In The News: In Need Of $50,000, Oregon Crusaders Marching Band

OC is on the road!!

The OC tour fee this year was $2000.

While I would agree that some serious attention needs to be paid to fundraising and being more proactive, I find it hilarious how everyone on here writes like they really know what is going on with a corps that they have nothing to do with.

I appreciate everyone that donated to OC both locally and in the DCP family.

OC will finally get scored on open class score sheets in five days. It will be interesting to see how their numbers come out.

See some of you in Indy!

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OC is on the road!!

While I would agree that some serious attention needs to be paid to fundraising and being more proactive, I find it hilarious how everyone on here writes like they really know what is going on with a corps that they have nothing to do with.

OC will finally get scored on open class score sheets in five days. It will be interesting to see how their numbers come out.

See some of you in Indy!

Actually everyone here is responding to the information in the article.

Which IMO does not paint the finances of OC in a good light at all.

What's actually going on with the corps may be different, but to an outsider and emergency, last-second fundraiser begging the community for money just to go on the tour that was planned does not seem like a particularly good thing.

I am, however, very happy to hear that OC is on the road to Indy, and wish them well.

Because a drum corps is a marching band. I'm sorry if this "offends" people, but it's true. All drum corps are marching bands, but all marching bands are not drum corps. To the average viewer they are the same thing, and when you write an article about a group that is in need of money, you're going to want people to know what it is they are supporting.

I don't necessarily agree with the first part of this but good point about the whole 'average viewer' thing! :doh:

See the update at www.oregoncrusaders.org. The Portland community, and its Mayor Sam Adams, all pulled for the corps this evening and raised the amount needed for a successful trip (PICTURES). Thanks to everyone who helped, and all the best to the Oregon Crusaders for a great year. First up: Omaha.

OC is on the road!!

See some of you in Indy!

Well done, OC. We look forward to seeing you in Omaha, then Indianapolis. Yes, the Omaha contest will be very interesting. It will be the first time the midwest open class corps have gone head-to-head with the top west coast outfits. The scoring will be very interesting.

p.s., some of us don't know what you are going through, but we are going through similar circumstances. So we can sympathize, and empathize.

So, should we trash the Troopers now?

When the national recession first hit we were insulated because the local Casper economy remained strong. That all changed this year when commodity prices collapsed. One of our board members told us that the natural resources firms in Casper had record business last October, but were laying off workers by February.

As a result, our business support is down significantly this year. Donations to our biggest fundraising event, A Night With the Stars, came in surprisingly lower than expected. The businesses that have supported us so well and so faithfully the last few years simply could not sustain their usual contributions, or could not even make one at all. A much-anticipated golf tournament with the Wyoming Cavalry received no response whatsoever. It's been cancelled.

Through all of this, our drum corps is still out there, in the heat and under the lights, doing all the things they do best. But they need fuel: fuel for their bodies, which are working out hard up to 12 hours a day; and fuel for the buses that get them to their next competition.

In order to keep our drum corps on this very successful path, both for this season and next, we must find alternatives for the Food and Fuel fund. While individual supporters like you have already stepped up and made many donations to this fund and the Adopt-A-Trooper fund, the price of fuel is not decreasing and the amount of food that our 130 excellent kids plus staff and volunteers ingest at every meal is not diminishing.

Maybe they shouldn't have gone on tour. [/sarcasm]

How about everyone putting their money where their mouth is and putting a $5, $10 or a $20 in OC's gas can at Finals. The Cadets and Blue Devils will survive, corps like OC and REVO need and appreciate every dollar that comes their way. I've always felt that the Open Class corps are the foundation that supports the World class corps.

"As a result, our business support is down significantly this year. Donations to our biggest fundraising event, A Night With the Stars, came in surprisingly lower than expected. The businesses that have supported us so well and so faithfully the last few years simply could not sustain their usual contributions, or could not even make one at all. A much-anticipated golf tournament with the Wyoming Cavalry received no response whatsoever. It's been cancelled."

Must be bad management as we all know that's the only reason why corps have problems.

(more sarcasm)

So, should we trash the Troopers now?

Maybe they shouldn't have gone on tour. [/sarcasm]

Excellent post, Kevin! I am glad to see my $25 was well invested. Good luck OC!

P.S. Why did you have to bring my alum, Strongsville, into the equation? :doh:

Edited by crfrey71

Congrats OC! Glad you guys made it out on the road! :tongue: