Does anyone here remember the very first San Antonio show?

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Was it this stadium?

thumb_sanantonio_7035.jpg

Yep, that is it... I remember looking at that apartment building and thinking "Wow, what a cool view, I wonder how many new fans we will get out of that building tonight?" :tongue: :tongue: :tongue:

Off topic, but I'd like to take a second and thank you for your service to our country. My roommate has been in the ROTC program here at UA and is currently in Washington training for another certification, I'm not sure which, but I've had the pleasure to meet numerous ROTC cadets as well as a handful of enlisted men and I have nothing but the utmost respect for the great service you are doing for all of us. If you're ever in Tuscaloosa, I'll buy you a beer! :shutup:

Don't forget the ONE entry gate for all the fans. Stood in line for hours just to get in the stadium, and I had a corps staff pass! Imagine how it was for walk-up ticket buyers.

Great times. I drove with my cousin in a pick-up truck all the way from Phoenix to Houston in one day. We only stopped for the occasional stretch. I remember stopping in Seguin for breakfast and we both fell asleep at the table. The waitress had to wake us up, but checking our watch she actually let us sleep for about 30 minutes. Went to the show in Houston. The next day we drove and got lost for a little on the way to Killeen. That was a fun show and my cousin became very smitten with one of BD's pit members. Finally on to San Antonio. Got bored that night, and went to go see the Alamo at about 2:00 in the morning. It was cool and little spooky seeing it at night. We pretty much had the entire place to ourselves. As stated above, the line to get in to Alamo stadium was long. We snuck in our usual water and snacks and that proved to be a wise decision. For some reason we just could not figure out where our seats were. Someone would come and move us. We got shifted around a couple times, each time getting closer to the 50. Winded up having great seats. It was a pleasure seeing what would eventually be the top 5 corps for that year. I remember BD's awesome baritones and guard, Cadets colorful ballad with all those flags, Cavies closer Machine, SCV's throw down, and the impressive Glassmen (the music was just fantastic). We had an impressive BK, upcoming Crown, southern style Spirit but with those ugly cream uniforms, Boston played conquest, and KKavs were not too shabby with their Gershwin show. I'll have to dig out my photos, but I still have pictures from that show.

I remember that show. That show and the free day following were the only opportunity I've had to visit San Antonio but I really enjoyed it all. Even if it was 110 degrees while we were there.

Same with me.

The biggest down side that day for me was the wind. That night I had a shako that was nice and relaxed fitting. After that show, I wore a shako that was too uncomfortable but NOT sliding around me head in a strong wind!

Just to think... MidSeason CDs use to be cut at Murfeesboro...