Pay to Play?

CNN Story

I found this news piece to be very interesting. And while this isn't specifcally DCI related, it could have implications to DCI, especially a decrease in eligible participants. I understand both sides of the argument, but it really does bother me that students would not have the equal opportunity to participate in sports or the arts if they did not have the money to do it; the money, which as we all know, is becoming harder and harder for families to spend on the extras.

I have to say though, I am glad this is equally discriminating between athletics and the arts. More often than not, money will pour into athletic programs, but be cut from the arts.

What do you think? Does anyone know of public school systems that have already gone this route, and if so, how has it affected those programs?

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the high school I instruct at, they’ve been charging $100 a sport for probably 7 or 8 years, although they might charge more now. Parking is also $100/year for students that choose to drive to school. Music programs, thankfully, remain fee-free, largely due to the hard fundraising work of the Music Parents group. The band staff is mostly alums that are there to improve the program, not to make top dollar, so that certainly helps as well. At the same time, there are costs associated with marching in the band: shoes, gloves, uniform dry cleaning and overnight trips all require contributions from the students’ families.

I think the $100/sport is relatively cheap though, from what I’ve heard about fees of neighboring school districts.

CNN Story

I found this news piece to be very interesting. And while this isn't specifcally DCI related, it could have implications to DCI, especially a decrease in eligible participants. I understand both sides of the argument, but it really does bother me that students would not have the equal opportunity to participate in sports or the arts if they did not have the money to do it; the money, which as we all know, is becoming harder and harder for families to spend on the extras.

I have to say though, I am glad this is equally discriminating between athletics and the arts. More often than not, money will pour into athletic programs, but be cut from the arts.

What do you think? Does anyone know of public school systems that have already gone this route, and if so, how has it affected those programs?

One question: D0 you get a grade for Band? YES (and Jazz Ens, Marching Band, Choir, etc...at least where I went to school!)

MUSIC IS CURRICULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get this at all. Since when did band become EXTRA-curricular? Sports do not get grades (maybe there are exceptions)

My father-in-law (huge football fan...band, not so much) used to say "If you fail a class, and you're in band, you shouldn't be allowed to play the concert/halftime" basically equating the football player who has to miss a game b/c of grades. I always came back with "Band is CURRICLUAR! You get a grade for it. That's like saying that if you get an F in Math, you shouldn't be allowed to take a Science test!"

The video above continues the myth that band and sports are somehow morally equivalent....that is, expendable. If sports are THAT important, then make them CURRICULAR. History has shown that music (all creative arts) deserve to be curricular.

The majority of Ohio schools now have PTP fees. The cost varies greatly. Most charge considerably more for sports than they do for fine arts because the associated costs are so much more, but a few districts charge the same. I know one school in central Ohio is charging their students $800 per activity this coming year. That same school system eliminated about 75% of their music teaching positions for next year. All of the district's band directors were "riffed" because they were on the bottom end of the seniority level...even with 15 years or more experience. I believe a general music teacher is now in charge of the band program.

The fees are having an impact in membership at most schools, especially if the fee is charged at the middle school level. The fee is also having major impact of the non-revenue generating sports such as cross country, tennis, golf etc.

A nearby school had a $500 per season activity fee for marching band and a fundraiser commitment. In Maryland school systems are county wide and this year all activity fees were banned. So I'm not sure how that will impact that particular band. It was a relatively small band (~40 members total) from a school in a wealthy area. Marching band isn't as popular here, so I don't know if it's popularity, the activity fees or the director's desire to compete in a smaller category that kept the band small.

In high school I had to pay around $300 to be in the band (equipment fees, location fees, etc.). It's been going on for a long time. But what do you expect? State funding for the arts is at an all time low, especially in Alabama where at my high school we had ZERO funding for the arts (band, choir, all of it). If the state isn't paying, someone has to.

Edited by SF2K4

That's like saying that if you get an F in Math, you shouldn't be allowed to take a Science test!"

Oh if only that were the case :devil:

One question: D0 you get a grade for Band? YES (and Jazz Ens, Marching Band, Choir, etc...at least where I went to school!)

MUSIC IS CURRICULAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't get this at all. Since when did band become EXTRA-curricular? Sports do not get grades (maybe there are exceptions)

My father-in-law (huge football fan...band, not so much) used to say "If you fail a class, and you're in band, you shouldn't be allowed to play the concert/halftime" basically equating the football player who has to miss a game b/c of grades. I always came back with "Band is CURRICLUAR! You get a grade for it. That's like saying that if you get an F in Math, you shouldn't be allowed to take a Science test!"

The video above continues the myth that band and sports are somehow morally equivalent....that is, expendable. If sports are THAT important, then make them CURRICULAR. History has shown that music (all creative arts) deserve to be curricular.

Not sure I entirely agree -- competitive (and exhibition, for that matter) marching band is seperate from the music class. Not entirely, but it's kinda like math class vs being on the math contest team. One is curricular, the other extra-curricular. Also, there are often members of the marching band who aren't in "band" -- color guard for example may or may not be in a graded "band" or "music" class.

So I do get what your saying about it not being the same as sports, but I also don't think it's necessarily the same as the curricular music or band class, imo.

Edited by Liam

From what I remember of my high school days.

Activity fees (anything not meeting during school hours) were $50-75 during the time I was there. For sports, you also had an additional $10 locker/towel fee (but this was waived if you were in PE during the season).

Co-curricular (fall color guard, percussion) was nothing additional that went to the school. There were fundraisers that the boosters held during the year to help defray the costs of going to competitions and I only remember a small fee at band camp for two years, and the one year we went to BOA Grand Nationals we had an extra $75 due. Any trips we had for choir we had fundraisers for and covered the rest out of pocket, but we did not have a booster club for choir.

I know that not all districts are set up the same, but I bet that a lot could be learned from certain organizations on how to help keep costs down for the students.

It is indeed a dilemma of how to pay for programs that many would consider to be optional when school districts are faced with huge shortfalls. I was fortunate enough not to have to pay a fee for music, but I did have to provide my own consumable and shoes, as well as cleaning and upkeep on my uniform and school owned instrument. And of course, I had to pay to go on the optional annual band trip.

When it comes to "pass-to-play" policies, there is often a huge injustice:

One district where I was involved with a band program, when they instituted their "pass to play" policy specifically applied it to band and most "lesser" sports, but exempted football programs. Made it seem like a poorly designed symbolic move toward political correctness.

Edited by j.morgus