PAYING CUSTOMERS/AUDIENCE

No, but if in every game in April and half way through May they switched to Tee-Ball after 6 innings because their bull pen wasn't ready for the season, I would be very upset.

I think that this analogy is very close,

[with no scenery or costumes, either]

especially in light of the fact that the activity is being marketed as "entertainment" and "spectacle" and not so much as a competitive youth activity. Fans of the corps in that show might not care, but it does give these unfinished shows an attitude that value for the paying customer is secondary to what the performers want to present.

The corps aren't just sitting around during May and early June saying "Well... we COULD get the whole show on the field, but we just really don't feel like it"

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see it being much different than going to some sporting events. Most NBA and college basketball teams play better at the end of the year...tickets cost the same at the beginning of the season.

Exactly!

The tickets to see Penn State vs toledo are the same as Penn State vs Ohio State (well, face value anyway..lol)

The corps aren't just sitting around during May and early June saying "Well... we COULD get the whole show on the field, but we just really don't feel like it"

Certainly they aren't. If this was an occasional problem for the occasional corps, then we could assume that for situations beyond that corps control, they weren't able to get their production finished. But that doesn't seem to be the case. This has become the norm for many (if not most) corps, so it is obviously part of the game plan for the season.

It's not that they "really don't feel like it", it is more that they don't feel that it is necessary. This goes back to the idea that what is really important in drum corps is the score on one night in August.

Easiest answer I came up with after going to a bunch of early, midseason and late season shows. You get what you pay for. You get entertainment. You get it at different levels, and different qualities. Racine Scouts with a full show is not as entertaining as Cavaliers with a 3/4 show and no guard unis, but they are both entertaining. Don't go to an early show and expect a finished product. The only finished product is in the very last show of the season. Just go, pay and enjoy. Life is to short to worry about someones unis or 2 minutes lack of guardwork. Shows are here and gone too fast each year, so ENJOY. No matter the cost.

The point is being missed here.

Yes, there is much value to the product that is presented at early season shows, primarily because it is fundamentally an opportunity to observe young people performing art. Whatever it is, it is always appreciated, and the value of the experience will always come down to the individual that chooses to purchase a ticket.

The point I'm making is that the organizations (corps and DCI) are marketing a "product" that is labeled as "World Class," "Marching Music's Major League, " etc., and that the event is a competition. It is therefore an appropriate, reasonable and responsible objective to provide a "reasonably complete" program, meaning that it meets a specified minimum performance time criteria that includes simultaneous musical and visual content. Of course the program will develop over the season, get better, etc. That is a separate issue from deliberately planning on not providing the last 2 minutes or more of music and/or visual content when it is otherwise possible to do so.

If not at the start of the season, then when is it okay to expect a reasonably complete product, late June, mid July, early August, never? And who decides what is an acceptable timeline? Why not expect the corps to be reasonably prepared at the start of the season? Most are... yet we've come to expect and accept the same corps each year not marching a full show at the start, and they always get a pass. Why?

Finally, IMO (though I assume it wasn't intentional) I'm sure that anyone associated with Racine Scouts would feel quite unappreciated based upon your statement. Cavies get a pass and praise for not being ready, and Racine Scouts get put down, even when they've prepared themselves to provide a full show for the audience that has made personal sacrifices to see them perform.

Fan Network (and God) has not been kind for the Midwestern corp so far. I wonder whether the poor video quality (comparing to the West Coast & Annapolis) coming out of Midwest affect the lack of love for Cavies and Phantom so far on DCP. I am so looking forward to PR's coming back.

My own opinion is that the ticket buyer is paying to see a contest. While it is nice that the event also has entertainment value, there are no warranties made as to the degree of artistry/entertainment of the programs. Just as no refunds are given when a skater checks out of a planned triple axel, doing a double instead, I wouldn't expect a refund for a corps having incomplete guard work or drill.

However....

I agree that there should be consequences for incomplete programs. At the very least, judges should score based on the quality and quantity of what is presented. Better yet, DCI should also enforce undertime penalties at early-season shows.

Well spoken.

Analogies to movies or similar entertainment are not very valid. Movies are *always* complete before they're released. As for major league sports -- just like drumcorps they are playing by the rules of their respective games. Since the corps make their own rules, don't expect to see penalties for incomplete shows any time soon.

Hi all, I don't post much here, but had to put in my two cents.....probably the actual value of what I have to say. First of all, I have a long family history in drum corps....specifically the Blue Stars. I have never been able to attend more then one show a year for most of my life, and in fact have seen one show in the last three years (basically due to no LaCrosse show). When I get to go to a show, I am thrilled to be there. I get to see the corps, hear great music, and enjoy what I know to be the best entertainment value I can get. Do I sit there and think I am not getting my money's worth for a $20 ticket. No, not even close. I walk out of the show excited, thrilled, and full of praise for all the corps I see and the work they have done...no matter when in the season it is. :whistle: I hope I didn't sound too crabby, but this is an honest opinion by an audience member who loves drum corps!!!

Here's the deal :

Sponsors every year charge what the market will allow.

Since you know that some Corps arn't prepared each June, you get to make the judgement call each June as to whether or not you want to buy the ticket or take a pass.

As for the other fans decision to buy a ticket and why the bought it and what they expect to get from that purchase ,that's frankly none of your business, nor mine. Maybe they bought the ticket to get out of the house, or to support the sponsor, or see a child or relative march or any number of reasons besides seeing a finished and polished "World Class product ". It's not my money. It's not your money. It's entirely between the sponsor and the ticket purchaser as to whether or not they got their money's worth in the end. For someone who wanted to just get out of the house and see some friends or alums at the show that they might not have seen for awhile, they might have thought the purchase of the ticket was more than worth the price of admission.

Edited by BRASSO

One would never buy tickets to a movie and accept that it just stopped 3/4 of the way through. You also wouldn't see a movie screen go black, and just hear the audio for the last few scenes.

they just push the release date back

At a play, you would never see the actors stop moving and read their lines for the later scenes. (I think most people would ask for their money back.) As the supposed "major league" of marching music, why is this considered acceptable? The season starts in June. Prepare accordingly.

I bet there are a fair number of plays that go on without having all the stuff they were supposed to have.

Where is the acceptable middle between "not yet ready" and "championship quality"?