almost a 3 point pop!

A conversation overheard behind the stadium just before the Ogden show:

(group of people in a tight circle, in similar garb..pants and Polos, carrying clipboards...one of them whispers)..."OK, here's the deal...we need to get the scores up before the BIG Texas money shows! So, nomatter how they suck, make sure you score them higher in all captions.

(another voice) "Do we just do the Blue Guys with the yellow dancy people, or everyone!

(reply) "EVERYONE, even the funny looking oldie time army lookin' dudes!"

(another voice) "Well that's not fair!"

(angry reply) "Who said that?"

(no reply)

Edited by Plan9

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

How is it possible that BD wnet up almost 3 full points from the previous show? something change? I expected SCV to be e bt closer than that

How is it possible? Well, despite all the crying that sometimes takes place about scores, and despite the theories that abound, what it means is this:

1. BD got better. It is possible that they got better, perhaps even a lot better. So credit, first, must be given to BD for scoring well. The judges at the show viewed all the corps and felt their show and performance deserved those numbers in each caption.

2. If you expected SCV to be closer, as you mention, you must understand that both SCV and BD will improve. But will they improve at the same rate, will they make changes at the same rate, will they benefit from those changes at the same rate? You see, these are variables for which only the performance on the field provides answers...not theory. So on the field it was clear that BD, in the eyes of the judges, is still the better corps.

3. Finally, SCV was beat by 2.15 points. It looks worse than it was, but SCV had nearly an 85 (84.9), so the spread between them and BD is still about the same, and it's not something that SCV can't make up.

Ever since they got rid of the tick system you really cannot accurately compare scores show to show. To a point maybe but it is not exact. Correct me if I am wrong, but the scores are based off of the first score given and then they are pretty much comparing the corps to those who have gone on before them. This is what makes it really hard to compare who would beat who year to year. Just remember it is fun to compare scores but far from an exact science.

Ever since they got rid of the tick system you really cannot accurately compare scores show to show. To a point maybe but it is not exact. Correct me if I am wrong, but the scores are based off of the first score given and then they are pretty much comparing the corps to those who have gone on before them. This is what makes it really hard to compare who would beat who year to year. Just remember it is fun to compare scores but far from an exact science.

Not sure if your "first score" concept is actually true, but this is at least a civil approach to answering the thread.

I agree. Also, With more "top" corps at a show, the lower the scores will be. When there are only 2 top corps battling it out, the scores generally are higher.

Look at the Bluecoats. Their score jumped over 3 points.

Not sure if your "first score" concept is actually true, but this is at least a civil approach to answering the thread.

I am curious how the scoring could work if it isn't done this way. I read many posts, in this and other threads, that suggest that the lower scoring shows are scored based on the winning score of that night. For that to be accurate, judges would have to go back and assign all of that night's score after the top ceded corps performs, which is usually last. That, to me, just doesn't seem right, nor fair to anyone.

Aren't corps scored as they perform? They should be.

Um, it should be painfully obvious to all that the powers that be have decided that they (for some inexplicable reason) actually LIKE what the Devils are doing to Drum Corps.

And the judges have been instructed to score accordingly.

Personally, I haven't liked a Devil's show since 2000- but some people seem to.

Um, it should be painfully obvious to all that the powers that be have decided that they (for some inexplicable reason) actually LIKE what the Devils are doing to Drum Corps.

And the judges have been instructed to score accordingly.

Personally, I haven't liked a Devil's show since 2000- but some people seem to.

Wow. Just wow.

Did the Devs cut you in 2001 or something?

Wow. Just wow.

Did the Devs cut you in 2001 or something?

Nah, he's just a honk and a FMM of the Cavs and apparently thinks DCI is " instructing " all the judges to put the fix in for the Blue Devils.

West coast inflation.

just sayin.......