Which shows needed the DCP boards?

I haven't made it to the Bridgemen on the DVDs yet. Tell me about it. What kind of music did they play? Why controversial? Did they do controversy with talent (like Star) or just controversy with mediocre playing? I think one of the things that has made the Star show sting for so long is that they did it SO FREAKING WELL.

ummmmm .... really no way to explain it quickly .... you kinda have to see for yourself

Let's just say that irreverence was involved .... :devil:

(oh, and some kicka** drum and horn lines :devil: )

Edited by Liam

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

ummmmm .... really no way to explain it quickly .... you kinda have to see for yourself

Let's just say that irreverence was involved .... :devil:

(oh, and some kicka** drum and horn lines :devil: )

I think a lot more "reverence" was required during that time frame. I guess they weren't VK crazy? I'm guessing there is a diffence between clownish and devious.

Put it this way, without Bridgemen, VK wouldn't have gotten away with half the stuff they did on the field. The Bridgemen were VK before VK was VK. :devil:

Put it this way, without Bridgemen, VK wouldn't have gotten away with half the stuff they did on the field. The Bridgemen were VK before VK was VK. :devil:

Right -- Bridgemen took all the heat. VK just picked up the mantle and ran with it.

No internet, of course, but there were plenty of arguments right in the crowd about Bridgemen not being drum corps and not being respectful of tradition and all that -- the uniforms, the way they sauntered to their opening spots, the irreverent shows (the football game, the civil war, etc). Once they started playing, though, it was hard to argue -- this was one solid drum corps no matter what you thought of their irreverence. And the drum line ... :devil:

No doubt Bridgemen would have been a focal point for all the usual arguments year in and year out if DCP were around back then.

Edited by Liam

One regret I actually have is that many of the threads from DCP's creation have been lost. Right now the oldest threads are from 2005. It'd be great to go back to read some of those reviews from the Cavaliers 2002 show, or the initial reactions to amped shows in 2004.

oh the 04 threads and reviews on amps.

:devil:

AQUA!!!!!!!

(There ... you are now up to speed :devil: )

(some amount of money to ~G~ )

YOWZA!

:devil:

Also Bridgemen of the late 70s into 80s ... talk about a natural for DCPs "isn't real drum corps"/"is real drum corps" template :devil:

Oh Hell yeah.... And how did they move with such long coats. One thing that sticks out was 1977 when they played "Land of Make Believe" in concert. They had two guard members take off their unis and start dancing. First time I remember unis coming off and the non-DC dancing was a big WTF.

Remember it as 1977 as I was in the college band that one (only one) year and we went to a Western PA band show as an exhibition. One band copied B-mens show and guy next to me (ex-Finleyville Royal Crusader) said: "If I see anyone doing a bugaloo out there, I'm going back on the bus".

PS - Boston doing "Axel F" with the synth......

And going waaaaay back:

Garfields peace sign (or was it an upside down Mercedes emblem).

Blue Rocks "Baby Elephant" sqawk (sop mouthpiece in contra???)

Edited by JimF-3rdBari

what about the talk of the oakland crusaders drumline that won prelims but the corps didn't make finals so the drumline had no chance to get the drum trophy. And from what I understand they won prelims and all season going away with noone even close to them.

I'll bet there would have been a lot of chatter about how they should still get the drum title and such.

Just a note -- I remember going to my mom's place of work in 1993 to use dial-up internet to post on a board or something. The dial-up service was Prodigy...the board was probably a newsgroup...probably RAMD. So drum corps internet postings have been around sixteen years...however, probably lacked influence until later.