People that post the most in this forum

Is it me or do the people that post the most in this form have little or no drum corps marching experience? I mean, isn't it kinda difficult to relate the idea of drum corps if someone has actually never done it but talks about it all the time?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Is it me or do the people that post the most in this form have little or no drum corps marching experience?

It is just you

I mean, isn't it kinda difficult to relate the idea of drum corps if someone has actually never done it but talks about it all the time?

I can talk to people about football without having ever played.

Here is a newsflash that a lot of people who march drum corps need to hear:

Marching drum corps doesn't make you any better than anyone else.

I only marched one year... but I feel like I have good opinions. :laughing:

I only marched one year... but I feel like I have good opinions. :laughing:

You marched a year, that's important. Some here say drum corps isn't instruments or anything else but the experience. I mean, doesn't one have to be part of the experience to have a frame of reference?

It is just you

I can talk to people about football without having ever played.

Here is a newsflash that a lot of people who march drum corps need to hear:

Marching drum corps doesn't make you any better than anyone else.

Haha. I agree. But with some on here you would think they believe not marching makes them better than anyone else. So there's a flip-side to that coin.

Someone needs to call them out! Can someone please post a listing of the most frequent posters so that they can attach their references?

This again. It's a fair question, really. I'm just a huge fan since the late 80s who was also in a Marine field band and who teaches marching band. I'm a nut for drum corps, and would march a DCA if there were any near me. I have no problem with people not respecting my opinions for whatever reasons they want, including my lack of ever having marched in DCI.

You marched a year, that's important. Some here say drum corps isn't instruments or anything else but the experience. I mean, doesn't one have to be part of the experience to have a frame of reference?

According to some people, yes, obviously.

You all will never believe who checked my profile just before posting this thread. :laughing:

I've never marched drum corps, but I am a part of the experience: as a audience member. One of drum corps main purposes is to perform, is it not? There are many out there who have been around drum corps in this manner, along with volunteering, having friends/family who march(ed), etc. Not having marched doesn't make their opinion null and void. However, I wouldn't begin to pretend that I know everything about it all, and I do know that marching gives someone much more knowledge of the inner workings of drum corps.

Is it me or do the people that post the most in this form have little or no drum corps marching experience? I mean, isn't it kinda difficult to relate the idea of drum corps if someone has actually never done it but talks about it all the time?

I've not noticed.

Also, PLENTY of people on here have drum corps experience as both instructors/members/etc. and just don't feel the need to state it in their profiles or signatures. I don't see anything wrong with that personally: I see just as many idiotic statements from FMM's as I do from non-participants.

* edit: for the record, I did march somewhere, and I taught somewhere I just never updated my profile.

I also have 'favorite corps/years' but didn't update that either :laughing:

** double edit

I also think that sometimes FMM's think that their experience either a) gives them more of a right/opinion than non-FMM's, and b) gives them a false sense of superiority over non-FMM's.

Edited by perc2100