DCI World Championships to be broadcast in HD

Now that we know it's being shot in HD, the question is: Do we buy the standard definition 2009 DVDs, or do we wait for the possible high def version? There's no telling how long it might be before they make a high def version of 2009, IF they ever do. Will it be Blu-Ray? Downloadable? Some new holographic disc format? Uploaded directly to our brain implants? Holo-Deck version? Simstim? Super-Ultra-Nano-SD card? (size of a grain of sand, holds 2 terabytes)

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If they ever did go to Blu-ray, I hope they could use the "uncompressed audio" format that many movies have available. In my opinion, the differences in audio from a regular DVD are even greater than video. Uncompressed audio would be ridiculous. :thumbup:

Uncompressed audio takes up alot of space on disc. They would be better off using Dolby TrueHD or even better Dts HD MA as it is just a hair more efficient than DTHD

Now that we know it's being shot in HD, the question is: Do we buy the standard definition 2009 DVDs, or do we wait for the possible high def version? There's no telling how long it might be before they make a high def version of 2009, IF they ever do. Will it be Blu-Ray? Downloadable? Some new holographic disc format? Uploaded directly to our brain implants? Holo-Deck version? Simstim? Super-Ultra-Nano-SD card? (size of a grain of sand, holds 2 terabytes)

More than likely you are still looking at standard def for a year or two. But it's still going to be an upgrade in quality with the new equipment. You WILL notice a big difference.

This one-night-only event will feature the complete performances of the top 15 World Class corps and highlights from the seven additional that will have performed earlier that day.

15?!? Lame. We all know the cut-off is 17 for semis, so what's the big deal on adding two more shows? I say boo DCI....from my theatre seat :thumbup: .

It is good news. Even only in DVD (rather than BluRay), this should make for a noticably better picture on the DVD. A lot of people were complaining this year (including me) that the 2008 DCI DVD did not look as good as other standard definition DVDs, even though it was in widescreen. It seemed like they just framed it widescreen without processing it anamorphically, and the picture quality was subpar. Sounds like DCI was listening and ponied up the extra dough to keep the HD cameras around for two more days and process accordingly.

And yes, it does sound like they're staying flexible in being able to reissue 2009 DVDs in BluRay later if they think the demand is there (which they would not be able to do, in true BluRay, with 2008 and earlier-- because they didn't tape earlier finals with sufficient resolution).

DCI should come out and say right now if they plan on releasing this year in Blu-Ray. If I shell out $139 for their World Class DVD and then they decide next year or the year after to release the shows in BR retroactively, I will be P.O.'d. Period. They let the cat out of the bag..... they may as well go all the way with it right now.

Edited by Machine