Won't George have the Bayonne Corps-orate jet at Allentown? Can't you see both?

Legal - Sixty;

First off. Give me a beak on the "KIDS" stuff. Almost all the top 15 WC groups are made up of Music Majors in College or Sr. HS Band members. Doing what they feal is BEST for Themselves. Most all in their 20s (Some even 22 years old). Old enough to Sign Legal Binding Contracts. Drink Alcoholic Bevs. Be tried in Adult Court, and Vote. Not your avererage teenager playing Basketball down the street.

Secound of all. With all the Trumpets, Tubas, Dance troupes, Costumes, Props, Amps, Electronics and YES now even GITARS it is hardly "Drum Corps" let alone "Drum and Bugle Corps" Now if you want to call it "Band Corps" or "Band Field Theater" or something. Fine. It is of the Highest Quality. With Very Talented people. No doubt about that.

DCA still has Much more Drum Corps left in it. I must say fading fast. But, still there. But, it is becoming DCI Lite / weekend only. But still also Great.

So it all come down to which "STYLE" of Outdoor - Field - Music and such YOU like best. You can not be WRONG either way.

So UN-like most of the "I - Me - MY - Now" people of today think. There are still a "few" things in life that make you Choose between things at some time.

(My Older cousin John got married on the Same day as my HS Graduation. I went to my Graduation.)

I edited my response - not pertinent to this thread.

Edited by Mike_B

Seems like anytime anyone mentions anything about the 'other circuit' or how things in this circuit are today we always end up in a 'well, it ain't drum corps' argument. The only time banging your head against the wall feels good is when you stop doing it.

Call DCI whatever you want to call it - call DCA whatever the heck you want to call it -- and SOME people like both, whatever the heck they want to call either one. But the poster earlier simply stated that it was a shame that two major events - one in each circuit (we can still call it a circuit, right?) both fell on the same night within only a handful of miles of each other -- leaving fans of both circuits (or oligarchies or cabals or idiots with their heads in the sand - whatever we want to call it) with a choice they'd rather not have to make -- which event to attend? The point of the post was not to trigger a side argument about what is or isn't drum corps and who are or aren't kids.

But to return us to the point of the thread in the first place -- whoever decides to park their keester in Scranton on 8/1 is going to see one heck of a drum corps show. Or outdoor band-lite show. Or not-quite-kids-but-kids-at-heart show. Or -- oh screw it......Scranton on 8/1 is going to rock.

Edited by luvscorps

Yo!

If you can go, go. If you can bring people, do so. If you can assist by spiraling this out of control on facebook, go viral!

We in Mn need some work in July and I'm sure Dca members will figure out more ways to better set these regional events in the future.

Create peace,

Brent

Yo!

If you can go, go. If you can bring people, do so. If you can assist by spiraling this out of control on facebook, go viral!

We in Mn need some work in July and I'm sure Dca members will figure out more ways to better set these regional events in the future.

Create peace,

Brent

I know ( with Minn. Brass added ) the people that attend the Scranton Show will be seeing one of the BEST DCA contests ( Other than the Championships ) ever held.